Talk

Advanced search

Where in France can be reached by ferry but also close to an airport?

(19 Posts)
rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 09:40:02

We want to go away with relatives next year. They live in England and we're in Scotland, plus there is more of them so for them its cheaper to take the ferry , but for us its going to be cheaper to fly as we'd need to stop overnight each way if driving, DH has a lease car and cannot put too much mileage on it, and DS gets car sick. As we are in Scotland there doesn't seem to be flights to the smaller airports in Normandy.

So any thoughts about a location that would work- we like countryside and things to see. We would need a big property 5 or 6 bedrooms, but an idea of a location and we can have a look ourselves.

Thanks !

Ifailed Sat 28-Oct-17 09:44:16

here's a list of all flights from UK to France, I cant see anything direct from Scotland that meets your requirements?

about-france.com/fly-to-france.htm

dementedma Sat 28-Oct-17 09:44:30

I feel you pain rookie. We are in Scotland and have friends in Normandy and its a bloody long drive to the ferry. You used to be able to fly to Beauvais from Glasgow but that has stopped. Not sure if you can fly to Rouen..if so, its a lovely city with lots to see and easy to get out into the countryside from there.

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 09:51:40

I dont think all the 2018 flights are released yet so maybe it might exist in the future. We could fly from Newcastle as well - thats only. 2 hr trip for us.

reallybadidea Sat 28-Oct-17 09:54:51

The Vendée is easily driveable either from Calais or St. Malo and you can fly to Nantes or La Rochelle.

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 09:54:55

Mind you Rouen is 2 hrs drive from Paris so we could fly to there.

reallybadidea Sat 28-Oct-17 09:55:35

I haven't checked whether you can fly from Scotland to those airports, sorry.

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 09:59:27

Good suggestion reallybadidea unfortunately we've been to the vendee before and its not our favourite part of France.

AnnaBegins Sat 28-Oct-17 10:13:28

Not sure if you can fly from Scotland but you can ferry to st malo and fly to dinard then get a taxi to st malo. I know Ryanair flys east Midlands to dinard.

NotDavidTennant Sat 28-Oct-17 10:18:16

A bit of a leftfield one, but could you fly to Southampton and then join them on the ferry?

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Sat 28-Oct-17 10:29:03

You can get a train to Normandy from Charles de Gaulle. You get the Metro to Paris then a 2 hour train ride to Caen. Its pretty straightforward. Buy the tickets in advance. Easy jet fly from Glasgow to CDG

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 10:46:28

Some great suggestions. I hadnt thought of getting the train in France but of course the High speed one is quicker than driving.
For southampton we have relatives with a holiday cottage at swanage who want us to visit so perhaps we could combine the two things.

Ancienchateau Sat 28-Oct-17 10:54:30

You fly to Tours (flybe) and the others get the ferry/drive (although it might work out better for them to flybe too). Chateaux and countryside galore in The Loire.

sashh Sat 28-Oct-17 11:12:01

A bit of a leftfield one, but could you fly to Southampton and then join them on the ferry?

I was thinking this, fly to a port. Or fly to Paris and change to another flight or get a train to meet your friends.

Have you considered sleeper train to London, train to port and ferry?

Or sleeper then euro star?

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 11:49:41

Some more suggestions thanks - I feel by the time we get into the realms of doing multiple flights and modes of transport it might be easier to bite the bullet and drive - but flight to southampton definitely in consideration.

I'll check where we can get to Tours from. We had all looked at flying to Geneva initally which is not too expensive, but there are various reasons why they want to drive in preference to flying.

rookiemere Sat 28-Oct-17 20:51:42

After all that looks like we're going to Cornwall instead as we can all travel there relatively easily grin.

sashh Mon 30-Oct-17 08:58:01

Do you know you can fly to Newquay?

Hoppinggreen Mon 30-Oct-17 09:02:21

If you do decide to fly to Geneva and want to hire a car from the airport it's very expensive

rookiemere Mon 30-Oct-17 18:50:00

Hi yes we’re planning to fly from Newquay.

I didn’t know it was expensive to hire from Geneva will check prices as we may do our own trip there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now