Talk

Advanced search

First holiday

(17 Posts)
purpleme12 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:36:45

I want to go on holiday in June. Somewhere hot. All inclusive. A holiday village type place with the swimming pools right there and slides and slides for little children. My little girl is 4.

I have never done this before and I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? When you book is it all included like the flights and transfers from airport to resort or is that done seperately?
Should I book it at travel agents? What is best?
Does anyone have suggestions about places too? Resorts?

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 13-Mar-18 08:35:01

A proper package will include everything, but be careful as some package operators include the transfers and luggage as extras, so read carefully as you book. Usually if the transfers and luggage are extras, they will try to sell them to you once you've chosen your holiday.

Jet2holidays include everything, can be excellent value and offer free child places - you can search for these on their website and then select AI, and 'family friendly' places. You don't have to specify your destination, you can put in your requirements and then choose from what is offered.

If you don't want too long a flight, Mallorca, Menorca, Southern Spain or Portugal would probably suit.

purpleme12 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:58:31

Thank you I'll have a look on Jet2 website. Do they charge luggage and transfers as extras do you know? Bit scared about going by myself with my daughter to be honest but can't let fear stop you

purpleme12 Wed 14-Mar-18 08:21:18

I looked at Jet2 website and it was asking me where I wanted to go. Couldn't see the option where you didn't have to put that in.

Finding it hard to find time to even look at sorting out this holiday

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 14-Mar-18 08:24:35

Get in touch with a travel agent - preferably an independent so they aren’t tied to selling one tour operator. Lots of agents work from home and evenings, some do home visits. (This is what I do for a living and a good independent will look through all of the options)

notacooldad Wed 14-Mar-18 08:32:27

Go to sky scanner and see what flights are available to where you want to go
Use booking.com . Use the filters to say what your needs are e.g. All inclusive, wifi, swimming pool etc. There is an option for hotels that do hotel transfers.
Make sure you have insurance.

The hardest part is doing it for the first time.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 14-Mar-18 09:23:28

Look in the deals section or free child place search, you can look for any dates, doesn't need to be last minute.

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 14-Mar-18 09:30:04

Jet2 don’t do free child places unless there are two adults in the room, I can’t think of any tour operators that do to be honest. Most of the time the cost will be based on two adults so you’ll pay adult price for your daughter. Jet2 do have a discount code for single parents but I’m not in my office today so don’t have it to hand, it’s in their brochure though if you have one.

purpleme12 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:14:49

Do you think Spain would be best cos of the shorter flight times?

Hard to know whether to take the chance and go somewhere further on the plane...
Are there films for kids to watch on the longer (eg 3 hours) flights?

Now I'm wondering if somewhere like Majorca, Costa Brava would be warm enough in June? Would it b better in July? I want it to be warm enough to goin the water and be comfortable and warm and be in summer clothes all the time

LeMesmer Tue 20-Mar-18 22:16:54

Last couple of weeks in June should be hot enough, in July you may find it too hot, especially with a four year old. You won't have films on the flight, but you can download something to watch on a tablet, or take a portable DVD player, which may be useful for the holiday anyway. It isn't so difficult to keep them amused for a 3 hour flight. The novelty of it at first, on cheaper flights picking something from the magazine to buy when the snack trolley arrives, eating the snack, looking out when landing etc....

purpleme12 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:24:07

mmm I was thinking beginning of june see so now worried about weather...

maybe beginning of july and have to hope it's not too hot for her...

this picking of holiday is harder than I thought! never mind making it tally up with what I can get off work. don't know if can get july off work...

purpleme12 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:37:53

Oh god not sure whether beginning of June or beginning of July if we do go to Majorca now

purpleme12 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:39:01

(I don't have a tablet or portable dvd player) probably not great in this situation is it

LeMesmer Tue 20-Mar-18 23:05:09

Sorry if I have worried you. I think June is slightly better for the weather. I used to live in Southern Italy and July could be very hot sometimes. However, that is not so much of a problem if you are on holiday., so early July would also be OK.

Dont worry about DVDs, tablets etc to amuse your DD on the plane. My DS at that age never had those, and we used to go on 10 hour car journeys! He used to love a small Lego set to build on the journey, and then play with when he got there. Or a few small wrapped up cheap presents, colouring book, pens, small puzzle, sticker books, stuff like that. A couple to open at the airport and then open one every half hour on the plane. Generations of kids have travelled without electronic devices. DS once spent 4 hours in the car taking things in and out of the toiletries bag, then got two wet wipes, gave them a name each and played for 3 hours with themgrin. I didn't mean to alarm you, I have travelled a lot on my own with DS from him being very young, and it is fine, really.

LeMesmer Tue 20-Mar-18 23:07:00

When you get there, watch kids TV in the language if whatever country you are in. When your DD sees Peppa Pig speaking Spanish (or whatever language), she we love it.

BackforGood Tue 20-Mar-18 23:17:47

As it is your first time, and you are a bit nervous, I would definitely recommend going into a travel agent. They will answer all your concerns and everything you ask about. There is a rep out there to look after you and respond to any concerns when you are there. If something happens like your flight is delayed, then the coach just waits for you at the airport - no worries about missing you connections, etc. It will be much more relaxing for you if you get a package.

purpleme12 Tue 20-Mar-18 23:19:45

Ah thank you :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: