Talk

Advanced search

Canvas campsites in Brittany

(14 Posts)
Laquila Tue 06-Feb-18 22:03:43

What are your recommendations? We’re looking at La Grande Metairie in Carnac and L’Atlantique near Fouesnant, for the first week of July, We’d probably go on the ferry to St Malo.

I also have happy memories of Pont Aven as a child and have looked at Les Deux Fontaines there - has anyone been there? We have a four yr old and a two yr old.

converseandjeans Tue 06-Feb-18 22:08:04

We love Camping le Chatelet. It has amazing views at sunset. There is a nice covered pool and a reasonably priced bar.
St Cast is lovely for little kids with a great grande plage and a nice square with ice cream cafes, a little park, places to eat.
We've been 6 times now and the kids love it. It is one of the smaller sites though. So depends what you're after. We like it as there are a mix of Brits/French/Dutch. No kids club or anything but there are some organised activities.

converseandjeans Tue 06-Feb-18 22:08:49

It's cheaper and quicker to go to Cherbourg.

CocaineAndCaviar Tue 06-Feb-18 22:19:37

Or Portsmouth - Caen. St Malo is nearly always the most expensive crossing! Have a browse online and you should be able to find a 10% discount code (if you've not already got one), not a whopping amount but you spend what you save on something nice over here 😛

Laquila Tue 06-Feb-18 22:31:54

Ooh thanks very much converse and Cocaine - that’s helpful. We’d like somewhere with a bit of life and ideally within walking distance of most amenities, but it doesn’t need to be particularly big or fancy. I do like a mix of nationalities (I am a nosy camper!) so will take a look at Le Chatelet.

I hadn’t really thought of kids club - not sure how my 4-yr old would feel about that (especially assuming that they wouldn’t take the 2-yr old). It might be nice for one lazy afternoon though!

TheSconeOfStone Tue 06-Feb-18 22:34:04

I've just booked Les Deux Fontaines for May half term through Brittany Ferries. They have 20% of 2018 holidays ending very soon. May be worth a look if Portsmouth - St Malo crossing is convenient for you.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 06-Feb-18 22:37:32

Meant to say La Grande Metairie and L’Atlantique both on Brittany Ferries website.

converseandjeans Tue 06-Feb-18 22:40:17

How much was it with 20% off scone if you don't mind me asking. Looking for a cheap deal at the moment for May Half Term.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 06-Feb-18 22:51:30

I've just booked for 5 nights only. Monday overnight crossing, Sunday day crossing. Was £505 including cabins there and back. There is a cleaning charge as well, Euro 60 I think it is. That's Plymouth-Roscoff. We're local so love the convenience of a quick drive to the ferry port then roll off and we're on holiday.

We've got lots of home improvements urgently needed this year so I'm happy with this as a cheap holiday. Deal ends this week sometime I think.

Laquila Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:37

Thinking about it a bit more, I guess we’d like to be able to walk to the nearest town/larger village - the Canvas website doesn’t seem to let you filter by that though. Having successfully taken the overnight ferry before wth the kids, we might stick to that (which would mean Portsmouth to St Malo) rather than the Cherbourg crossing, which doesn’t seem any cheaper for our dates.

Les Deux Fontaines does look nice Scone! A friend has also recommended Chateau de Galinee, which looks good, but not walkable to a town I don’t think.

Escale St Gilles looks walkable to Benodet - has anyone been there?

CardinalSin Thu 08-Feb-18 10:21:39

I haven't been to the campsite, but Benodet is a pleasant little town. Not too many attractions, but some shops, restaurants, bars etc..

CleanHankie Thu 08-Feb-18 22:42:04

We've been to Escale St Gillies and Grande Metaire and preferred Escale for its close proximity to Benodet.
Grande Metaire has a fab pool, and campsite is great. Best shop and campsite bread we've ever experienced! Did find the pitches were small for mobile homes. Carnac beach lovely and promenade with shops/restaurants but not within walking distance.
Escale again has lovely pool and large area is undercover so still enjoyable if raining. Small beach across the road from campsite which was perfect for sandcastle building, paddling and rock pooling. Benodet is 15mins walk away with much bigger beach and shops/restaurants with fabulous gallettes! The walk from campsite to town is along the coastline and is a very wide path securely fenced from the (quiet) road. Perfect path for scooting along in fact!

northender Thu 08-Feb-18 22:50:23

We've been to L'Atlantique when the dc were younger and it was a bit too far to walk to the village I think. We much preferred Village la Plage near Penmarch/Le Guilvinec which we've been to several times, it's fab, we all love it. It backs on to a long, long stretch of sandy beach and is a 20-30 minute walk to the village

Hhakuna Sat 10-Feb-18 09:54:10

the only part of Brittany we have been to is Benodet but its a lovely area and i think there is a few different sites nearby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now