Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Turkey recently?

(41 Posts)
2anddone Mon 09-Jul-18 14:04:48

Hello
I am looking at taking my dc abroad and it looks like Turkey is coming up as one of the cheapest destinations.
I will be travelling as a single parent with a 12 and 9 year old. Ideally we would stay somewhere AI, is it safe to walk around alone...I am more used to Costa Del Sol which is more like Britain in the heat!!
I have never been to Turkey and don't really know anything about the country (apart from a friend who went 20 years ago and said you had to put toilet roll in the bin not down the toilet....is this still true?)
Any advice would be most welcome thank you

skippy67 Tue 10-Jul-18 09:46:07

We went 2 years ago and will be going again in October. We stayed AI in Belek. Beautiful hotel in a lovely resort, and you could put loo roll down the loo!

Tippexy Tue 10-Jul-18 09:49:14

Not in a million years would I support the Turkish govt’s regime.

mrsnec Tue 10-Jul-18 10:08:00

I haven't been in a few years but noticed changes last time. It seemed to have got more strict under the current regime. I saw Simon Reeve's Turkey programme and it put me off going back. I used to love Turkey and have been many times. Bodrum and Gumbet, city breaks in Istanbul and a few trips to Antalya.

Saying that it's a personal choice and I wouldn't feel unsafe and it's very cheap at the moment. Cheap when you get there too. I have been to North Cyprus recently and because of the value of the Turkish lira at the moment the prices of things like food and clothes are incredible. Breakfast for 3 in a posh Patisserie was the equivalent of 10e in total and I bought a dress in Terranova for half the price it was on the other side of the island.

HilaryBriss Tue 10-Jul-18 16:45:47

I went in May for the 4th time and loved it. The people are really friendly, the food is lovely and very cheap and I would go back tomorrow if i could afford it!

Still no toilet paper allowed down most toilets though.

imtherebutimnotthere Tue 10-Jul-18 20:29:00

We have been going to Turkey as a family for 20 years, been to Spain, Canaries , Balearics, Greece..nowhere but nowhere can compare to the beauty of Turkey. No high-rise hotels, resorts that look like industrial estates, tacky English bars.
What you do get is beautiful mountains, lush greenery and waterfalls, amazing food, full day sailing around the coves with a lovely bbq lunch for £10 but best of all the kindest people who cannot do enough for you. We now always go to Hisaronu/ Olu Deniz, beautiful beaches down the hill. fantastic shopping up the hill...just perfect.

MsWazowski Tue 10-Jul-18 20:33:29

I’ve just spent a week in Side in Turkey. I went with my teenage daughter and we had a lovely time, beautiful country, friendliest people, felt very safe. That said, we were AI and didn’t leave the hotel as there was no need and it was too hot for sightseeing.

HilaryBriss Tue 10-Jul-18 23:58:35

imtherebutimnotthere I always go to Hisaronu as well, I love the place!

imtherebutimnotthere Wed 11-Jul-18 07:53:24

HilaryBriss we back there in 5 weeks..so excited. Made so many friends there, it's an amazing place isn't it. Have you done one of Animals trips yet..the guy is mad in the funniest way possible.

Ohmeohmy1234 Wed 11-Jul-18 07:58:30

Ive always been out off going to turkey as I’ve heard from quite a few friends that the men can be very pushy and touchy feely, and don’t really respect western women.

Is this the case? It seems everyone here has had positive experiences

imtherebutimnotthere Wed 11-Jul-18 13:26:46

My gorgeous 15yr old daughter gets leered at by older men... but in this country, in Turkey they ask her to be friends on FB or snapchat. So many people say they would never go to Turkey as it's a horrible country and they have never even been ...I get so annoyed. You go once and you fall in love with the country, it's amazing.

imtherebutimnotthere Wed 11-Jul-18 13:29:17

The young lads that is...not older leery mensmile

blackbirdbluebottle Wed 11-Jul-18 13:32:17

I would personally stay away from there and Tunisia now, go somewhere safer like Gran Canaria

mrssunshinexxx Wed 11-Jul-18 13:42:00

Yes just returned for the 4th time look up kaya palazzo in Belek I promise you it will no disappoint

counterpoint Wed 11-Jul-18 13:43:29

Not in a million years would I support the Turkish govt’s regime.

