Talk

Advanced search

Winter sun for 2 weeks when 24 weeks preggers in Feb!

(10 Posts)
Paperchains1986 Tue 02-Jan-18 07:55:13

Hi all

I'll be 24 weeks pregnant and have two weeks booked off from work 24th Feb to 11th March. We would like to have some winter sun!

Considered Thailand but husband worried about length of the flight and my comfort. We couldn't afford anything other than standard economy.

Love The Gambia but worried about Zika.

Have thought about Marrakech but think it'll be quite hectic and the riads have very small pools.

Have thought about Maderia but apparently it's very windy?

Have been to Gran Canaria before and didn't enjoy it - the food and culture was lacking. We like looking at nice architecture and being able to sightsee, although think it'll be difficult if still suffering from tiredness like I am now.

Other options are Cyprus or Lanzarote. We seem to be going round in circles to find somewhere. We want to keep it as cheap as possible - are all inclusive places nice and worth the money? Particularly if so won't be drinking!

We aren't really fans of big apartment blocks so not sure all inclusive will suit us.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Mybabystolemysanity Tue 02-Jan-18 08:01:16

Was in Lanzarote end Feb/early March when DD was 12 weeks old. Second visit and didn't enjoy it as much this time. Stayed in a villa in Playa Blanca. Weather was good enough for sunbathing and did swim in sea, but it was cold!

Would prefer to go back to El Cotillo on Fuerteventura. Less populated and built up. Beautiful beaches too. Did self catering there and it was lovely.

How about Cape Verde? It's on my list, but haven't made it there yet.

Margomyhero Tue 02-Jan-18 08:09:13

Your options are limited if you want short haul (having flown during pregnancy I would definitely stick to short flights) and no vaccinations or chances of illness.

I have gone away most Februarys for the past few years (school half term). Always to the Canaries.

The weather is pleasant, although on occasion there are some rainy/windy/cooler days.

My favourite island is Tenerife. Now that DC is grown up me and DH tend to stay in the north of the island. It's more authentically Canarian. There are still lots of tourists of course but also traditional buildings. If you hire a car you can visit some interesting and scenic places on the north of the island. It isn't all 1 euro per pint and timeshares grin

I also like Lanzarote. Again there are some interesting places to visit - lots of volcanic stuff - and Cesar Manrique history and buildings etc. Hire a car there too and explore - some nice small towns and resorts to visit.

Fuerteventura has some lovely beaches - and small towns to explore. It's very quiet but I quite like it.

You say you have visited Gran Canaria . Me too, but only the once and I didn't take to it. The other islands have had repeat visits from me.

I am going to Tenerife again this Feb - although before the half term - and will be staying in Puerto de la Cruz. It's got enough tapas bars, restaurants and shops to keep us entertained but isn't too loud and lairy . There are also a varied mix of nationalities. I hate to visit anywhere that is all British tourists - am happy to mingle with German, Scandinavian and Spanish people also.

eurochick Tue 02-Jan-18 08:10:37

We've been to Oman for winter sun. That might suit - no zika and the flight isn't too long.

Margomyhero Tue 02-Jan-18 08:10:39

Oh we have, in the past, hired villas in Tenerife too. Always much more relaxing if you like your own space. The last one was a few years ago now though - from Tenerife Country Villas.

Paperchains1986 Tue 02-Jan-18 21:03:01

Thanks all, really really helpful!

Intelinside Sat 13-Jan-18 23:20:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Sat 13-Jan-18 23:23:50

Malta

Herculesfan Sat 13-Jan-18 23:27:29

Last November while 24w pregnant I went to Lanzarote. It was really lovely and I would definitely recommend it. Spent the time just swimming in the pool and relaxing in the gentle sun! I stayed at the Volcan which was fab.

LadyGAgain Sun 14-Jan-18 09:25:50

Cape verdes? But check for zika. Lovely AL hotels. Very relaxing. 6 hour flight.
Sri Lanka - I can't remember the flight time but it's 10 or under and that's ok at 24 weeks. A few films and a snooze and you're there. Beautiful country. Loads to do/see as well if you fancy it. Food is incredible!
Enjoy whatever you choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now