Talk

Advanced search

Bavarian Lakes

(9 Posts)
3catsandcounting Thu 01-Feb-18 21:04:09

We're thinking of a few days in Munich, followed by 5-7 days at a nearby lake; possibly Chiemsee, Starnberg, Ammersee?
Don't know anything about these areas, I've only ever been to Munich. Does anyone have good suggestions for a family with 2 older teens? We want to base ourselves in a town/village close to a lake. Bars/restaurants, a bit going on, some water sports maybe?

3catsandcounting Sat 03-Feb-18 13:55:05

Hopeful bump?

butterflycatcher Sun 11-Feb-18 10:02:44

I recently went to Zugspitze and visited a lovely lake in the area of Eibsee nearby. It is a relatively short drive from Munich. There were lots of traditional Bavarian restaurants within a short drive of the area. Don't know much about day to day activities as we were there to enjoy the mountain, had a bit of walk through the forest and a splash around in the lakes. Was very beautiful and picturesque. Would have loved to stay longer than the couple of days we were there for.

littlebillie Sun 11-Feb-18 22:28:52

We had a week in Rupholding the sommerdkard is amazing and we were visiting the little theme park and the chairlifts. Chemise was around and hour by train but Rupholding was a lovely base

The lido was free too and it was spectacular

http://www.vita-alpina.de/

littlebillie Sun 11-Feb-18 22:30:10

A lot of the hotels have free bikes which was a godsend as the area is made for cycling

3catsandcounting Mon 12-Feb-18 11:06:07

Thanks for these suggestions - I'll take a look.
We have friends in Munich, so staying with them for a couple of days, as a base.
Now that DCs are teens, we find a combination of city break and resort/beach/lake works well.

Dozer Mon 12-Feb-18 20:36:37

We did this with younger DC and after Munich stayed somewhere near the famous castle and a hangliding area. Was really easy to get there by car, v pretty, peaceful scenery and good, flat cycling! Imagine hiking there would be lovely. Lakes were a bit dull IMO and it was pretty quiet. I disliked the food!

DustOffYourHighestHopes Mon 12-Feb-18 20:40:29

We had a great time with young children but the lakes are not the most exciting aesthetically - quite flat shoreline. Good for cycling around the shore. Friederichstafen was fun for the zeppelins.

Love the food.

user1486076969 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:42:39

A bit further away (marginally,...and in Austria) but can recommend Sporthotel Achensee, not directly on the lake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now