Talk

Advanced search

Algarve

(31 Posts)
Loveagoodbook Sat 03-Feb-18 08:01:10

Im looking into going the Algarve in August. We have never been. Thinking of trying self catering for a change, so looking at private apartments possibly.
Can anyone recommend somewhere? We are a family of 4, children are aged 16 and 8.
Thank you ☺

Ricekrispie22 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:46:03

There are lots of great things for teenagers to do in Albufeira:
Dolphin watching and caves boat cruise
Half-day Algarve jeep safari
Aqualand Algarve is about 15 minutes away and has some thrill rides.
Kayaks, pedalos, banana boating and rings/tubing available from Ski Molhado

We also had a go on this which was great fun skimolhado.com/ufo/

We stayed in Tropical Sol Apartments so we had access to a pool and a shuttle bus to the beach (although it was only a kilometre away so we wales so,times too).

Ricekrispie22 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:46:34

* we walked sometimes too!

Loveagoodbook Sat 03-Feb-18 12:32:06

Thank you. I will look there

CheshireSplat Sat 03-Feb-18 12:43:43

We've been to the Algarve a couple of times with very small DCs. We've stayed in Cabanas de Tavira which is lovely (and small). You have to get the boat to the beach because it's out in a sandbank which is fun and also means we didn't spend all the time on the beach - not a fan!! There's not enough there if you didn't have a car.

It really depends what you're looking for. If you want to be based in one place, then a bigger town would be best. If you want to explore then it doesn't matter so much.

My main tip wou

If you have a car, there's so much to do and see out and about, castles, a fab wild swimming place in-land a bit.

This place is good for a day out if you have a car and has a great fish restaurant nearby. tavira-algarve-portugal.com/tavira/Praia-do-Barril-Tavira.html

ineedaholidaynow Sat 03-Feb-18 12:48:49

We have been to Carvoeiro a couple of times. A number of hotels there do self catering apartments. We stayed at Monte Santo resort but there are others that are similar.So we had 2 bedroom apartment which also had lounge/dining area and fully fitted kitchen. So we could self cater if we wanted but could also use the hotel facilities. The town also had many restaurants, so we booked B&B basis and tended to eat out most evenings and made our own lunch. Hotel had a free shuttle bus to the nearest large supermarket so could get stocked up there.

There are also private apartments in the area too.

We didn't get a car, and were quite happy to potter about the town, but did also go on a couple of excursions. There are water parks nearby and can do boat trips from the town. Or can arrange transport to other towns to go on other trips.

Loveagoodbook Sun 04-Feb-18 09:36:42

Thanks. I have been looking at Carvoerio, it does appeal to me 😀

ineedaholidaynow Sun 04-Feb-18 10:47:52

We loved it. can't often persuade DH to go back to the same place, but he took no persuading to go back there.

The resort we stayed at was slightly out of town, but within walking distance, there were also some restaurants nearby. There are other resorts closer in which offer similar facilities. The walk back for us involved a steep hill, dubbed the hateful hill, but at least we walked off some of the calories after all the delicious food we had eaten.

Everywhere is very family friendly.There is a square in the town, by the beach, which has live entertainment every evening in the summer months, it was lovely watching all the families dancing and enjoying themselves. Great place for people watching.

Our DS is in the middle of your children's ages and he really enjoys it there, so hopefully would suit yours. Although not many watersports there.

Loveagoodbook Sun 04-Feb-18 12:04:04

Thanks. What apartments did you stay at?

Brighteyes27 Sun 04-Feb-18 16:29:25

The Algarve is lovely and would be ideal for you although it is very popular this year with other places being out of bounds so it may be a case of what is available for your dates.
We have stayed in private let’s in Carvoeiro and Alvor (try holiday lettings or Owners Direct) both places would work but neither had anything on site other than the pool so you may want/need to hire a car. Now our kids are a little older secondary school age we have found it’s good to have a bit more on site.
Last year we self catered at the Falésia Mar a 3HB hotel which worked really well. You can book with Jet2 or direct with 3HB hotels. We booked breakfast which was fabulous lots of choice for everyone and it filled you up till about 2pm. Their was an entertainment team on site who ran various mixed age activities throughout the day such as water polo, water aerobics, football, yoga, archery etc. no pressure to take part and adults and older kids could join in most activities together if they wanted.
It is a lovely hotel fabulous views and some steps down to a lovely beach. Olhos is a quiet resort with a few restaurants and your not too far from the Splash parks or Albuferia or Old Town if that is your thing. We weren’t keen on Albuferia or the Old Town.
Alvor, Carvoeiro and Olhos all felt relaxing and safe.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 04-Feb-18 16:30:38

Carvoeiro is fabulous. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 04-Feb-18 16:36:30

I live in Carvoeiro, happy to answer any questions 😊

There’s a thread in short haul that I started a couple of years ago, I’ll try to find it

Costacoffeeplease Sun 04-Feb-18 16:37:19

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/shorthaul/2394670-Carvoeiro

Brighteyes27 Sun 04-Feb-18 17:18:44

We stayed in Monte Dourado apartments the one stayed at has been booked up for months.

