Talk

Advanced search

Bilbao, Santander, Pisa, Palma, Malaga, has anyone been?

(15 Posts)
franksidebottom Fri 27-Oct-17 16:21:29

Hi, looking at booking a break next year, my nearest airport is Heathrow so wanting to go somewhere that flys from there direct and no more than 2.5 hrs away. These are some of the places that I am looking at, it will be for me, dp and 3 dds who will be all aged between 3 and 16, so I want there to be lots to do. Has anyone been to these places? TIA.

allegretto Fri 27-Oct-17 16:26:19

Only Pisa. There's the old leaning tower but not much else so I would only consider it as a drop off point to explore Tuscany.

mintich Fri 27-Oct-17 16:29:11

Palma is lovely!

franksidebottom Fri 27-Oct-17 16:45:34

Thanks Allegretto, I shall remove Pisa off my list. Any recommendations for Palma Mintich, places to eat, stay, must sees for kids? Is it easy to get around without a car?

DaisyLand Fri 27-Oct-17 16:50:03

What are you after ? I’m from near bilbao , the best of the Basque Country is the nature with loads of national parks , mountains and amazing cliffs. Also cities , San Sebastián is one of the best places for food
If you’re after some sunny beach holidays then def this is not for you.

Santander is really similar as they are so close. Less mountainous tho.

For getting the best of both I’d recommend a car

mirmc Fri 27-Oct-17 17:04:08

Fly to Pisa see the Tower, then get the train to Florence, an hour I think.

franksidebottom Fri 27-Oct-17 18:24:43

Well we just got back from Lisbon and absolutely loved it, the things the kids enjoyed were the view of the sea, visiting a castle, the oceanarium, cable car ride, playground, open top bus, that sort of thing really, not bothered about a beach

franksidebottom Fri 27-Oct-17 18:27:15

We wouldn't be hiring a car so wherever we go needs to be easy to get around, we found Lisbon easy. I can also go to Madrid, Barcelona, Rome but wondered if there was other hidden gems I don't know of.

LaLaLady2 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:33:06

Malaga is a hidden gem. Most people don't even go to the city, just to the airport and on to the Costa Del Sol. We had a city break there, but we enjoyed the nightlife, tapas bars, wine bars etc. Lots if shops, a cathedral, good fiestas depending on time of year, Easter is brilliant. Not sure about the kids though?

woollyminded Fri 27-Oct-17 18:38:25

Another vote for Palma, it's very nice indeed (not to compare with the others though as I've not been to any of them). Palma is a nice sized city with pretty streets, pavement cafes etc and really easy to go out on day trips from eg the little wooden train to Soller or hire bikes - they have made great flat cycle paths out from the port.

TheFaerieQueene Fri 27-Oct-17 18:49:44

We were in Malaga in September. It is wonderful. Stay near the cathedral and you can walk every where, from a Roman amphitheater to beach bars.

LJdorothy Fri 27-Oct-17 19:39:37

I love Palma and would recommend it but don't cross Pisa off! I had a lovely short break there, taking local trains on day trips to Florence and to Lucca, which is a lovely walled town and well worth a visit.

franksidebottom Fri 27-Oct-17 19:42:48

Is Pisa expensive to eat like Rome? Is the train network easy to get around. So far Palma seems to be the most popular but I'm not going until next October so have lots of time to look at all the options

HelloClouds Sat 28-Oct-17 17:50:53

I love Malaga. Great atmosphere, authentic bars and lovely shops. The old city is lovely to amble round. Lovely tropical gardens down by the sea, overlooked by the Moorish castle. When we are there we always get a taxi to El Tintero restaurant in the old fishing quarter of El Palo. Right on the beach, it's huge fun for kids (ours always insist on going!). They bring out plates of wonderful seafood and you grab it as it goes by. Hard to describe but quite an experience.

franksidebottom Sat 28-Oct-17 18:09:10

I've been looking more at Malaga today, it sounds lovely Hello Clouds, but checked more closely and it doesn't go from heathrow direct which is what i want to do. Palma isn't direct from Heathrow either it involves a stop off. So I'm now thinking Rome or Valetta but concerned Rome will be too expensive to eat out (3 kids, always hungry!) Or that Valetta won't keep them interested. My top choice would have been Madrid or Barcelona but not sure if both these places are volatile at the moment. I know it's a year away yet but I need to save up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: