Talk

Advanced search

Lanzarote or Menorca?

(86 Posts)
Natalie2900 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:06:22

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice.

I have a family holiday booked in Menorca on 19th May. I am now worried it won't be hot enough for us with pools etc.

I am now looking at lanzarote. I have 10 days to change the holiday!

Has anybody been to either of these places on holiday during april/may?

Any advice on which one is best? and the temp etc?

Thankyou. xxx

KingIrving Fri 09-Feb-18 19:18:09

You will definitely not be able to use the pool in May in the Menorca, sorry.
I lived 5 years in Barcelona and the weather was beautiful, but to heat a pool, you need "heat". I was member of a club which had external pools and while I was happily baking myself at the side of the pool, getting into the water was another story. Unless of course, you have a heated pool. Is it a villa or a resort?
You will have warmer weather in Lanzarote

Natalie2900 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:24:10

It is a resort.

Ive been looking at last year temp in menorca and it was 30 some days . But thats last year and i guess you can never know with the weather.

are both islands windy? Its so hard to know! we have saved a lot for this holiday and its my 6 year old first holiday, I want it to be perfect.

KingIrving Fri 09-Feb-18 22:51:49

Many resort have heated pool.

Check May 2017 weather data from last year here www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LEMH/2017/5/1/MonthlyHistory.html?&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=. Just put May and monthly. It is not really high. Even late May, there was a low of 11 degree which will definitely make any pool really low. If you compare the same graph with Lanzarote, www.wunderground.com/history/airport/GCRR/2017/5/9/MonthlyHistory.html?&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo= , the low are really higher.

I remember some May days to be really wet in Barcelona, and other years, they were really dry, so you never know.

And lanzarote is closer to the equator by 1200 km, so in May, it does make a difference.
Why don't you post in the Living overseas section on MN, someone living in the Canary islands/Menorca now could tell you more.
I live now in Australia and Barcelona was way hotter than Sydney!

KingIrving Fri 09-Feb-18 22:53:30

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/living_overseas here it is

lopdedop Fri 09-Feb-18 22:58:15

Unless, on Menorca, we have an unusually warm April and early May, the pool will be cold (sea, too). However, I work in tourism, and it doesn't normally stop the Brits from jumping in!

KingIrving Sat 10-Feb-18 01:55:44

Brits jump in the water in July at Manly beach when it is winter and 6 degrees in the morning...
I used to go almost every year to Tenerife during the Easter Break, so around April and the weather was gorgeous. The water was fresh but not freezing. If you are after some warmth after the winter and rain, I would go to Lanzarote.

Natalie2900 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:42:46

Thankyou for all your replies.

I keep hearing the term "Lanzagrotty". I may start to look at Tenerife as well.

I keep reading that there is nothing to do in Lanzarote? I don't think I want to risk Menorca and the weather. Its the idea of having to pack for two different seasons seems so annoying.

KingIrving Sat 10-Feb-18 09:24:33

If Tenerife, look at Costa Adele . And what about Fuerteventura? Great beaches

KingIrving Sat 10-Feb-18 09:24:53

Costa Adeje

Natalie2900 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:27:15

Ive heard its really really windy there? I hate wind! but i guess its not going to be like the cold wet wind we have here in England!

Squigglypig Sat 10-Feb-18 09:30:39

Lanzarote is lovely, there is beautfiul architecture (look up Cesar Manrique) and a great zoo if you have little ones. It is very windy though.

KingIrving Sat 10-Feb-18 09:31:27

I went there in summer and didn't find it windy.

Natalie2900 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:51:15

Such mixed reviews 😩. Oh the zoo would be lovely! We have a 6 year old and she loves zoos.
I may even go in April’s as I cannot wait I’m in deserprate need of a holiday!

Muddlingalongalone Sat 10-Feb-18 09:55:09

Lanzarote is surprisingly nice. There was one town which was v brits abroad bars etc but the mountains/caves architecture were lovely. No high rises.

Eminybob Sat 10-Feb-18 09:57:01

I went to menorca last year in early June, so only a couple of weeks later than you are planning an it was absolutely roasting.
I can’t imagine it being loads cooler a few weeks earlier.

However, that said, we are going to Lanzarote this June. We are staying in Costa Teguise which looks nice, several sandy beaches to choose from, our hotel has a splash pool for ds.
Playa Blanca is supposed to be really nice too.

Natalie2900 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:03:08

I’m looking at a hotel in Lanzarote in Las Palmas if anybody had any experience there?
I am so so bad at making decisions! I really don’t know where to go now 🤦🏻‍♀️

greendale17 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:04:31

Lanzagrotty- no thanks.

What about Tenerife?

crunchtime Sat 10-Feb-18 10:06:35

we have been to mallorca n may and had lovely weather.

Natalie2900 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:06:48

Sorry I’ve just
Looked on the map and some reason it says Las Palmas but when I google search the resort it says costa teguese ( excuse spelling )

superram Sat 10-Feb-18 10:11:54

I love lanzarote and there is so much more to do than in menorca, which I found boring and food terrible.

We actually stay in Pyrrho del carmen which is probably the grotty part but we stay near the harbour, food is excellent and we don’t go in any English or Irish bars (unless to watch football). I live the volcano, the house in the lava-amazing lunar landscape-no competition. I’ve also been to Tenerife but much prefer lanzarote.

MustBeThursday Sat 10-Feb-18 10:12:00

Costa Teguise in Lanzarote is quite windy (not gales but a fairly constant light wind when we were there) but it makes the temperature nicer - we went in May a few years ago and the temp was in the 30s bit it felt much more pleasant. I would have been far too hot without it. Anywhere on the same stretch will be a bit windy - apparently nicknamed "Breezy Teguise" by the tour operators. Lots of interesting things there! The National Park, loads of vineyards, a zoo...

Tenerife as far as I recall we went about the same time, a bit cooler but not so windy, so probably felt as warm. Again, lots of stuff to do, possibly a bit more in the way of water parks and similar.

Just be aware the sun is that much fiercer in the Canaries than the Balearics so keep on top of sun cream, shade etc.

hazelnutamericano Sat 10-Feb-18 10:16:42

Love Lanzarote personally. Lots of cool volcanic stuff to see. Lovely warm seas with amazing snorkelling and the resorts / hotels & Airbnbs I've stayed in have been great (been there 3 times).

Iggity Sat 10-Feb-18 10:19:30

Having been to both there is nothing much to do in either of them. We went to Lanzarote last Easter and it was warm. The heated pool was 1c higher than the unheated pool. It was ok and kids liked it. Didn’t try the sea. We went to see the Volcano but that was 3.5 hrs stuck on a 50 year old double decker bus and 20 mins to see volcano. We also did a boat trip which took us to the crappest beach for an 1hr. None of them were worth the money.
Menorca was nice but really nothing to do or see. We were in north of island which may have explained it as there were few beaches there but we went to capital one day and nothing to see.
Majorca has a bit more going on but overall these types of places are geared up for staying in pool all day and staying in hotel bar with mini disco in evening.
If you want this they are perfect; if not you need a different kind of holiday. However my DS loves these holidays🙁

AnnaMagnani Sat 10-Feb-18 10:19:50

Never been to either but Lanzarote is a regular feature on MN threads on holidays you thought would be crap (expecting Lanzargrotty) but were surprisingly excellent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: