Talk

Advanced search

Norway in a nutshell

(7 Posts)
LaBelleSauvage123 Sat 06-Jan-18 21:10:28

We are thinking about doing this tour as part of a 4 day 3 night break in late Oct / early Nov, probably flying into Oslo as it’s cheaper than Bergen. Has anyone been and can recommend places to stay? Thinking of one night in Oslo, one en route ( Flåm? Voss?) and one in Bergen, though not sure if that will give us enough time to get back to Oslo for the flight home, so could do nights in Oslo, Bergen and Oslo again instead.
Wondering about the time of year though - apparently it’s much less touristy then but is it going to be too rainy/misty/dark to see anything of the fjords?

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 18-Feb-18 08:32:30

We’re doing similar in August. Have booked it all now!
Airb&b for us. Flying to Oslo for 3 nights (the Oslocard looks great for entry to lots of places), then Flam for 2 (train journey), then onto Bergen for 4 nights and flying home from there.
DC will be 9 & 6. Expecting lots of sight seeing, walking etc. Not too bothered about weather as DC are red haired and pale so don’t do great in the sun! And we live in Devon so are used to rain.
Might invest in walking boots before we go.

SJane45S Sun 18-Feb-18 20:25:16

Not been to Oslo but we stayed in Bergen a couple of summers ago. It’s a beautiful city (if you’ve ever watched Roadl Dahls ‘The Witches’, a lot of it looks like that & the mountains & nature are all very close. It did literally rain virtually constantly so pack for that & have a good idea of what in-door places you want to visit. We rented a lovely apartment in a lovely historic old street through the local tourist site. It was half of the price of the hotels, really nice & saved us lots on eating out (which is horribly expensive!). Basically, pack warm & waterproof stuff & go the non hotel route just to sum up a bit of a waffly post!

SJane45S Sun 18-Feb-18 20:27:51

Ps - even though we went the peak of summer & there were daily cruise ship arrivals, Bergen didnt feel very touristy - possibly because most people were in the Med!

Stella60 Sun 18-Feb-18 20:33:15

Love Norway! Not been at that time of year but have done summer and winter both beautiful. Oslo has many interesting museums outdoor parks and sculptures. The journey from Oslo to Bergen is stunning. I slightly preferred Bergen as a city,lovely port and wooden buildings. Also funicular railway up the mountain. Accommodation, food, etc very expensive.

KnittingPearl Sun 18-Feb-18 20:42:44

Oslo is amazing and so is the Oslocard.

We spent a weekend there a couple of years ago, and the museums (Viking boats, polar expeditions, Thor Heyerdahl etc) were fantastic.

strawberriesaregood Sun 18-Feb-18 20:46:53

I love Oslo! Go to the insane sculpture park, and the museums.

I was there in I think October, and it was still so warm I could wear a t-shirt, but there was snow in that beautiful forest just outside the city.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: