Talk

Advanced search

Ok top things to do in Bruges and Ghent and Antwerp - each for a day

(17 Posts)
2018name Wed 14-Feb-18 18:42:35

With kids (ages 10). Absolutely mind blown looking at trip advisor - not sure a trip to the Dali Museum for kids that have no idea who is is is going to cut it. smile Has anyone been and can suggest some "must dos"/"must visits"/ places to eat? Thanks very much.

TheyBuiltThePyramids Wed 14-Feb-18 18:56:37

Antwerp is easy - there is a brilliant zoo and the sealife centre. You can get a dual ticket and both are right by the train station. Bruges has Historium and a canal boat ride would probably be fun for that age. There is also the Boudewijn park just outside the city. Ghent, I can't think of any specific child friendly activites. Its nice for a wander but it very like Bruges, just less crowded. I'd skip it and spend the day at the coast instead - Blankenberg or De Haan. It depends when you are going of course....

eurochick Wed 14-Feb-18 19:04:13

Lovely springtime daffs in Bruges. They are all good walking around cities.

2018name Wed 14-Feb-18 19:23:56

in 2 days? To my uneducated eye all 3 cities look the same - many religious buildings to vist and town squares so looks a little samey.

Mermaid36 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:26:06

Also a vote for Antwerp Zoo!

2018name Thu 15-Feb-18 08:35:21

My children are way too old for zoos - they really don't like them at all. Not looking good is it smile

MincemeatTart Thu 15-Feb-18 08:44:09

We did a boat holiday visiting Bruges and Ghent. We had a fabulous time with 10 teens between two families. For one day in each they can just potter and explore. Ours were 13 years and up so old enough to let loose. We had another friend join us on board in the evening with two more for a shared supper. We all have very fond memories. Bruges they found the best chips and lots of chocolate and visited a few historic buildings. Ghent they drank in cafes in the square and then we went to a fabulous Art Deco swimming pool - the oldest in Belgium that that been renovated.

ZenNudist Thu 15-Feb-18 08:46:51

Watching 🙂

Fancy trip to Bruges. Never thought of doing other places in same trip

Oblomov18 Thu 15-Feb-18 08:57:57

Agree with Bruges boat trip. Fab. Then wander down the lanes, have waffles etc.

2018name Thu 15-Feb-18 09:29:45

So I an getting the sense that it is more of an experience then things to see - sounds good but I am just worried my two 10 year olds will find this a bit dull - bit young for coffeee culture and they love waffles but not too many. smile Oh well we shall see as leaving soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

parttimebarstaff Fri 16-Feb-18 20:46:28

My slightly grumpy 16 year old DS loved the printing museum in Antwerp..... there is also a tunnel that goes under the river which he thought was quite cool. We also consumed huge amounts of waffles and crepes!!!

parttimebarstaff Fri 16-Feb-18 20:47:54

The train station in Antwerp is also worth a look, it's huge and on 4 different levels!!

Bellie99 Fri 16-Feb-18 20:54:23

Chocolate museum in Bruges. You get to sample at the end.
Canal trip or frite (yes chip!!) museum again in Bruges. All loved by my 7,9&10 year olds.
We also did a tourist (self) walk to see the windmills.

SersioulycanitgetWORSE Sun 18-Feb-18 20:40:43

Efteling in holland and stop at bruges on the way to break up the journey and a twerp on the way back.

Blue2014 Sun 18-Feb-18 20:44:26

Seconding the chip and chocolate museum in Bruges. Also just stopping for a hot choc at the right place can be great as you sort of make your own up.

I found Ghent quite boring though, sorry!

SJane45S Mon 19-Feb-18 07:19:04

Carriage ride round Bruges - quite pricey but our then 7 year old really liked it. She found the Historium weird (but remembers a lot about it so it made an impression!). The canal trip & chocolate museum were also good. Most of all she just liked walking around & going into virtually every chocolate shop to pick up a free sample. Virtually all restaurants we ate at offered chicken nuggets & chips as the kids option which she was bored with by day 3.

rosy71 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:15:39

In Bruges, we visited the chocolate museum and had a horse and carriage ride around the city. We fancied a canal boat ride too but didn't fit it in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: