Talk

Advanced search

Get an exclusive 5% off your next Mark Warner holiday - call 0333 305 9795 and quote Mumsnet

Taking kids to see opera in Verona...

(8 Posts)
dcb Thu 16-Aug-18 20:26:45

Have you done this? Thinking of getting cheap seats for 12 and 7 year olds and just stay for as long as they can manage. Any tips?

ladydickisathingapparently Thu 16-Aug-18 20:32:18

I went a few weeks ago. Absolutely wonderful experience but just to warn you I’ve never in my life been so hot. We were up quite high sitting on the stone amphitheatre bit, and of course the stones soak up the heat all day .....then the heat doesn’t escape due to the nature of the amphitheatre plus you’re pretty tightly squeezed in. Even at 11 pm it was scorching.

You can hire or buy cushions (essential) and there are plenty of refreshments. You can take in food and a small bottle of water each but no alcohol (you can buy it in there). Plenty of toilets.

Verona itself is stunning. A very pretty city. Where are you planning to stay? We got a taxi there and back from Bardolino but there is a tourist opera bus for the season.

dcb Thu 16-Aug-18 20:55:32

Thanks for replying. We’re staying in Torrei del benaco so will drive there earlier in the day to look around/eat. Might investigate paying for parking somewhere nearby so we can get off as soon as we’ve left. Hoping for one act at least... 😂. What time did you arrive and did you have to queue for long? Any tips on where to head to?

ladydickisathingapparently Thu 16-Aug-18 21:00:56

We got there a couple of hours before and did some window shopping (plus the inevitable Juliet balcony trip). It was fun. Loads of beautiful restaurants. We sussed out which entrance we had to go to and went for a drink just opposite so we could check when a queue started forming, so we only queued a few minutes (they have security checks at the gates).

dcb Thu 16-Aug-18 21:07:09

Thanks, was it long before the performance was due to start that you went in? Don’t want to sit there for too long with kids but equally want to be able to sit together

ladydickisathingapparently Thu 16-Aug-18 21:13:16

About 45 minutes I think.

dcb Thu 16-Aug-18 21:40:02

Thanks v much for your help x

Aethelthryth Thu 16-Aug-18 21:45:03

Make sure that you have cushions!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: