Talk

Advanced search

Short break - Dublin, Amsterdam or Edinburgh?

(19 Posts)
Mamaohana Tue 12-Jun-18 14:53:25

Considering a short break away this summer with DH and 2 teens, budget quite low! Ferry prices to Dublin and Amsterdam look reasonable and have never been to either place. Have been to Edinburgh before and loved it but would perhaps prefer to try somewhere new. Where would you recommend? DCs like museums, galleries, sightseeing etc in small doses, prefer parks, shops, cafes. Would also like suggestions of reasonably priced central hotels please.

tracelab Tue 12-Jun-18 21:40:09

@mamaohana I'm biased as I'm an Amsterdam blogger but it ticks all your boxes and more. Here's a link to my site for heaps of inspiration

Www.amsterdamwonderland.com

Hotels can be pricey as the city is small but do look a little further out of the centre (this post will help give you an insight into different areas if you're considering an AirBnB)

https://amsterdamwonderland.com/2018/05/13/where-to-stay-in-amsterdam-a-neighbourhood-by-neighbourhood-airbnb-guide/

And although this post is about family hotels for younger kids it includes lots of hotels to consider

https://amsterdamwonderland.com/2016/06/16/family-friendly-accommodation-in-amsterdam/

If you have any questions let me know. Always happy to help if I can x

macnab Wed 13-Jun-18 14:13:06

I'm from Dublin and I'd say Amsterdam! Dublin is a fantastic city but unfortunately it's pricey and you mention that you're on a budget. Tight budget and teens would not go well with a break in Dublin I'm afraid. Enjoy your break smile

FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 13-Jun-18 14:19:48

I'm from Dublin too, but did find my most recent break to Amsterdam really really expensive!! Dublin is a little less sprawled maybe, loads to see and do in the city centre but is not cheap either.

midsomermurderess Wed 13-Jun-18 15:28:56

I'd recommend Amsterdam over Dublin. It's such a strikingly beautiful city with the canals and narrow houses, in a way that Dublin can't compete with, it's very walkable, although hiring bikes is fun too. You can eat pretty cheaply in cafes and pancake houses and do check out hostels, that'll keep prices lowish.

Mamaohana Wed 13-Jun-18 21:48:19

Thank you for the responses- I was leaning towards Amsterdam anyway and now even more so. We all like cycling but don’t do it very often together so we would all enjoy that. I’ve looked at lots of hotels but all v expensive but maybe it would be ok if we just went for 2 nights only. Even cheaper chains like Ibis are expensive as we’d have to book two rooms. I hadn’t considered hostels, do you think they would be safe and not too noisy?
@tracelab your blog is fantastic, lots of interesting info, thanks for the links.

tracelab Wed 13-Jun-18 21:51:29

Real pleasure. Why not consider an AirBnB a little out of the centre (use my area guide if you are considering different districts). Let me know if I can help with anything xx

tracelab Wed 13-Jun-18 21:52:24

And I'm no expert on hostels but have heard the Generator Hostel is great

Maverick66 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:55:32

Dublin is a fab city. However I agree with the others it is expensive.

Blackbirdblue30 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:23

I live in Dublin but I think Amsterdam is a better city in all ways.

midsomermurderess Thu 14-Jun-18 11:49:20

Yes, Generator Hostel always gets good reviews. Maybe have a browse on www.hostelworld.com to see what appeals. Staying a bit outside the city, as suggested above, would also be cheaper and the public transport there is great.

midsomermurderess Thu 14-Jun-18 11:58:28

Something like this perhaps, it does private rooms.https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Via-Amsterdam/Amsterdam/280631?dateFrom=2018-07-16&dateTo=2018-07-21&number_of_guests=4&sc_pos=1

Mercurial123 Fri 15-Jun-18 16:15:32

I just stayed at the Pension Homeland by the Eastern Docks, Amsterdam great price our room had a beautiful view. Child friendly and has a great restaurant and brewery on site.

brassbrass Fri 15-Jun-18 16:27:23

Yes Amsterdam over Dublin any day. Way more to see and do and we found it reasonable in price certainly don't remember thinking it was pricey.

Mamaohana Sat 16-Jun-18 06:44:02

Thanks again, seems as though Amsterdam is a very popular choice! Some of the hostels look amazing, may well choose one of them to stay at. If not perhaps a hotel near a tram stop a couple of miles out of the centre. It all looks very exciting!

Redtartanshoes Mon 18-Jun-18 18:28:18

If you want to do Amsterdam consider staying in The Hague. It’s a beautiful city in its own right but only half hour to Amsterdam on the train

Iflyaway Mon 18-Jun-18 18:32:47

The Hague is an hour by train from Amsterdam (did it a few weeks ago).

Iflyaway Mon 18-Jun-18 18:36:45

Oh, and not much change out of 100,-- Euros for 4 people for a return....

23,40 a return.

SixInTheBed Mon 18-Jun-18 19:09:03

Recently returned from a trip to Amsterdam with teens. Great place to visit but found it more expensive for lattes and MC Donald's eating and drinking than Dublin. And Dublin has more free museums and art galleries. We spent more than expected in Amsterdam but did enjoy our visit. The feedback from friends who have grown up breaks recently ( involving fine dining and browsing in all the lovely boutiques) in Amsterdam was also of suprise re costs. I think it's because Amsterdam used to be a reasonably priced alternative to Paris or Rome for a city break but that is no longer the brand image the city wants. Dutch public transport cheap and really excellent though. Think both cities have a very similar vibe. Oh and if you do end up in Amsterdam don't bother with the Heineken Experience Tour , it's so not worth the money -The Guinness Experience Tour is really miles better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: