Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to eat in Venice?

(9 Posts)
Ollycat Mon 23-Oct-17 12:34:15

We’re off to Venice for half term (dh, me and children 12 & 14) and would love some suggestions for good places to eat (lunch and / or supper) - kids pretty open minded about food (one really wants meatballs!!) - not too touristy - does such a place exist in Venice??

Rosa Mon 23-Oct-17 12:39:16

Yes !!!
Tre Tre Archi - Canal side , meat fish pizza pasta , Taverna San Trovaso in dorsoduro.
FOr meat balls vino veras- its a ciccetti place on the Fondamenta Misericordia - very small not a restaurant , they are yummy ! ( If they have them on !. ). Gelato Nico on the Zattere. Please do not buy slies of pizza and eat sitting on bridges as its against the law. Forget anywhere with a tourist menu outside or people trying to get you in. Where are you staying ?

allisbright Mon 23-Oct-17 13:23:45

Avoid anywhere near St Mark's Square. We had a fantastic trip to Venice a few years ago. Half the fun is just wandering about until you find somewhere that appeals. We had lunch one day in the Italian equivalent of a greasy spoon - full of workmen, etc. but serving delicious fresh pizzas and paninis for very little.

I was also pleasantly surprised that most restaurants we dined in would sell Prosecco cheaper than soft drinks! Again, this wouldn't be the case in the tourist traps.

Have a fantastic trip!

Ollycat Mon 23-Oct-17 18:05:14

Thank you for suggestions- really useful.

We are staying more centrally then I’d have liked (dh went off message) in Castello on the Rio Del vin - the apartment looks amazing but I’m worried it’ll be too hectic! Kids v excited about getting water taxi there from airport!!

bananafanana1 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:50:50

If you can get over to the lido- nice break from the Venice rush and reasonably priced restaurants- at villa Laguna (right by the vaparetto stop) you can sit outside and admire the gondolas going by and see the views of Venice- the lido also has a beach if the weather is good.

Hulder Mon 23-Oct-17 21:06:29

There is a great clutch of restaurants all in a short space in Castello.

If you want to push the boat out, Corte Sconta is one of the best meals you will ever eat - plus children might enjoy the black spaghetti. Waitress of limited English decided to explain it to us 'Is spaghetti, and is black' grin It was fabulous. Reservations essential.

However more or less in the same space Al Covo, Osteria AE Spezie, CoVino, Hostaria da Franz are all superb.

They are all not far from your appartment. You are near my favourite church San Zaccaria and also the lovely Carpaccios in the Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni. It's not v busy and the art is much more accessible - George and the Dragon, lions etc - than the more popular Scuolas full of crucifixions and so on.

All proper Venetian food and off the big tourist track around San Marco. Don't eat there at all costs.

Rosa Tue 24-Oct-17 19:17:41

Check Venice Quality Transfers if you want a taxi - Naval Musuem is good if you want something a bit different to see. As is Scala Contarini del Bovolo. Its a good location just head inwards instead of going via St Marks.

Ollycat Tue 24-Oct-17 20:56:21

Thank you thank you - fab restaurant suggestions and places to visit - we’re all very excited and the weather is (hopefully) looking promising!

CaveMum Tue 24-Oct-17 21:00:54

It's been several years since DH and I were in Venice, but we had the most fantastic meal in this restaurant. It still has good reviews on Trip Advisor so worth checking out. It was recommended to us by the owners of the apartment we stayed in and there were a lot of locals eating there which is always a good sign to me.

osteriadisantamarina.com/en/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now