^
This!

sparklyllama Wed 11-Jul-18 13:58:16

We love Turkey. Sadly I cannot afford to take my DD (12) to the Greek Islands or the Balearic Islands where we used to go as children; they are just so expensive now.
Turkey is amazingly cheap in comparison.
We usually go to Olu Deniz; never feel threatened; DD can wander around a few shops while I sit and have a drink.
Give it a go OP; you will not be disappointed.

2anddone Wed 11-Jul-18 18:15:42

Thank you, I went to Balearics and Spain a lot growing up and loved it but you are right it's so expensive now. I will look at some of the places people have suggested smile

imtherebutimnotthere Wed 11-Jul-18 19:07:17

Blackbirdbluebottle we were in Turkey last May when my daughter got a txt, her friend was at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester..we spent an anxious couple of hours before we got the good news that she was safe....do you think we are any less safe in Turkey than back home, look at all the attacks in London, Paris, Nice. The extra security checks in Turkey can at times seem over the top, but I can honestly say that I feel safer there than I did in London earlier in the year

Helmlover Wed 11-Jul-18 21:22:05

We went to Side, Turkey last year and we are going again in October, staying in a 5* hotel and paying a fraction of the price of what you would pay in the likes of Spain or Greece. In my opinion the hotels are more luxurious, the people are friendlier and the security at the airport we flew too was top notch, hence we felt very safe.

I have to say though, I have noticed prices are starting to rise as we booked our holiday a few months ago and prices have continued to increase since then, so if you want to go don’t leave it too last minute.

Gahbahboo Wed 11-Jul-18 21:26:02

We went to Kalkan 2 months ago and lucked out entirely with where we stayed, it was fantastic. People were lovely, some areas slightly touristy, overall cheaper than much of the Med. I'd definitely go back.

blue25 Thu 12-Jul-18 19:17:15

Turkey is beautiful. We go regularly. I'm not sure how someone who never left their AI hotel can know it's a beautiful country though...

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sat 14-Jul-18 22:29:27

Marmaris 2014
Antalya 2017
Marmaris (in 2 weeks time - AND at the hotel that was ambushed in the Turkish coup when militia stormed the hotel with guns and the resort was surrounded by helicopters firing rockets! NOT put me off!)

I haven’t noticed ANY difference between 2014 and 2017. A forum I am a member on has reported an increase in tourists being stopped to check passports and visas (MUST BY LAW carry originals with you - Always has been a rule but strictly enforced. Some are lucky enough not to have been stopped, others not so much so hit and miss).

I understand how many people don’t want to visit due to not supporting the Turkish regime but the tourist resorts haven’t changed in the slightest and actually the people are friendly and kind - at least in my experience going as a family. It’s those who rely on tourism and thus on a low income that would be hit the hardest by those wanting to make a point to the Turkish government (which in my view is a bit futile as they wouldn’t bat an eyelid!)

It’s a lovely country with many things to offer - touristy and cultural. Resorts are fantastic and very child/family orientated.

I wouldn’t be going back if it wasn’t!

(Got ANOTHER Turkish holiday Boole for 2019 and not been on 2018 holiday yet!)

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sat 14-Jul-18 22:32:33

imtherebutimnotrhere - wish we could ‘like’ other commenters posts like we can on FB!

Totally agree with what you said. In fact DH said no to a weekend away to London. Said safer in Turkey and the extra security checks in public and at the airport give us piece of mind and put our airports to shame. BUT it is the U.K. government requiring the extra checks at the gates when departing Turkey.)

bexcee Sun 15-Jul-18 09:52:32

We went to the holiday village in Turkey last year and loved it. No issues with safety etc. Locals seemed to love the tourists as we spend so much money! Bit of hassle at the markets but get the same anywhere.

HilaryBriss Mon 16-Jul-18 16:25:16

imtherebutimnotrhere - yes, did the Wet and Wild in May, a fab (and very wet!!) day. Can't wait to try some of his other excursions next year, I quite fancy the 'Up, Down, Speed' one.

For anyone else visiting the Hisaronu/Ovacik/Olu Deniz/Fethiye area, then I can highly recommend Animal - animalexcursions.co.uk/up-down-safari-with-speed-boat-1-1/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: