Talk

Advanced search

Why Amsterdam is brilliant with kids (or without)

(28 Posts)
tracelab Wed 24-Jan-18 16:25:19

I've noticed some threads on here recently looking for info about family trips to Amsterdam

I'm an Amsterdam blogger with heaps of info on my site for travelling to the city with kids and without. There's also loads about family activities in the rest of The Netherlands.

Really happy to help if anyone has specific questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

www.amsterdamwonderland.com

amsterdamwonderland.com/category/kids/

Dolceandgabbana14 Sat 27-Jan-18 13:55:12

Thank you for posting this. I'm going with DC (7 and 4) and my parents in April. Staying in Leiden, visiting Keukenhof. Your blog will be great for helping us find other activities to do whilst we are there! flowers

CraftyGin Sat 27-Jan-18 14:00:42

We enjoyed our two nights in Amsterdam. We had really reasonably priced accommodation in Damstraat (I think it was designed for stag parties but worked out well for our family of seven). The city is so compact that even little legs do not get tired.

A trip to Zaanse Schans is great too.

taekwondo Sat 27-Jan-18 14:25:41

Thank you! We've been considering it for a while

DullAndOld Sat 27-Jan-18 14:26:41

interesting.
we visited Amsterdam twice when the children were about 9 or 10, and they loved it.

tracelab Sat 27-Jan-18 14:48:15

Brilliant. So pleased to hear that.

tracelab Sat 27-Jan-18 15:25:43

Brilliant. You’ll have a great time. Feel free to get in touch via the blog if there’s anything I can help with

tracelab Sat 27-Jan-18 15:29:47

Sorry, those replies were meant for @dullandold and @Dolceandgabbana14!

prettymess Sat 27-Jan-18 15:32:36

We went to Amsterdam on a whim last summer as we were in Belgium and it wouldn’t actually take that long to drive!

We went to the Van Gogh museum. DS has autism and he wasn’t allowed into the galleries with his rucksack. You had to put them into a cloakroom to go in. He had a big meltdown, sat sobbing and rocking in a corner. A kind member of staff tried to help out. She spoke to security and they put a special sticker on his bag so he could get through. They make exemptions for medical reasons (like aspirators in bags etc) and this was deemed a medical exemption. He was allowed through and enjoyed the art so much. It made me cry so much and it was such a wonderful visit in the end.

If you do visit Van Gogh museum I would recommend booking your tickets online to avoid queuing.

prettymess Sat 27-Jan-18 15:33:04

Meant to add DS aid 11y old.

prettymess Sat 27-Jan-18 15:34:59

And I think I meant a respirator!

chimppyjamas Sun 28-Jan-18 08:48:44

Thank you, this great timing as we are going at half-term with DSs 9 & 12. Will have a good read of your blog.

tracelab Sun 28-Jan-18 09:16:44

@chimppyjamas Great! Brilliant age to make the most of it. Let me know if I can help with anything x

tracelab Wed 31-Jan-18 14:12:32

Quick update - inspired by you all, I've just written a blog post with a 48 hour itinerary for Amsterdam with kids. Hope it helps those of you who are planning a visit

amsterdamwonderland.com/2018/01/30/a-48-hour-amsterdam-family-itinerary-the-perfect-weekend-city-break-with-kids/

(love your story about the Van Gogh Museum @prettymess! My son has ADHD and we are always so grateful for kindness and understanding when travelling).

Boredboredboredboredbored Wed 31-Jan-18 16:53:05

Thanks op I have just booked Morgan & Mees on your recommendation. Strictly child free though for 4 nights in May. Can't bloody wait!!!

EllenJanethickerknickers Wed 31-Jan-18 16:57:12

Thank you, will watch this thread as I'm taking my 3 DSs to Amsterdam in July for 4 nights. Ages 16-20 but DS2 has ASD and can be tricky to entertain. Looking forward to it!

WipsGlitter Sun 04-Feb-18 14:46:37

Placemarking. Looking at July for a visit. Accommodation is expensive shock

Shockedshell Sun 04-Feb-18 14:59:39

I bought tickets for The Jam in the Dam exhibition in May which has now been bloody cancelled angry so have 3 nights booked in Amsterdam in May and no idea what to do whilst there. I had considered cancelling as I thought we might be a bit too old and straight laced to enjoy Amsterdam grinl shall have to take a look at this blog and see if we can slavage our much needed break.

tracelab Sun 04-Feb-18 15:02:12

@shockedshell I'm confident all is not lost!

BillyJoel Sun 04-Feb-18 15:08:11

Hello. Can I just ask a bit of advice. We are going through Amsterdam airport on a long stopover in March. Arrive 5pm Saturday leave 5am Sunday. I don't want a hotel so we plan to spend a lively long evening in the city then head back to the airport as late at night as possible. (Having left our bags at the arport). Do you have any suggestions of what to do at that time. What will still be open in the evening? And where should we eat? It will be me, my 12 yearr and 17 year old daughters.
Any ideas most welcome! Thanks

tracelab Sun 04-Feb-18 15:20:07

Hi @BillyJoel. As you're with a 12 year old, late night clubs obviously aren't going to be an option. Why not go the the De Hallen complex - there's a great cinema there (many films are subtitled but in English) and the Foodhallen food market open until about 11.30/12.00 I think.

More info here https://amsterdamwonderland.com/2016/06/15/foodhallen/

BillyJoel Sun 04-Feb-18 17:38:52

Wow thanks tracelab. That looks amazing and we would never have stumbled across it! We are definitely going to head there.

tracelab Sun 04-Feb-18 17:49:30

@billyjoel brilliant! Really happy to help if there's anything else you want to know xx

tracelab Sun 04-Feb-18 18:12:52

@BillyJoel and if you're "bag free" and it's not raining, walk back through the canal ring late at night. It will be quiet and beautiful (dress warm though if it's in the next couple of months!)

Ofitck Wed 07-Feb-18 08:53:07

Hi, we are going in September for a weekend with a 1 and nearly 5 year old. I really want to visit the Anne Frank house but don’t know whether that’s a bad idea with the nearly 5 year old? (He went to Dachau at 1 and was well behaved and quiet so im not as worried about the 1yo). What are your thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now