Talk

Advanced search

Impossible to have a holiday away?

(24 Posts)
Cawanaka Wed 24-Jan-18 10:26:40

DC dying to go abroad this summer (and so am I).

Is there any way we could afford something for a grand or less? That would be a stretch but think we could just about swing it. Not a city break I don't think as I'd want to eat out lots in a city and we just don't have the cash for it.

DC are 6, 4 and 1. Don't really want to camp but happy to stay in a mobile home kind of thing.

Open to any ideas but ideally not something that requires a lot of driving. That's the only requirement really. Plus sunshine of some description!

Is it at all possible?

Brighteyes27 Wed 24-Jan-18 10:30:52

I think it maybe just possible if you took the kids out of school a few days early and managed to get an absolute bargain but I think it would be nearer £1500 and that would be camping/lodge are you talking £1000 in total for all food flights days out and accommodation?

Millipedewithherfeetup Wed 24-Jan-18 10:54:40

Depending on which part of the country you live... but ferry from Dover to calais is pretty cheap... lots of mobile home sites booking direct with the site rather than tour operator also works out cheaper. It also depends on when you go.. as mentioned above going before schools finish would bring costs down further.

ineedwine99 Wed 24-Jan-18 11:00:08

I think you may have to drive. You can try Tui and jet2holidays who both offer 1 free child place, meaning you'd only have 1 to pay for given the other is an infant. You'd need to be flexible on dates and location though to get a free child place, i would think self catering would be your best bet too

Stupidwife Wed 24-Jan-18 11:13:43

If your on Facebook look up the sun holidays £9.50/ £15.00 page.

All the codes are on there and they have holiday parks in Europe

Bunkai Wed 24-Jan-18 11:20:31

Try October half term if Summer hols are over your budget. Agree that Jet2 is a good one to look at.

MargoLovebutter Wed 24-Jan-18 11:41:45

I managed a week for £1.3k last year during the summer holidays. We flew to a big airport in central Europe - if there are lots of flights going in & out, you get better prices than the smaller airports. Also flew mid-week as the flights were cheaper then, picked up a hire car, which I had pre-booked as soon as I booked the flights, so it was cheap too. Drove for a few hours away from the airport to a cabin/mobile home on a campsite. I booked it privately direct with the campsite - rather than going via one of the big camping firms, who often add their own mark up. We went right at the end of the UK school summer holidays, as by that state many of the European countries have just started back to school, so the campsite had the flexibility to do a mid-week booking and the price dipped down too.

Costs:
Flights - £750
Car - £160
Cabin - £670

We flew BA & stayed in a higher grade cabin, so I could have brought it in cheaper than that.

Cawanaka Wed 24-Jan-18 12:03:01

Thanks for all the advice. Re holiday parks/campsites how on earth do you know if they're ok? There are so many and they all look essentially the same to
Me?

MargoLovebutter Wed 24-Jan-18 12:07:44

Most of the sites have online reviews on Tripadvisor. My own view is that most mainland European campsites are fairly well run, if not very well run. The French, Germans and Dutch (usually the biggest groups of car number plates you see) are no more likely than we are to put up with crap sites, and may even have higher standards. If you find a site that has translations into those languages and looks decent - you'll probably be ok.

Luckyme2 Wed 24-Jan-18 12:08:44

Have you all got passports? That can add to the cost

Snotato Wed 24-Jan-18 12:19:28

Can your parents or your partners parents go with you?
Last year we went with oh’s parents.we booked for our dd to go with us and ds to go with oh’s parents via Thomson website,so we got a free child space for both the kids.i think your 1yo will go free anyway.
We paid a little over £1000 for a weeks all inclusive in Ibiza.

Cawanaka Wed 24-Jan-18 12:48:18

Any recommendations?

Branleuse Wed 24-Jan-18 12:50:58

take them in the May/june week. Its much cheaper, and weather is starting to heat up all over europe. Take a look at eurocamp and canvas holidays maybe

Hairyhat Wed 24-Jan-18 16:09:08

Duinrell is good. Huge park and free 2 hours in their pool if you book with them. Or eurocamp have vans their. You can also take your own tent!

Hairyhat Wed 24-Jan-18 16:10:50

You can buy all your shopping in the local town's supermarket rather than using the onsite shop to save more money. The town is 400 yards away. It's called Wassanaar I think.

Gallymum1 Wed 24-Jan-18 16:26:30

Hiya. If you book it all separately it can work out cheaper. The yelloh camps in France good. We flew Flybe from Southampton to France and got mini bus to site. It came in around £1200. There were 5 of us and we stayed in mob Home x

Gallymum1 Wed 24-Jan-18 16:30:29

Just to add, we stayed at la chenaie and flew in to Nantes. If you go last week in August the French schools are already going back so prices are cheaper x

Kaz2200 Wed 24-Jan-18 16:46:03

Have a look at ice lolly. Com they have some cheap hidays, also kiwi. Com for cheap flight you can search anywhere at anytime and look at Airbnb for accommodation.

MargoLovebutter Wed 24-Jan-18 17:04:01

Another vote here for Yelloh Village sites.

blue25 Thu 25-Jan-18 23:59:16

Intrigued that a 6,4 & 1 year old are dying to go abroad. Would they not be just as happy in the UK? Some fabulous places here-Cornwall, Isle of Wight if they'd like a ferrry, Wales etc.

MiserableAsSin Sun 28-Jan-18 13:36:59

You can eat way cheaper in cities because of street food which is on the go,cheap, quick and delicious so I wouldn't rule it out . We end up spending far more on food when we are out of the city as it's also less competitive .

MinnieMousse Sun 28-Jan-18 13:47:50

Cheapest way to get "abroad" is the Dover to Calais ferry. From there you could drive easily to Northern France, (eg Normandy is nice) or Belgium/Holland (lovely sandy beaches on the coast). Of course, the weather is not always reliable . You could go further afield in France if you were prepared to drive but be prepared for petrol and toll costs.

Most places in France have municipal campsites which are good value. Look at a region you are interested in and Google "campings municipals". Some are very basic, tent-only sites but there are some with their own accommodation and pool etc.

somewhereovertherain Sun 28-Jan-18 19:40:47

We’ve done Spain flying from Scotland last two weeks of August villa, car hire all for 1200 quid for two weeks family of four. Flew Ryanair, booked villa via facebook seek and sell site.

somewhereovertherain Sun 28-Jan-18 19:42:28

Center Parcs in Europe ferry to Dunkirk or Calais

Also did Sweden in August flying to Copenhagen for £1200 or so car hire, flights and villa for a fortnight. Booked villa with novasol. Last two weeks of August end of school holidays in Sweden so much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: