Talk

Advanced search

Italy end of August - where to stay and who to book with

(20 Posts)
EllaSaturday Mon 20-Nov-17 15:22:24

We are looking at our first proper holiday abroad. DH and DC (10 and 8) want to go to Italy. DH fancies a villa with pool somewhere he can do days out to nice historic towns. And there must be pizza and gelato. I am happy for a villa type thing in a small holiday park or maybe agriturismo. But nothing too big and no caravans.
Where would you recommend for the last 2 weeks of August? And where would I go to book? Been trawling the internet and gone villa-blind...

LIZS Mon 20-Nov-17 15:29:04

Lake Garda, lots of small towns to explore, Verona/Venice are within reach, water sports and swimming. Will not be so busy late August as European schools will have returned. Not many villas lakeside though. Perhaps two centre with Dolomites or another lake.

LIZS Mon 20-Nov-17 15:30:05

and theme parks like Gardaland.

EllaSaturday Mon 20-Nov-17 15:49:13

Where on Lake Garda would you stay?

LIZS Mon 20-Nov-17 16:01:40

Depends what you want to do. Riva and Torbole are sailing and windsurf hotspots and the north is more mountainous, south like Peschiera more gentle lakeside bathing and quicker access to Verona and theme/water parks. You can get from one resort to another by ferry boat but it takes a few hours north to south even on the fast ferry.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 20-Nov-17 16:48:17

One of the little villages on the lake would be nice. We’ve stayed in Malcesine for example. Short walk to the lake (so no need for a pool), nice restaurant and pleasant people.

It’s stinking hot in August. Do you like the heat?

Ta1kinPeace Mon 20-Nov-17 16:50:28

Airbnb
last summer we did Naples, Rome and the seaside.
two of the ones we hire I would gladly go back to.
The other one has been removed from the site.

Have done Airbnb in other countries too. Its fab.

EllaSaturday Mon 20-Nov-17 18:48:39

We are stuck with end of August. Hence the need for swimming! Don't mind the geat mysekf but DS1 doesn't like it too hot

Melassa Mon 20-Nov-17 18:52:58

End of August will still be busy, Italian schools go back mid September. That said most will be at the beach, so if you do prefer the countryside to the coast why not try Umbria or Marche in central Italy? Garda is nice too but it will be heaving in August.

KalaLaka Mon 20-Nov-17 18:54:55

Best b&b we ever went to: la casa medioevale. Very child friendly, nice garden and pool. Driveable to Florence, Lucca, sienna. Great pizzeria and gelateria in the village. Worth a look.

littlebillie Mon 20-Nov-17 18:59:21

We stayed on garda last summer in garda town it was lovely the town is so pretty and the hotel where we stayed had apartments

Melassa Mon 20-Nov-17 18:59:51

Sorry, lost part of my post.
Umbria and Marche are like Tuscany with the historic towns on hilltops but cheaper. Also, great food, great wine, activities for the kids like rafting (we went with DD and friends at 8-10), ponytrekking and cave trails, as well as medieval festivals in the hill towns. Plus Marche has a long coastline so you can have a day at the beach, although being the Adriatic coast it is a bit tacky, but no more so than Venice lido and Jesolo which are nearish Garda.

bakingaddict Mon 20-Nov-17 19:01:39

Why not do a week in Italy and then move on to Croatia. You could stay anywhere on the Istrian coast of Croatia, such as Umag, Porec or Rovinj. Ferries run between Venice and Croatia, it's about 3hrs from Venice to Umag

Ta1kinPeace Mon 20-Nov-17 20:10:03

Or do the seaplane from Italy to Croatia .....
we did the seaplane from Split to Hvar
it was amazing

EllaSaturday Mon 20-Nov-17 20:52:50

Oh I never would have thought of Croatia!

Ta1kinPeace Mon 20-Nov-17 20:54:57

Ah, have a look at Stari Grad on Hvar.

Not much in the way of swimming pools, but the sea is so amazing to swim in, who needs one :-)

shila40 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:08:43

Rome is great!!

Try looking in travelicita.com/Best_Destinations/Article
you'll find tips for tours and good prices for flights and hotels.

Jecan Tue 21-Nov-17 08:15:52

We went to Puglia last year and fell in love with it. The schools go back around the 1st of Sept so the beaches were empty but the temps were still high. The food was amazing - my mouth still waters thinking of it. We stayed in a villa with a pool that was in the hills above the town so we definitely needed a hire car while we were there. But because it was beginning of Sept we only paid 1100€ for 10 days. Flights to Bari are cheap and it was only 45 mins from the airport.

I’ve been to Croatia twice & now that I’ve been to Italy, I feel Croatia is the poor touristy cousin. Croatia is heaving in September since Bavarian schools don’t go back till mid Sept so lots of Germans go in those 2 weeks. There are very few Sandy beaches which becomes a bit boring for kids.

I would choose Italy every time - I can try to find the link to the villa if you want but it was remote & needed a car to drive 20 mins to the beach. That’s why it wasn’t so expensive but it did come with fig trees!! And very helpful owners

BowlingShoes Tue 21-Nov-17 08:16:06

Tuscany for Florence/Siena and beautiful towns and villages. You would need to hire a car. We stayed in an apartment of an agriturismo which had a pool. We got it from a website called to-tuscany, I think. We flew Ryanair to Pisa. It can be expensive in August though.

EllaSaturday Tue 21-Nov-17 10:59:05

Jecan, would you be able to find where you stayed, it does sound lovely. And car hire is fine for us, as is some travel to a beach.

Bowlingshoes, looking at the site, thanks! Lots of choice there (but might need to win the lottery for some!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now