Talk

Advanced search

where to go in france by car?

(12 Posts)
zh202 Tue 19-Jun-07 22:09:43

We want to go to France by car. We have a baby and a toddler and we don't want to do too much driving once we get to France. Any suggestions about where we can go for 3 or 4 nights? Grateful for any advice.

littlelapin Tue 19-Jun-07 22:11:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Tue 19-Jun-07 22:12:20

Which port? I know lots of nice places near Calais, which you may find a bit but it's true

zh202 Wed 20-Jun-07 09:23:07

Those are helpful suggestions - thank you. We will probably take the eurotunnel from folkestone to calais. Does anyone know if its easy to find any kind of self-catering accomodation/apartments there for just 3 days?

Marina Wed 20-Jun-07 13:31:28

Whenabouts? I think there is a Pierre et Vacances Holiday Village in Le Touquet or nearby (only about 45 mins from Calais).
Never stayed there myself but I know they do weekends/midweek breaks out of high season (July-mid August in France).
I can recommend two different but both nice family-friendly hotels on the outskirts of Boulogne, one of which is a farmhouse B & B and offers large family rooms in a separate building so you have your own front door. It overlooks a gorgeous garden, we loved it there. Not self-catering though.
Wimereux is probably the pick of the family resorts on the coast along from Calais/Boulogne and a little further down you have Le Touquet/Berck and then St Valery sur Somme. Countryside inland from all of these is very pretty and underrated

lapsedrunner Wed 20-Jun-07 16:00:00

Normany

BonyM Wed 20-Jun-07 16:11:03

The Pierre and Vacances at Le Touquet is a bit basic (we stayed there about 5yrs ago) but is fine and cheap! Le Touquet is lovely - fantastic beach and there's loads for kids if the weather is a bit iffy - Aqualud waterpark, Nausicca Aquarium at Boulogne and there's a sweet, rather old-fashioned theme park not far away called Bagatelle.

We're having a week in the area in August.

zh202 Thu 21-Jun-07 09:34:06

Le Touquet sounds just about perfect as its close to calais and relatively well connected by train (travelling by trains within France is very cheap and pleasant) to other places. Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 21-Jun-07 09:36:37

I Second littlelapin. Stayed near dinan in Brittany - travelled portsmouth to St Malo. It was fab with lovely beaches and great food.

FioFio Thu 21-Jun-07 09:38:23

Message withdrawn

Diplidophus Thu 21-Jun-07 09:39:31

Britanny / Normandy are lovely.

Love Honfleur in Normandy.

FioFio Thu 21-Jun-07 09:39:36

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: