Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Salzburg in December

(4 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 09:36:56

Has anyone been here?

We are going the week before Xmas for 3 days. It was an impulse thing as I have never seen a real European Christmas market.
We are taking our teenagers who are always up for a trip. We Don’t plan on car hire and can’t speak a word of German.

Any top tips would be welcome please. What to see , what to buy, where to eat etc. Thanks.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:41:45

We discovered that the man who owned Red Bull, the energy drink, is from Salzburg. Located in Salzburg’s tiny airport, he houses his collection of airplanes, racing cars and other big boy toys at Hangar 7 Aircraft Museum. Although called an aircraft museum, there is so much more than aircraft at Hanger 7. When you are this rich, presumably, you don’t like to be limited by mere words. The hanger itself is a gorgeous glass building which also has a lounge, outdoor cafe, bar, restaurant and a gift shop. My kids were duly impressed with all the toys on display. They were even more impressed that Mr. Red Bull kept his real airplanes (the ones for everyday use) in the hanger next door. The Hanger 7 Aircraft Museum is free of charge and open daily.
Perfect time of year for the Salzburg Christmas Museum. We spent about 40 mins here but it was summer time and so be prepared for it to be busier in December! Sections about advent calendars, decorations, Christmas in the future (with virtual Christmas tree!) etc,,.
Not part of the Christmas Museum is the Silent Night Museum, dedicated to the history of the carol! Great for teens as it is quite interactive and includes a karaoke station!
The toy museum was a pleasant surprise. It certainly isn't a collection of old dolls in cabinets. It's so interactive and not just for kids. Plenty of old and new games to play and make sure you check in all the drawers and doors for hidden surprises.
If you can, attend a strudel making workshop at Edelweiss Cookery school. They're run twice daily and last for a couple of hours. I think we paid about 30 euros for it, but it makes a nice alternative to museums and is good if the weather isn't kind.
The Wasser Spiegel is a surprisingly engaging museum about water technology.
The Panorama Museum is unique and well worth a visit.
At the world of puppets museum (very small but free) we had a laugh trying to control some of the incredible puppets. It was much harder than it looks! Puppets are also for sale.

glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 21:56:14

@Ricekrispie22 A brilliant reply with loads of things I hadn’t heard of. Thanks so much

Hersetta427 Wed 15-Nov-17 08:40:15

We did a trip to the saltmines which was good fun. I believe in the centre of Salzburg there is a museum of torture. Gruesome but interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now