Talk

Advanced search

Lake Garda .. any good for kids?

(10 Posts)
happyguineapig Wed 21-Mar-18 03:15:44

I've always wanted to visit lake Garda and have a week off at Easter so might see if we can get a holiday last minute. I have a 5 year old ds. Will it be any good for him? Where would you recommend staying/ visiting?

Thanks

happyguineapig Wed 21-Mar-18 12:07:46

Anyone?

LIZS Wed 21-Mar-18 12:10:12

Plenty to do in summer, however it might still be cold at Easter and even still have snow on the mountain behind Malcesine. Check if Gardaland etc are even open.

PutDownThatLaptop Wed 21-Mar-18 12:12:15

We took our 9 year old DD. Things she liked doing included going round the lake and visiting the various places by boat (we got an unlimited ticket), paddling in the lake, eating pizza, visiting the reptile museum (at Riva I think), the crazy golf at Malcesine and the cable car at Malcesine. We also had a swimming pool at the hotel which she loved and we went on a day trip to Venice.

happyguineapig Wed 21-Mar-18 16:09:53

Thanks

I hoped it might be warmish.. good point to check Gardaland

LoniceraJaponica Wed 21-Mar-18 22:18:10

Lake Garda is utterly beautiful, and really needs to be appreciated in good weather. I would find April far too chilly to really enjoy it. It gets quite a lot of rain in April as well.

LeMesmer Wed 21-Mar-18 23:06:59

We have been a few times at Easter. Great for kids, at least at the southern end of the lake. Gardaland is open, there is a really good zoo/Safari park, Venice (DS at that age was fascinated by the roads of water), boat trips, castle at Sirmione, and other things. The weather at Easter is usually warm and sunny, although I agree it could be hit and miss, and you may get rain. We have always stayed in a self catering place, about 300 euro for the week, with indoor pool, just outside Peschiara del Garda. PM me if you want the details. We are going the first week in May again, really looking forward to it.

Misty9 Sat 24-Mar-18 08:50:06

When we went our two (and us adults!) loved the trip to parco sigurta, a botanical gardens, as you can hire a golf cart for four and explore the park that way. It was great fun. Agree with cable car at malcesine, and we also went in April though it was very cold on the mountain so take warm clothes! Gelato in sirmione is a must smile Actually, gelato everywhere! Peschiera del garda is a pretty little place to explore and there's a market too.

Enjoy!

applesareredandgreen Sun 25-Mar-18 22:53:13

Yes the South end of the lake near Peschiera is good for children - there are two theme parks - Garda Land and Caneva World. Also a zoo not too far away. There is a railway station at Peschiera - trains to Verona and Venice (maybe a bit much for 5 year old). Boat on the lake to visit the other towns - as other posters have said Malcesine and Sirmione are lovely.

The weather is likely to be unpredictable at Easter - I have never been that early. Went at October once and it was very chilly evenings and early mornings but generally climate is mild.

Lincolnite Thu 18-Jul-19 11:43:26

Hi, just reading a post about Peschiera that you commented on a while back. We are considering visiting with our daughters (5&7). Is thee much to do for them? Happy kids, happy mummy and daddy!! The hotel is located south side of the E70 and im concerned about we're too far away...hotel provides shuttle bus!

Thanks in advance, would be grateful for any help you can give me,

Emily

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »