Talk

Advanced search

Shorthaul winter sun that isn't the canaries?

(10 Posts)
KitKat1985 Fri 12-Jan-18 14:24:37

Hello. I've requested 2 weeks off work in Feb 2019, with the idea of going on the hunt for some winter sun (we're doing something similar this year and going to Lanzarote next month). It'll be the last time we can get away with taking a cheap term-time winter sun break as DD1 will be starting school in Sept 2019. But since we're going to Lanzarote this year it would be nice to go somewhere other than the Canaries in 2019. Any ideas? My criteria are:
1) Ideally less than 6 hours flight.
2) Reasonable cost.
3) Suitable for small children (our DDs will 4 and 2 in Feb 2019).

mummymeister Sat 13-Jan-18 13:16:48

Cyprus. to get warm sun in February you do have to go pretty far. south Africa?

PunkAssMoFo Tue 16-Jan-18 11:27:54

You’ll be lucky to find anywhere reliably warm in Europe or North Africa in Feb. We usually go early March and Morocco has been the warmest. My advice would be to fly a little longer to the Caribbean as it’s still quite reasonably priced and very child friendly.

KitKat1985 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:55:48

Thank you for your replies. Where in the Caribbean is good for kids do you think?

tellybear Wed 17-Jan-18 21:45:30

Cape Verde

PunkAssMoFo Wed 17-Jan-18 22:38:16

We’ve taken our little ones to Jamaica, Cuba and Mexico. Saw plenty of children in Dom rep too. Id look into the destinations to see if you fancy any of them, but they’re all pretty child friendly. There’s a wide range of hotels and excursions etc depending on what you’re looking for.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 20-Jan-18 11:33:31

Definitely don’t go to Jamaica at the moment. Lots of unrest and awful crime.

KitKat1985 Sat 20-Jan-18 20:16:19

Okay thank you.

Jassmells Sat 20-Jan-18 23:01:29

Dubai just over 6 hours worth a try? Or Cape Verde.

loopsngeorge Mon 22-Jan-18 11:07:45

Coconut Bay in St Lucia is fantastic. Its a nine hour flight, but literally a five minute transfer from the airport. I think for the guaranteed weather and the beauty of it, it's well worth a slightly longer plane journey compared to the Canaries. There are great kids facilities, lazy river, waterslides and if you are so minded they will look after your kids most of the day, even babies!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: