Talk

Advanced search

E111 - do you still need this?

(10 Posts)
pacinofan Wed 20-Jun-07 11:24:41

Hi, am off to France soon, have purchased travel insurance, but I was thinking, does one still need the E111 or its replacement?

I went on one website which said yes, and it would take 21 days to arrive (by which time I will be home)

Thanks in advance,

Pamina Wed 20-Jun-07 11:26:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

admylin Wed 20-Jun-07 11:28:05

Can't you get a temporary one? I've just applied for one but if it takes too long they said I'll get a piece of paper instead of the plastic card. I'm applying for the E111 from Germany for the UK though.

MrLSG Wed 20-Jun-07 11:38:05

Many insurance policies will waive the excess if you need to claim on any medical issues and have used your EHIC to keep the costs down.

LIZS Wed 20-Jun-07 12:24:15

It is "live" once your application ahs been acknowledged whether you are in possession of the actual card(s) or not. You just take a print out of their emergency number and the application reference with you.

lou33 Wed 20-Jun-07 12:28:44

lizs is right

babedia Wed 20-Jun-07 12:40:21

You DO need it. I was in Spain recently when my nephew had to go to hospital. They insisted on a card, otherwise they'd have to charge for the treatment. He didn't have one but in the end they agreed to use my number instead and not charge us.

My card came back really quickly, around a week or so, but they must be fairly busy at this time of year.

WendyWeber Wed 20-Jun-07 12:41:49

DD1 got her plastic card through in less than a week last month, if it helps

(She then forgot to take it abroad with her but luckily didn't need it)

lou33 Wed 20-Jun-07 12:42:57

i called up for one when i was goign to prague, but it wasnt going to get to me in time

they said i wsa still covered as long as i have teh number to produce if needed

they came through in about a week tho , thats true

pacinofan Wed 20-Jun-07 12:50:59

Thank you all for your quick responses - I have just managed to get us all covered on the 'phone with an emergency number to call as we won't have the cards in time.

Thank goodness for our wise mumsnetters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now