Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for nice, family friendly hotels in Amsterdam please?

(6 Posts)
Mrbatters Wed 27-Jun-07 13:49:11

Thinking of going there with dp and dd in August for a few days.

Would like a comfortable and good hotel.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

bluesky Wed 27-Jun-07 17:27:59

We stayed in Hotel Estherea

Brilliant location and very friendly, speak good english.

We had a large room with the sofa bed turned into a bed for the 2 boys.

We walked everywhere. it wasn't on a busy street which was good.

It has really good reviews on tripadvisor.co.uk which is where I found it.

They have a huge coffee/hot choc machine in the reception, so whenever you get back you can sit down for a FREE cuppa. The boys LOVED the hot choc.

Also there is a huge fish tank, which kept our two amused for ages.

Breakfasts were good, but some mornings we ate in cafes, especially on the Ann Frank Museum day, you need to get there BEFORE it opens, the queues are horrendous as it is such a small place. (top tip if the queue is too much, there is a pedal boat stop just there, so you can take a pedalo out on the canal, caused much amusement with my 2!) We had a really good breakfast at a bagel/coffee cafe near there.

Great italian restaurant opposite, over the canal and to the left, the hotel will tell you the name (think its in the room folder) it was BRILLIANT.

Anything else just ask! We went at Easter, so it is still fresh in my brain!

Mrbatters Wed 27-Jun-07 18:50:24

bluesky, thanks so much .

It sounds lovely.

How old are your boys?

Any more suggestions, anyone?

willywonka Wed 27-Jun-07 18:57:10

Though I've never taken dd, I have stayed at the Hotel Acro three times now and would recommend it anytime. Is located on a nice street just behind the Rijksmuseum, is clean, very reasonably priced and the staff have only ever been really helpful. You can also pick up the shuttle bus from immediately outside the airport and be taken to the door of the hotel. For more details, click here Have a great trip

bluesky Wed 27-Jun-07 21:58:44

My two are 7 and 11.

I found 3 nights was just right, we did Van Gogh Museum, Ann Frank, Madame Tussauds, pedalo, then proper canal bigger boat (we used that to take us to the Van Gogh Museum).

Then a colleague of DH who lives just outside Amsterdam recommended the NEMO science museum up near central station, which was really good. Very hands on, lots to do, all in english, little cafe, and then you can sit up on the roof with great views.

Didn't hire bikes as it was SO busy and chaotic on the roads and pavements, you take your life in your own hands when you cross the road! Pedestrians, cyclists and THEN cars!

Mrbatters Thu 28-Jun-07 08:20:20

oh, it sounds lovely .

Thank you again bluesky and also willywonka .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now