Advanced search

Unheated pool in Mallorca in May half term?

(19 Posts)
SunnyUpNorth Thu 30-Nov-17 20:27:42

We have gone away the last two years in May half term to hotels. The pools and have been unheated and literally freezing cold. I do open water swimming and couldn't get in! It was terrible for the kids as they couldn't use the pool at all.

So this year we are looking at hiring a villa in Mallorca. One of our criteria was a heated pool but they are few and far between on the dates we are looking at. I'm guessing a small private pool heats from the sun a lot more easily than a big hotel pool, but we are concerned if it isn't warm enough the kids won't use the pool. They are brilliant swimmers but not very hardy! They will be 7 and 5.

didldidi Thu 30-Nov-17 20:35:06

I wouldn't go to Majorca again in May half term after dodgy weather let alone get in a cold pool! We have just booked turkey for the same time next year and chose a place with a heated pool.

Backingvocals Thu 30-Nov-17 20:36:57

We've just chosen a heated pool for our half term holiday in Greece. Made that mistake before and it's just too cold and makes the pool a bit pointless. What I like most on holiday is the kids being in the pool all the time so this is an important requirement for me.

JaneEyre70 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:38:03

We went to Spain in early June to a villa with an unheated pool, and it was torture to see the sparkling water and lie around it as it was far too cold to get in most days, and it really spoiled the holiday tbh. I braved it most as I'm a keen swimmer but our DDs were not impressed.

Cavender Thu 30-Nov-17 20:42:44

Hmm. Average temperature for Mallorca appears to be 15-20 degrees.

We have an outdoor pool (live in the USA). We don’t usually use it below about 25 degrees.

It depends how big and deep it is though. A smallish pool might be ok in the afternoons.

NatMatCat Thu 30-Nov-17 20:44:08

This is a major holiday booking bugbear of mine. Very few places in Europe have heated pools which means they are totally unusable outside the peak of summer. My dc love being in the water. I will only book hotels with a heated pool but choice is very restricted. The Canaries seem to offer the best selection being an all year round destination.

If anyone can recommend anywhere with a decent heated pool let me know!

AnyFucker Thu 30-Nov-17 20:45:07

Go to Playa Blanca, Lanzarote and rent a villa with a heated pool

There are lots of them

I guarantee you a brilliant time. And you will use the pool.

ArnoldBee Thu 30-Nov-17 20:45:58

Not sure it helps but when we book a hotel they state the pool will only be heated November to March.

Cavender Thu 30-Nov-17 21:05:37

To be fair Arnold heating a pool is incredibly expensive. We can heat ours but never do.

SunnyUpNorth Fri 01-Dec-17 09:15:32

Thanks all, you made the decision for me, I had decision paralysis from going around in circles looking at all the options.

Have booked one with heating, let's hope it's a success! Thanks

3girlsunder3 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:34:19

Hope you have a brilliant time op. Just to go against the tide, We've been to Majorca in May half term for the last few years, and its always been really hot, late 20s early 30s even 35c on some days. Unheated pools have never been an issue for us or 3 kids,who spend all their time in the water. Personally I think any pool will be fine, its very hot!

AstridWhite Sat 02-Dec-17 16:12:04

The pool will be freezing. Even if the weather is hot the pool will be cold as it will be too early in the season for it to have warmed up sufficiently.

heron98 Mon 04-Dec-17 12:02:11

We went to Gran Canaria in April with an unheated pool. It was absolutely freezing, and it was only small. None of us used it.

AstridWhite Tue 05-Dec-17 09:48:24

Yes and Grand Canaria is a winter sun destination where the sun would have been on the pool all winter. Mallorca isn’t.

KingIrving Fri 08-Dec-17 02:15:44

This hotel in Tenerife South has not one but TWO heated pools, one outdoor and one indoor
I used to live in Spain. May is too cool to warm a pool

specialsubject Sat 09-Dec-17 13:36:25

No beach nearby? Sea will be warmer and cleaner.

Heating pools out of season and being concerned about climate change are mutually exclusive.

NatMatCat Sat 09-Dec-17 22:43:08

Fling to a holiday destination in the first place is incompatible with environmentalism. You can heat pools with solar energy. Even if they don't the very fact that I'm in Tenerife shows that I care more about having a good holiday than my impact on the environment. I want to swim on holiday without turning blue.

KingIrving Sun 10-Dec-17 08:04:10

The costa adeje palace which I linked is very nice. I hate the cold and cold water and I found the heated outdoor pool warm enough to swim. The un-heated ones were cold.
And climate change is far more impacted by industrial cattle raising than by any pool or all means of transport combined. So enjoy the holiday

specialsubject Sun 10-Dec-17 08:49:27

Stuff the planet, little bits make no difference, Im all right jack.

That's mn for you!

Go somewhere at the right time of year for what you want to do. Eat food that is in season. Wear the right clothes for the conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now