Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Iceland

(7 Posts)
gemandjule Sat 04-Nov-17 16:48:38

DH and I have been given a present of return flights to Iceland in February. We have 2.5 days there.
I'm very very excited but really want to get the most out of the short time we have. We'll probably hire a car. I'd love ideas on everything from what we need to see, where to stay, where to eat etc from anyone who has been.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 04-Nov-17 18:57:02

Most definitely the Blue Lagoon. Less than an hour from Reykjavik. Very close to the Blue Lagoon is The Bridge Between Continents. It's a 15m foot bridge spanning Europe and North America. After crossing the bridge, you can pick up a personalized certificate from the Reykjanes Information Center verifying that the carrier did indeed walk all the way from Europe to America!

I don't think many people visit Iceland without taking a trip around the Golden Circle. Not only is it conveniently close to Reykjavik, but it has some of the most iconic places in Iceland –Þingvellir National Park, Geysir, and Gullfoss. This route is easily drivable in one day, and definitely should not be missed. 5 hours if you just do these tree, but 8 hours if you stop at other places along the way.

I also recommend that you do a 3hr whale watching trip with Elding. They also do 2hr Northern Light cruises after dark from Reykjavik and it would be a shame not to at least try and see the Northern Lights during your stay.

Jaimx86 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:19:56

The Golden Circle trip is amazing. Also, spend some time just enjoying Reykjavik; it's an enchanting place.

Undies1990 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:20:50

I've just come back from Iceland - do you intend to hire a car? That'll make a big difference to the advice I can give you! I would recommend hiring a car ..... let me know and I can give you some tips!

Garlicansapphire Mon 06-Nov-17 20:30:16

I went to Iceland for a brilliant summer holiday. We went to Reyjavik including whale watching and then hired a car to travel round the golden circle - gullfoss, geysir, black lava beach, and a valley full of sulfataras where we swam in the hot river. We also went up to the ice cap and 'Into the Glacier' ( a tunnel inside the Glacier). But we were there for 10 days. Loved every minute of it!

Undies1990 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:30:53

Sorry, I see you are hiring a car! We used Blue Car Rental, no problems at all and very happy with their costs and customer service. You can jump on the car rental bus to get to their office, but in reality it drives around the corner, it it's quicker to walk!

Anyway, the Blue Lagoon is 20 min drive from the airport so we went straight there after landing. Booking in advance for the Blue Lagoon is essential. Then drive up towards Selfoss and stay somewhere around there. We stayed in Geysir but it was a hell of a drive after the Blue Lagoon!

On your first full day, head to Geysir, Gulfoss and stop at Kerid crater on the way. I would recommend staying around the Geysir area. Then head east, stopping at Thingvellir national park on the way to Reykjavik. A half day in Reykjavik is plenty, the drive to the airport which takes about 45 minutes.

Hope that helps. It's a great place, so fascinating.

Nomad86 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:36:11

Blue Lagoon, Northern Lights (try and see them early on in your trip in case you need to try again), snowmobiling on a glacier, geysers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now