Loveagoodbook Mon 05-Feb-18 09:24:20

Thanks I have looked at the Monte Daurado. I have also looked at Praia da Rocha, just worried Carvoeiro won't have enough for my 16 year old to do?

PeasAndHarmony Mon 05-Feb-18 09:38:17

We stayed at the Rocha Brava resort in carvoiera (well it's just outside) and it was lovely.

We really enjoyed having a car so we could go to different beaches, water parks and towns. We really liked Lagos, great science museum for kids and amazing fish restaurants and boats for me!

user1484313858 Mon 05-Feb-18 09:54:33

We've been to Carvoeiro and Praia da Luz several times which are both lovely. Very nice restaurants/bars/beeches etc, and Luz (from PD Luz) is only a few mins by taxi or bus for a livelier town/city type place.

We have passed through Albufeira a few times and it is very much more geared up for the 'British tourist' market with 'British Pubs' and Sunday roasts etc. Totally dependent on what you are looking for but maybe worth looking elsewhere also.

We go any time from June to October and we've almost always had stunning weather. Most recently in PD Luz we have been booking through a company called Luz Ocean Club - they seem to be a property management company of some description and have hotel rooms and whole private apartments. We had a great 2 bed apartment in the middle of the town, 2nd floor so a fab sea view, and we had the choice of two pools at neighboring hotels included. About £800 for 10 days or something around that I think.

Very jealous of CostaCoffee living out there - we hope to do the same eventually!

Brighteyes27 Mon 05-Feb-18 09:58:46

Loveagoodbook - it’s difficult and it’s all about compromise with holidays it’s no fun for anyone if someone is miserable. Carvoeiro is very lovely it depends on your 16 year old really. Are they very gregarious or quiet and moody, would they be happy to lie in, read, on phone, in pool, beach days, zoo marine or water park, chilling or do they expect to be permanently entertained and on the go?
When we stayed at MD their were a few 16-19 year olds still holidaying with parents (some of whom knew each other from previous years so enjoyed socializing together in and around the pool). The first time we went there their was a good mix of kids all ages so my two were both happy but the second year it was mainly kids well under 10 and over 16’s so my then 11 and 12 year old were out on a limb. So it’s a bit of a risk but your younger child might love it.
You could maybe try full on Albuferia or an all singing all dancing splash place but then no relaxation enjoyment for you.
The Falésia Mar in Olhos as a base worked well for us with early secondary school age DC. We all enjoyed the lovely big breakfasts, we read and relaxed in the shade, the DC met friends, chilled out, read or took part in some activities (which broke the day up). DS enjoyed getting involved playing water polo with his dad. We had time on the beach, a day in the Old Town which was too crazy, busy and more of a get drunk spot so we weren’t keen.
Let’s know how you get on and where you end up.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 05-Feb-18 10:18:43

As Brighteyes says, it depends on your teenager. Carvoeiro is the type of resort where you can give a sensible 16 year old a bit of freedom. You can do boat trips through the caves from the beach, or play tennis or 9 hole golf nearby. There are day trips to the Water parks, slide and splash and aqualand plus Zoomarine and dolphin watching trips out of portimao

Loveagoodbook Tue 06-Feb-18 09:41:12

Thanks, I think I have narrowed it down to 3 places. The Rocha Brava, Monte Daurado or Pestana Palm. Thanks for your help

Brighteyes27 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:02:38

I would look at the locations carefully before you decide. If you want to get into the centre of Carvoeiro to sample the restaurants, go to the town beach etc. I am surprised Monte Dourado have any availability to be fair. The walk from MD is down a steep hill but it is fairly quick and a short walk down the owners of the apartment we stayed in called the hill on the way back cardiac hill lol, it is doable and I am unfit. The Rocha Bravo looks nice but we dismissed it as it was quite a way out, I am unsure where the other one is perhaps costacoffee could advise? Another one we considered was Quinto Da Paradiso these are mainly private let’s so do check the reviews on any you are considering.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 06-Feb-18 12:52:33

Monte Dourado is closest to the town beach, but Rocha Brava is close to Centeanes which is bigger and has a nice beach bar/restaurant, it also has a really nice restaurant on site (one of our favourites) and several pool areas, tennis courts, gym etc. I don’t know Palm Gardens well but it is also close to Centeanes beach

There is a free minibus into Carvoeiro from Rocha Brava three or four times a day, and a taxi would only be 5-10 euros

Loveagoodbook Tue 06-Feb-18 13:22:06

Ok thanks. We ideally want somewhere were we can walk into the town at night

Costacoffeeplease Tue 06-Feb-18 14:00:16

Then Monte Dourado, Colina Verde, algar seco, monte Carvoeiro, Areias dos moinhos, Vila nova and quinta do paraiso are all places to look at

Costacoffeeplease Tue 06-Feb-18 14:00:31

Also monte santo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: