Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Prague in January

(22 Posts)
FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Nov-17 01:32:54

I’ve just bought a voucher deal for a 3 night break to Prague in January. 2 40somethings that like Food and drink and maybe something a bit out there.... Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

splatattack Sun 12-Nov-17 01:56:27

There is a Cuban bar near the main square that is so so much fun! It is called Hemingway, is a real mix of ages and you will love it for after dinner drinks!

Ricekrispie22 Sun 12-Nov-17 08:06:06

Vytopna is a restaurant that delivers drinks to your table via trains on a miniature railway!

FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Nov-17 16:29:18

Both sound great, thanks!

Loctite Sun 12-Nov-17 16:39:12

oooh...we're going in December, also 2 40' somethings + one 12 year old/

I LOVE the sound of that bar with the trains!

OP we were there a few years ago and loved the Cubist Cafe - definitely worth a look for coffee / cake / wine.

Go to the observatory tower on the hill, and eat honey cake in their cafe.
Go and see the church with baby Jesus and all his clothes.
Kafka museum was good.
Bohemia Bagel for a v cheap coffee stop with excellent carrot cake.

Old Jewish cemetery
Changing the guard at the castle
Drinking mulled wine or hot chocolate outside wrapped in blankets

And take lots of layers, as it will be freezing!

FrankiesKnuckle Sat 18-Nov-17 21:34:30

Thank you! All duly noted!

WeeChoochyFace Sat 18-Nov-17 21:40:17

Do the sandemans free walking tour in the morning and then the paid one in the later afternoon at the castle. Great fun, very interesting and lovely guides.

There is a fabulous rum bar in Nove Mesto called zum zum. 900+ rums available. Superb!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/RestaurantReview-g274707-d4103097-Reviews-Zumm_ZumCafe-Praguee_Bohemia.html?m=19904

user21 Sat 18-Nov-17 21:43:08

lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/

sansho.cz/#about

Both great restaurants

Spam88 Sat 18-Nov-17 21:59:23

Best thing we did in Prague was Speculum Alchimiae (nothing to do with smears...). During the floods, a bit of pavement collapsed and uncovered these old underground alchemy labs. The tour is so good. It’s not far from the square in the old town but you wouldn’t know it was there if you weren’t looking for it.

BIWI Sat 18-Nov-17 22:00:39

It will be really cold then though - just so you're prepared!

Spam88 Sat 18-Nov-17 22:03:48

Oh yeah, it’ll be freezing. We went in November and brrrrr.

Carebear1357 Sat 18-Nov-17 22:09:54

I went to Prague in January as while ago and it was absolutely perishing!! I went to st Petersburg (Russia) in January a couple of years after that and it wasn't as cold! Be prepared!!

FrankiesKnuckle Sat 18-Nov-17 22:18:28

The rum bar sounds ace, my friend loves her rum, thanks!!

Looks like we’ll be having lots of stops to get out of the cold wink

AdoraBell Sat 18-Nov-17 22:19:54

No advice, just envy hope you have a fab trip.

Longdistance Sat 18-Nov-17 22:25:43

Try www.palffy.cz/menu/x160-Historie-Palffy-Palace.htm which is lovely for food.

Also, botanicus for natural products.

Hang on, I have more but my memories patchy...

Longdistance Sat 18-Nov-17 22:32:08

The Imperial Cafe has lovely food and drink. It’s known for donut fights 🙄 but they do cracking hot chocolates, with a twist. The buildings across the road from there are amazing. Look up, and there’s quite a lot to see on those buildings on that street alone.

FrankiesKnuckle Sat 18-Nov-17 22:35:01

Thanks again! It’s all noted wink

kikibo Sat 18-Nov-17 22:49:31

Café Slavia across the national theatre (where all the intelligencia hung out to plan the revolution, delish chocolates and great art deco decor) , Bar and Books for a fancy drink and/or sigar, second the cubist café and the shop underneath (LOVE the stuff they have).
Café Louvre where Kafka was a loyal customer, they do do the biggest and most delicious chocolate cake and great beef consommé with a dumpling in the middle.
The Clementinum convent is nice to visit too. You can go up the astronomical tower for a nice view.

kikibo Sat 18-Nov-17 22:56:05

Oh and restaurant Nostalgie for traditional Czech food the proper way.
Oh and not to forget the Parisian Café in Obecní Dům on Namestí Republiki and my husband just said Restaurant Blatnice, also Czech food. Not fancy, but properly cooked (great rabbit with spinach and potatoe dumplings IMO).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now