Talk

Advanced search

Shorthaul Destinations ideal for Toddlers

(32 Posts)
Janbo25 Sat 30-Jun-07 11:44:29

Hi we are looking at booking our 2008 summer holiday, ideally we are after somewhere which is no longer than a 3.5 hour flight away from the uk and somewhere which is not real bustling however somewhere which as plenty of bars and restuarants suitable for children. I like the bars where they have outdoor play areas for the kids to play whilst you have a drink??

So then any suggestions lol?

Janbo25 Sat 30-Jun-07 12:08:16

bump ??

Janbo25 Sat 30-Jun-07 20:06:55

surely there is someone who can recommend somewhere lol?

Mirage Sat 30-Jun-07 21:06:04

We liked Cambrils in Spain,lovely beaches & pretty harbour & town.Flight is about an hour & transfer 30-45 minutes.

Pefkos in Rhodes is ideal for toddlers,most of the bars/restuarants have play areas & the beaches are lovely.It is a quiet,family orientated place.We were there 2 wks ago with dd's who are 3 & 2 & were very impressed.Flight time was nearly 4 hours though.

Leslaki Sun 01-Jul-07 10:00:36

We've always taken ours camping in France as it's ideal for families. As toddlrers they couldn't use kids cliub but all the pools were geared up for little people (although 18mo dd spent one holiday paddling in the foot wash area!!) All restauarnts tend to ahve play areas near/in/beside them. If you go out of the school hols everyone else will have toddlers and pre-schoolers so loads of friends! Some sites have bouncy castles etc but all have play areas. Can get some sites on a beacha nd the mobile homes are fab. Most come with a BBQ so it's nice in the evening just to stay round your mobile with a glass of vino in one hand, kids digging in your pitch and dh BBQing!

On the other hand, when ds was a baby we went to Cala'n bosch in Menorca which was very family oriented. The main square leading to the harbour had restaurants around it and an area for bands to play in the middle. Most families had the parentrs eating while the kids ran round the middle of the square whether a band was playing or not! It looked ideal. Luckily we had a sleeping baby and could go to a uiet restuarant!

PollyLogos Sun 01-Jul-07 11:00:57

I always recommend Tsilivi in Zakynthos.

Very family orientated

Long sandy beach very shallow sea (and therefore warm especially towards the end of summer

Plenty to do

http://www.gozakynthos.gr/tsilivi.zakynthos.php

google it plenty of sites!

MrsSpoon Sun 01-Jul-07 13:36:18

I am currently recommending this . The area is very child friendly, children are more than welcome in all the restaurants, there are a number of restaurants/bars located right on the edge of the beach which is lovely as when the children get fed up they can build sandcastles whilst you finish your meal/have a drink. The area also has the advantage of being 'between two seas', you have the Med on one side with it's long white sandy beaches and the safe, shallow, warm waters of the Mar Menor (meaning minor sea, this is Europe's largest salt water lake) which is very suited to young children.

aznerak Mon 02-Jul-07 08:10:06

Message withdrawn

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 08:20:34

I'd strongly recommend mrs spoons idea too.
I've been to that area two years running and we're heading back again this year. I have four childre (now 7, 5, and 2 year old twins). So we really need a villa, which gives us the space and facilities for the kids. The area is lovely, there are some gorgeous parks. Around that area there are parks on the beach, and head up the coast and torrevieja has some great parks too. The people are so welcoming to the children and the spanish culture menas we could take them out with us late at night and no one blinked an eyelid. That sort of area is quieter than places like benidorm too, and there are plently of nice little towns where tourists aren't so common.

JoshandJamie Mon 02-Jul-07 08:36:42

Tots to France has some lovely properties, self catering and all fully kitted out with kids equipment so you don't need to take it all with you. Very safety conscious too - so enclosed swimming pools, stairgates, baby monitors etc all provided.

Depending on which property you choose, there are some either in villages or close to villages with restaurants / pubs etc - plus some of them also offer home cooked meals as an option so you don't have to cook all the time. And they have english speaking babysitters.

MrsSpoon Mon 02-Jul-07 15:35:29

chopster, I agree the parks on the beach are great, in fact there seem to be at least a set of swings, if not a full blown park, round every corner. We like to eat in the Port area when we visit and there is a park in the middle of the road which is great for bribery - "be good at dinner and you can play at the park on the way home" that sort of thing.

MrsSpoon Mon 02-Jul-07 15:42:25

>quick hijack< Chopster, have we talked about La Manga before? Trying to remember if it was you, I'm bad with names, and I can't find the thread.

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 16:08:33

yeah might have been before I changed my name, was kelly1978 before.

MrsSpoon Mon 02-Jul-07 16:41:53

Chopster, the convo I am thinking of must have been in 'Chat' and has been deleted. Did you recommend a little town with a chinese restaurant where the children play out in the square whilst you eat?

MrsSpoon Mon 02-Jul-07 16:44:13

Ah, it was you, I've found the thread!

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 16:54:56

Menorca, Menorca MENORCA

we have been here for the last 2 years and will peobably go again next year.

The apartments themselves are lovely, very clean with spacious rooms, great pool with a lifeguard/first-aider, they run a kids club with lots of things to do and also have suitable shows in the night for all the family. The resort itself is perfect, its about a 5 minute walk so you dont here any noise, not that there is much, the resort centre is around a pretty marina with a few bars and lots of restaurants.

Basically it has everything you need for the children, its very safe, quiet but not dead, children are welcome in all bars and eateries at any time of day or night.

Cant recommend highly enough, we love it

funkimummy Mon 02-Jul-07 16:55:46

Definitely Spain. They love kids and it's sooo child friendly. Not like over here!

EHM Mon 02-Jul-07 17:15:52

I agree with mosschops we went to Menorca in May with our 1 year old. We stayed here Had a fab time & the Insotel team where fab with the kids.
We booked through First Choice.

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:18:14

we went first choice too EHM, brilliant from every aspect

EHM Mon 02-Jul-07 17:20:12

mosschops we had such a great time I wish we could go back tomorrowespecially to escape the rain We checked the price on line, then went into the First Choice Shop as we wanted to check out a few things. They where helpful.

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:22:02

me too, I would love to go again sooner than next year but no availability (or money lol).
We looked online then First Choice matched the price in the shop, they were great flights and transfers and everything really, and their insurance was priceless (ds ill whilst there)

EHM Mon 02-Jul-07 17:25:12

hope ds is ok now.

ELR Mon 02-Jul-07 17:26:21

mosschops what was the name of your resort and hotel as if you click on link it just takes you to first choice website

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:26:33

yeah fine thanks <sorry for hijack jambo but you have to choose menorca>

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:27:31

Weird its ok when I click on it, maybe because I did the thread??

Its the Viva Menorca Apts in Cala N Bosch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now