Talk

Advanced search

Canada

(9 Posts)
teabag20048 Sun 29-Apr-18 21:44:55

Where would be a good place for a holiday in Canada, 2 children 13 & 9? I don't know where to start!

mummymeister Mon 30-Apr-18 07:48:31

We had 3 weeks on the west coast. we stayed in a small seaside type town called Sechelt, then a few days in Vancouver then up to Jasper and finally we stayed in a cabin in Golden. we flew into Vancouver and out of Calgary. staying in 4 different places was great over the 3 weeks that we had as we got to see a lot more of Canada than just driving all the time. lonely planet guidebook is a great place to start. message me if you want more details about where we stayed etc.

flimflaminurjams Mon 30-Apr-18 13:10:04

For Ontario:
Sightseeing in Toronto 1 or 2 days (go up the CN Tower)

Niagara - 1 day incl Maid of the Mist

Niagara on the lake (not the same as Niagara) 1/2 day, then a wine tour 1/2 day (know the kids can't drink it but it is interesting, especially the special type of wine they make - won't spoil it by telling you). There are cranberry tours elsewhere if your non-drinkers.

3 days camping in Pinery Park on Grand Bend. Spent an amazing summer there. On a clear night, scorching summer (it does get really hot in Canada in summer, especially in the centre of the country), evening cool off in the lake, sat on the beach and all I could see was thousands and thousands of stars. It was like nothing else I'd ever seen.

Plus there is loads of outdoor stuff and they are really geared up for it. Algonquin Park has canoeing and trails and all sorts of stuff.

Plus loads of places have summer festivals. Canada Day is always fun.

I've heard nice things about Vancouver but not lucky enough to have been.

Have a great time, I've been 3 times and loved it. I'd go more often if I could. Beautiful country and the people are lovely.

midsomermurderess Mon 30-Apr-18 14:54:47

If you get over to Vancouver, Vancouver Island is beautiful and well worth a few days, eg Tofino, Ucuelet

Nomad86 Tue 01-May-18 15:04:16

Vancouver, Vancouver island, Jasper, Banff

bingohandjob Sun 06-May-18 22:22:03

Vancouver - you've got everything. Head to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper etc if you can.

APMom Mon 07-May-18 20:35:45

We flew to Toronto and then drove up to the Bruce Peninsula and stayed SILs cabin but there are some to rent afaik. We spent 10 days here, hiking around the National Parks and kayaking around. We then spent a week in a fab Airbnb house 10 mins walk to a regular bus which took us to the subway so did all the touristy things in Toronto. We also did Niagara and the Royal Botanic Gardens. Our 11,15 and 18 yr old said it was the best holiday. I absolutely loved the Bruce, crystal clear waters.

Tentomidnight Sun 20-May-18 11:49:38

Fly to Calgary and tour the Rockies..

Banff to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway is particularly stunning, but each lake is amazing (Emerald, Louise, Peyto etc) and the towns are scenic, laid back and friendly.
Hot springs, cable cars, wildlife spotting, boat trips/canoeing, glacier bus, great food and craft beer.

Top tip is to hire a 4wd car with satnav, which makes driving and finding places incredibly easiy.

xyzandabc Sun 20-May-18 11:53:14

Vancouver for a couple of days then a driving tour around Vancouver island. Victoria, Tofino, Mt Washington, mountain biking, day trip out round the islands, whale watching, just stunningly beautiful coasts with more outdoor activities than you can shake a stick at.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: