Talk

Advanced search

Get an exclusive 5% off your next Mark Warner holiday - call 0333 305 9795 and quote Mumsnet

Barcelona in August.

(18 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Sun 11-Mar-18 15:47:24

Can anyone give me any information about Barcelona in August .
Where is good to stay , what is public transport like , is it super hot? Will it be dead like some European cities?

We are thinking of a week in Barcelona in a self catering flat then a week in Sitges in similar accommodation.

Also how easy is it to get between the 2 places ?

Also I’m assuming it’s safe after all the trouble? Dd was due to go in July on a school trip but they were advised not to go there so I’m a bit concerned ( that advise was given before Xmas )

We have 3 kids 15,15 and 8

MadMaryBoddington Sun 11-Mar-18 20:33:49

Perfectly safe. We went in January and there was no sign of any trouble. Lots of great AirB&Bs, or I can recommend the aparthotel we stayed in, Hotel Arai, which was right in the middle of the gothic quarter with a lovely little pool on the roof.

It will be hot August - too hot for me personally, but depends on your tolerance of heat.

I don’t know about public transport because we walked everywhere or got taxis.

Pinkpeanut27 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:32:07

Thanks , we have to go in August as it’s school holidays and dh wants some sun . Kids are fine as long as we can pop in and out if shops/ museums which have air con . They have survived Orlando , Miami , New York and Washington over the past few years . Will look at that hotel thanks

Ginmakesitallok Sun 11-Mar-18 21:33:49

The metro system is fabulous. August will be hot and v v busy! Barcelona is never "dead"!

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 11-Mar-18 21:43:47

Hotel K Picasso is where stayed.

You can get the train easily to Sitges- about 20 mins.

It'll be great

Hockneypool Sun 11-Mar-18 22:42:15

We went to Barcelona and Stiges in July last year. It was hot and will be hotter in August. We all really enjoyed it. A good mixture of city things to do in Barcelona and then a friendly old fashioned seaside town with Stiges.

There is a good train service between the two places so can still day trip back to Barcelona. We liked the catalunya history museum. We also had a walking guide for a few hours which was very good and gave an insight to the city.

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 12-Mar-18 09:04:43

That all sounds great .

Any other recommendations for hotels or apartments being a family of 5 makes things tricky as we need interconnecting rooms of which there are only a few .

mummymeister Mon 12-Mar-18 09:47:26

We stayed in an apartment and it was perfect for us.
www.homeaway.co.uk/p1050347

Brilliant location not to near las ramblas (which I really, really did not like) we did the city bus tour which was great fun.

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Mon 12-Mar-18 10:00:29

It will be hot but the bonus with Barcelona is there is a beach as well unlike other cities.

Is will be as safe as anywhere else, I understand that they have installed barriers on las ramblas now anyway

We stayed centrally in a hotel with a roof top pool- hotel jazz. We diddnt use public transport as we walked everywhere

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 12-Mar-18 10:03:39

Barcelona is great. Who advised your dd's school not to go there?? It surely wasn't "official" advice?

memyselfandmoi Mon 12-Mar-18 17:52:35

It's quite hot. The science museum is great. Have you thought about going and hiring a car? We've been to Palafrugell the last two summers which is lovely and then we've done day trips in Barcelona. Went to Port Aventura, the adventure park, last year as well which was incredible once we brought the fast pass thingys.

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:18:25

No hadn’t thought about a car but thanks for the tips I will have a look .

I’m getting really excited now we’ve been thinking of so many holidays and I’ve posted fir advice on all of them and this is the on,y one which has had such lovely positive responses ,

memyselfandmoi Mon 12-Mar-18 18:32:55

I really like the city. Did a great tour with the kids there as well with runner bean tours

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:16:43

I’m now looking to see if we can do the Port Adventure as the kids and Dh would love that !

memyselfandmoi Mon 12-Mar-18 19:33:25

If you do then budget for getting the fast passes. It's almost pointless without them but they almost double the cost.

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:26:30

Good tip , did you go to the water Parc and Ferrari world as well?
Is it worth staying on site ?

memyselfandmoi Tue 13-Mar-18 19:34:21

We only went to the main park, we only had one day and were staying 2 hours drive away. If I went back I'd probably spend a night there, there is one rollercoaster at Ferrari world that looked amazing.

FYI, if the kids are too small to do the main roller coasters the fast pass is even better ;) we managed to get two turns each on the two biggest rollercoasters whilst the other fed the kids candyfloss.

Jasmineandsunshine Sun 25-Mar-18 09:28:01

We went to cambrills in august last year and did a day trip to barcelona, it was hot. The train was easy although long, two hours I think, it stopped off at stiges.

Re safety, this isn't quite the same as you were referring to safety in barcelona rather than stiges but we were staying within a 5 minute walk of the confrontation in cambrills and even walking around the next day felt safe. They had an increased police presence in cambrills immediately after the barcelona attack and I imagine the same in stiges, salou and the other coastal touristy area's so I'd say catalonian police are responsive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: