Talk

Advanced search

School Teachers here - holiday ideas please...

(18 Posts)
imdad Sun 06-May-18 22:27:25

Hi there,

We are both primary teachers. I know lots of people have discussed this on times before but I have failed to find something suitable.

As we're both teachers we are only able to holiday during school holidays. Not only does it cost us so much more money but it is also incredibly busy. It also means that none of our family and friends will ever holiday with us as it is simply too expensive!

With that in mind - would anyone have any great holiday ideas for the summer. We have a budget of about £2,500 for myself, wife and two children (7 & 3).

We are open to any ideas. We normally like the Majorca, quiet hotel, nice pool and relax type holiday with children enjoying mini - disco etc but would consider anything that others have done and enjoyed.

If a deal could be had then we may be able to persuade family/friends to accompany us?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

imdad

Childrenofthesun Mon 07-May-18 08:18:32

We're both teachers with children similar ages. We go to France every year because getting the ferry seems cheaper than flying and holiday cottages (gites) are quite reasonable depending where you go. We usually book ferry and cottage through Brittany Ferries when they have a sale on. Our holidays usually cost £1600-£1800 depending on the type of property. However, we book early (October-time) as things get booked up quickly over the summer holidays and cheaper cabins are available on the ferry etc).
There are several large cottages or groups of cottages if you were travelling with friends/family but I imagine these also book up early.

imdad Mon 07-May-18 08:39:55

Thanks for the ideas. We had thought of France - maybe Eurocamp or something but was a little unsure about being in a mobile home in the heat of the summer! Not sure if that would finish me off!

Thanks again - will have a look at the website!

**BUMP

wowsaidtheowl Mon 07-May-18 19:09:12

Teacher here! Our favourites have been Lisbon Airbnb and then train trips to Sintra and Cascais; Essaouira, Morocco; Dordogne camping.

We spend ages researching cheap flights and self catering options. Usually manage 2 weeks for family of four for around £1500.

imdad Tue 08-May-18 07:48:29

Thanks for info smile

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 08-May-18 07:52:43

Teacher here too. We usually default to Greece but teenage DS’s favourite in recent years was Slovenia - beautiful, not really well known as a Brit holiday destination, not sweltering, and loads to see and do. I can’t remember what we paid, but it was through Tui’s Lakes and Mountains brochure and much cheaper than their equivalent holidays in Switzerland, Austria and Italy.

ovenchips Tue 08-May-18 08:58:20

Just to mention that Eurocamp style mobile home accommodation often has air con and you could certainly ensure you only chose accommodation that did. Though obv you don't need to book only through Eurocamp - I prob wouldn't - would book direct through campsite's website or with another cheaper operator (Lifestyle, Venue etc).

For a package-style holiday in sun there's Jet2 website - there's a 'deals' section where you can look at some potential bargains.

unintentionalthreadkiller Tue 08-May-18 09:12:52

I'm not a teacher but DH is. We go to France as we can take dog too. We like Siblu. It's not cheap thoug and worth seeing if you can a private rental instead of through Siblu themselves. Mobile homes are imo often better appointed. Most mobiles have ac now.

Madcats Thu 10-May-18 09:11:06

Could you bear Centreparcs? The Dutch and Belgian ones are considerably cheaper than UK, especially if you can go in the last week of August when many of the mainland northern Europeans are back at school. The ferries from Dover are usually pretty cheap.

I think they have just opened a swanky new one near Disneyland if you would prefer to be in France.

imdad Thu 10-May-18 16:35:00

Thanks for getting back to me. We have looked at something like CP in as we love Longleat but we are not interested in cooking and cleaning a house for our summer holiday - if that makes sense. Thanks for ideas though!

jocktamsonsbairn Thu 10-May-18 21:39:05

Teacher here and I book as early as possible - as soon as the flights come out for the following summer. Then I chose the cheapest date to travel in school hols. Fir Oct half term we're going to Turkey AI (5star) for £700 for 3 adults. We are flying out of an airport at the other end of the UK as flights from there were £33 pp single to Dalaman as not their half term!! Uk return flights were the most expensive bit!! We have family to stay with for snigger either side.
In the summer we tend to go to Greece, Italy or Spain, go self catering for 2 weeks and book early. I have a budget of approx £2k a year for holidays (not inc spending money) and have gone over by £200 this year which I'm not worried about as Oct holiday is AI.

jocktamsonsbairn Thu 10-May-18 21:39:57

If you like CP idea look at Duinrell in the Netherlands.

imdad Thu 10-May-18 22:42:36

I’m learning quickly that we have to be more organised! Good tips on here. Where about in Italy do you go? I’ve always wanted to go but think I’m worried that my kiddies love the pool and mini-disco type scene. We’ve always just gone to Spanish resorts; although I’m starting to feel like seeing a bit more of the world after recently realising I’m just seeing Britain abroard in these resorts. Any location tips much appreciated. I found some cheapish flights to Italy a few days ago actually! Thanks

FairyPenguin Thu 10-May-18 22:50:31

If flights to Italy are a good price then I highly recommend this area:

www.altabadia.org/en/summer-holidays/summer-italian-alps.html

Scenery, fresh air, amazing food, loads of playgrounds, paddling pools, children’s activities. Trampolines and swings at the top of mountains!

FairyPenguin Thu 10-May-18 22:55:30

Here’s a better link to the playgrounds they have:

www.moviment.it/en/parks-moviment-alta-badia-summer.php

jocktamsonsbairn Thu 10-May-18 23:25:48

In Italy we went to a fab campsite called Portofelice just north of Venice - so good we went back a few times and got the bus from the airport! Taxi was about €80. Also been to Rome and just booked a big standard hotel but the city was fab - there are some campsites nearby. Going to go to Pompeii in a few years. Lake Garda is also good for families.
Must admit we've done Greek islands the last few years as I just love it there!!

Bumbelinadance Thu 10-May-18 23:49:15

Have you come across “ healthy options “
They have a great resort in vassiliiki in Greece . Beautiful location
I had to go in school holidays
They have a great kids activities club ( check the age as my youngest initially was 6 ) that tie in with adults sailing , yoga etc mostly included in package

We hired bikes and slept a lot we felt so chilled out
It’s basic accommodation ( Greek island Loos ) but an alternative to higher priced mark warner or nelson resorts

It’s cheaper
But it’s greece

My then 6 year and 7 year old and I had an amazing time twice
Just over 1500 for the week with flights
Super families returning annually
Lots of school teachers
Great evenings after a days sporting for all the family
Lovely Greek hosts and English sailing instructors / yoga / pilates / watersports

Single Mum teacher I went 2 years on the trot
I used and prebooked evening babysitting a couple of times
Felt very safe.. kids begged to return
Note — very hot July and August .

imdad Sun 13-May-18 22:34:18

Thanks all! Italian mountains look lovely but not sure if my kids would enjoy this type of holiday. Many thanks though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: