Talk

Advanced search

Holiday recommendations for September

(10 Posts)
Clareel Wed 06-Jun-18 14:08:05

Just me and OH, were planning america but due to change in finances it's proving too expensive. Budget is £800 each. He hates lying around the pool / beach in the sun whereas that is my idea of heaven so finding it hard to reach a compromise. Ideally need somewhere with lots to do / see but the option for a bit of chilling as well.

I do all of the cooking at home so really not interested in cooking on holiday, he hates all inclusive as feels restricted. Ideally would like B&B somewhere that is somewhat affordable to eat out most nights. Hoping to go for 10 nights.

Both fairly active foodies, usually go to mainland Spain or canaries but open to suggestions!

Ricekrispie22 Wed 06-Jun-18 18:36:31

Cascais is a charming Portuguese town that has a delightful historic centre, with a range of interesting tourist attractions, while the surrounding coastline has beautiful sandy beaches. Cascais is ideal for a day trio or two to Lisbon as it is connected by a regular and inexpensive railway. The train journey takes between 30-40 minutes depending on the number of stops, and during daylight hours there is a departure every 20 minutes. The train route follows the coastline and provides some great views over the sea. Another 'must' is a trip to the magical Sintra.
Along the waterfront is the fishing harbour, the marina, artisan shops and seafood restaurants. The food is great in Cascais because it is full of independent family-owned and run restaurants and cafes.
When travelling from Lisbon airport to Cascais you can use either the train or taxi. The ride costs approximately 40€ and takes around 35 minutes. The less expensive, but slower and indirect alternative is the train. The whole journey will cost only 6.20€, but the average travel time is 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Funkyslippers Fri 08-Jun-18 11:02:47

www.onthebeach.co.uk/hotels/canaries/lanzarote/costa-teguise/sands-beach-resort?mv_pc=googlecpc&CampaignID=106378463&AdGroupID=4614729623&Keyword=kwd-2261954735&MatchType=e&Device=c&AdID=194652495053&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkbzay-fD2wIV6Z3tCh2oJgRaEAAYAiAAEgJaXvD_BwE

We went here self catering, but I think they do B&B too. Nice apartments with kitchens if you want to cook. Lots of bars & restaurants in a short walking distance and obviously you can explore the island.

snewname Fri 08-Jun-18 11:04:10

I was coming on to say Cascais/Lisbon or Barcelona. Both wonderful cities but have the beach element too.

BestIsWest Fri 08-Jun-18 11:05:52

I was also coming on to say Cascais! My favourite holiday place.

Nomad86 Sat 09-Jun-18 18:47:56

Sicily. We did a farmstay (agriturismo) which was really chilled out. Amazing food, lots to see. Public transport is awful but car rental is really cheap.

Frenchfamille Wed 13-Jun-18 19:54:25

Would you consider France? Spent much time in pyrenees area which always suits us as its more a place to get out and do something and it is very pretty. September is nice there, school children back learning, so less touristy (in a nice way).
My problem is Im married to someone who thinks he should be a professional cyclist so he needs lovely scenery to burn off energy and I like a bit of that but need to relax too so where we go caters for both! PM for more info.
But hope you get something sorted. Holidays are important!

BlueKittens Wed 13-Jun-18 20:55:43

I would recommend Italy, Slovenia, or Budapest. In Italy consider staying in places popular with Italians and you will get a bargain, but the weather will be very hot still. Think Liguria, Piemonte, Maiori, Ischia. You could definitely scope out a good deal. Ischia in particular is very cheap for what you get.

The trick is to pick somewhere popular with national- not international- tourists to get a bargain. You will also get much better food in these areas.

BlueKittens Wed 13-Jun-18 21:00:45

Just to add to my list of hidden gems in Italy... Lecce in Puglia, Trieste, Ferrara or Ravenna in Emilia-Romagna, Cefalu in Sicily,

MulderitsmeX Sat 23-Jun-18 23:06:35

another vote for Sicily, I also really want to go to Ischia it looks amazing.

I always see on secretescapes the Radisson Blu in Split which looks beautiful and not too ££

Budapest is amazing but not sure you need to go for more than 5 or so days

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: