Talk

Advanced search

Bavaria next Summer with a 4.5 yo

(4 Posts)
starfish8 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:34:17

Hi everyone

Considering taking a week in August to explore a bit of Bavaria so wanted some suggestions of places to visit.

We have been to Munich a couple of times, so fancy more of a tour of a wider area. I'm attracted to Nuremberg and probably a trip to Playmobil Fun Park. (Am aware that German school holidays are that period - but unfortunately will have to suck that up!)

Can anyone recommend any other picturesque towns and attractions to visit?

P.S. We will have the option of flying either into Nuremberg or Munich and expect to hire a car to get around.

Hulder Fri 08-Dec-17 22:02:51

Burghausen - longest castle in the world. Easy weekend break from Munich, lovely town and well, it's the longest castle in the world! can you tell I got unreasonably excited over this

You could do the Romantic Road and Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbuhl - we stayed in Dinkelsbuhl and it is unbelievably cute. Can stop on the way to go to Harburg which is another great castle.

Wurzburg also has a good castle plus the Residenz.

Or you can follow the crowds to Neuchswanstein, Herrenchiemsee and the Linderhof but they may not be so much fun for a 4.5 yr old. TBH the time we'd got to Herrenchiemsee I'd decided Mad King Ludwig was rather tedious and deserved to be drowned. It's also a lot of walking and driving to get there to see all the fun bits of Linderhof which is quite spread out and is the maddest of the lot.

YorkshireTeaDrinker Sat 09-Dec-17 08:53:51

You could nip over the border into Austria and go to the Achensee. There are boats on the lake, cable cars up the mountains at Pertisau and Maurach and a steam train on the mountain railway from Seespitz to Jenbach in the Inn valley.

There are also loads of playgrounds!

We had a week in Pertisau a couple of years ago with our then 5yo DD. Found plenty to keep us all happy.

Annebronte Sat 09-Dec-17 08:59:49

Chiemsee is a really lovely lake with pretty villages around. You can hire little boats and it is great for swimming. There are two lovely islands, one with a little Castle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now