Talk

Advanced search

Camping /Mobile Home in Vendee France - Any Recommendations

(12 Posts)
dorito Mon 25-Jun-07 16:32:22

We have decided to go to one of the camps in France this summer for a change and having looked around quite fancied one called 'Acapulco' in the Vendee area. Never done this before. Have 3 children so need something quite lively and with a really good pool area. Can anyone recommend this site or any others? Also am a little concerned about the evenings when camping. We have always gone abroad and eat out every night or watched entertainment in hotel etc. I know with the sites, you make your own entertainment, but is there usually much going on in the evening or do people ever tend to go out and about. Sorry but I havent a clue what to expect and just want to make sure we are doing the right thing! My kids are not really into kids clubs, especially the eldest, so just want to make sure they will be happy!

Milliways Mon 25-Jun-07 21:31:49

Clarys Plage is popular with teenagers. Check out the forum on the website. We stayed at Les Genets, next door site, which is smaller & cheaper & my kids preferred the pool but no entertainment worth thinking of.

You can walk to beach & local restaurants.

The special offer page iuncludes :
Arrive on campsite 4th July 2007 .. £429 per family
Arrive on campsite 11th July 2007 .. £539 per family
Arrive on campsite 18th July 2007 .. £698 per family
Arrive on campsite 25th July 2007 .. £849 per family
(For les genets)

Lots of MN'ers have used Matthews as they are sooo cheap,

Ecmo Mon 25-Jun-07 21:35:47

we've been to Clarys Plage.. it was excellent! (well for the children, I was 8 months pregnant and we were in a tent not something I'd recommend!)

KTeePee Tue 26-Jun-07 13:48:41

I think that Matthews only does 2-bed vans though - so no good for a family with 3 kids (unless they are very small)

dorito Tue 26-Jun-07 15:46:33

Had a look at Clarys Plage on the internet and does look really good. We are thinking of possibly doing a fly/drive from Stansted to Nantes and hiring a car, as we can only go for a week and want to cut down on driving. Has anyone done this. Also, Stansted go to various parts of france, so could possibly go further afield if necessary. Have sent off for a few brochures so should get them in the next couple of days. Any other advice/recommendations?

Milliways Tue 26-Jun-07 16:23:34

We drove from Cherbourg - only half a day! (A lot cheaper - but does depend how near Portsmouth you are!)

Keycamp & Eurocamp both go there with large vans. Matthews do have some bigger vans (& once when we had a 3 bed van for our 2 kids they both preferred sleeping on the sofa!

crunchie Tue 26-Jun-07 20:40:13

we have done Clarys plage and I would say there is loads for the kids to do. We went in half term (whitsun) a few years ago and there was something every night. Not that we want that TBH, we prefer making our own entertainment.

Rodeo Wed 27-Jun-07 15:05:39

Hi, this is my friends business, they're lovely I've never been but couldn't pass this thread without giving them a mention, hope you don't mind!
http://www.directcamping.co.uk/

slalomsuki Wed 27-Jun-07 19:11:10

we have a place in the vendee and its great although the weather is like the Uk out there at the moment.

I drive with my three kids usually doing Portsmouth Caen rather than Cherbourg and dh flys to Nante. The airport to st Jean de monts is about 1 hours drive but on a Saturday there is a tourist shuttle to take british holidaymakers to the resort.

the beach is fab but is very tidal ie it goes out a long way so time your trips there if you don't want to walk to the water. There is a web cam on the tourist info site which will help with tide times.

Leslaki Wed 27-Jun-07 20:49:32

Just replied on your other thread as we stayed at the Acapulco last year and loved it. It's next door to Clary's PLage and les genets! I think Clary's plage was the site though which was split in two and if you were in one part you had to cross a busyish road to get to the pool etc. Need to check that with people who have stayed there but we heard some people grunping about that bit. Had a look at Clary's - as you do and it looked good too. BUt I would still go back to Acapulco!!

Leslaki Wed 27-Jun-07 20:52:54

Do you have lots of Tesco vouchers? If so you can use them with French Life to stay at the Acapulco. Or with Siblu to stay at le bois dormant or Le bois Masson (Haven Europe) -also in St Jean but not in same area. We stayed at le bois masson but it was a bit big , busy and British for us but may suit you as it would keep your children entertained. I'm personally not itno rory the tiger though!! Preferred lb dormant across road but Acapulco still fave!!!
We will be going back there! Check the site direct for prices as it's usually cheaper.
Just remembered it's got a mini golf place next door between it and clarys plage.

Surfermum Wed 27-Jun-07 20:58:12

We went to Clarys Plage last year and loved it. The pool was great, lovely and clean with loads of slides and dd (3 at the time) and dsd (10 at the time) loved it.

Out the back of the site is a supermarket and a parade of shops/restaurants and a small market with a little merry go round thing that dd loved. We would generally eat then go for a wander and come back to the bar, or go out and eat and come back to the bar.

The entertainment started at 9 each night, and there was a disco one night, kareoke another and a bull ride thing. There was also a park next to the bar which was handy as dsd would be running around with the friends she made either in the park or in the disco bit, but we could keep an eye on her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now