Talk

Advanced search

Thessaloniki and Halkidiki

(3 Posts)
mrsnec Mon 28-May-18 06:42:02

I have booked a short break for DH and I to Thessaloniki. City centre hotel for 3 days.

I want to go to Halkidiki at some point too but I am confused about the geography and best resorts and beaches for us. We can do this in a separate trip. But I am wondering what I can fit in this time.

I have booked private transfers as part of our package but can cancel. They cost 80e. It's 50e a day to hire a car from our hotel but only 25 from the airport so now considering canceling transfers and booking car hire from the airport. Hotel charges for parking so need to consider this too and our flight lands at night.

DH and I have never driven in mainland Europe. Public transport looks tricky. Will Thessaloniki keep us occupied for 3 days?

EdinaMonsoon Tue 29-May-18 19:05:06

No help on Thessaloniki (only used as an airport) but Afitos in Halkidiki is lovely. It has a preservation order on it so all buildings are traditional. It's around an hour's drive from Thessaloniki - very straightforward journey.

mrsnec Thu 31-May-18 09:07:05

Thanks that does look like our kind of place.

A friend went a while ago and said her resort was in the middle of nowhere and ended up driving to Thessaloniki as they were bored where they stayed.

It does sound like driving over there is easier than we thought though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: