Talk

Advanced search

Get an exclusive 5% off your next Mark Warner holiday - call 0333 305 9795 and quote Mumsnet

Christmas break in Europe

(9 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 22-Oct-17 10:34:17

We want to escape all the trappings of Christmas this year and get away for a few days. Over Christmas Day itself.

I don't want the hassle of flying so want to go somewhere in Europe that we can get to via Eurostar.

Any recommendations please? Dh fancies Bruges. We have been to Paris before but would consider going again.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 22-Oct-17 13:22:48

I'd say Amsterdam. One of the main squares transforms into a Christmas village which has an ice rink and massive market. Some museums are open on. Christmas Day, including the Anne Frank house. Every year there's a spectacular light festival and an ice sculpture festival in the city and I've heard that this year there is going to be the world biggest production of the Swan Lake ballet from 23rd to 27th December at one of the theatres.

"For those who love classic ballet, here is anexceptional proposal, especially for the holidays. RAI Theater in Amsterdam will host the biggest Swan Lake Ballet between December 23rd and 27th. The innovation of this spectacle is that instead of 16 swans, the performance expands to 48 swans, which automatically renders the spectacle unique, taking into account that there has never been a similar performance of such size."

The mains reason I say Amsterdam is because there is more to do for children than Bruges.

Dancergirl Sun 22-Oct-17 13:49:29

That sounds lovely but we have been to Amsterdam a few years ago! We had a great time but don't think we want to go back so soon after.

Our children are older (16, 14 and 10) so don't need specific children's activities.

MarciaBlaine Sun 22-Oct-17 14:12:46

Bruges is lovely, or Lille. http://en.lilletourism.com/marche-de-noel.html

bananafanana1 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:17:50

Paris is lovely over Xmas, on Xmas eve go to the markets where they sell oysters and Christmas meat.

Buy beautiful patisseries for a Christmas treat. Wander around notre damne with the giant Christmas tree. Head up to the bar at the montparnass tower and watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle on the hour.

Snuggle up in cozy cafes with a glass of kir and watch the world go by. Fantastic

Dancergirl Mon 06-Nov-17 15:22:23

Love the idea of Bruges.

Dh is worried though that we won't find anything open on Christmas Day itself. Will we be limited to a huge expensive meal in the hotel??

Loctite Mon 06-Nov-17 17:54:01

Bruges is really magical and would get my vote, though having said that I have never been at Christmas time before. Also check out Ghent if you go to Bruges, you can get the train there and it is another fabulous city. Go to see the Van Eyck Ghent Alterpiece in the church there - so beautiful!

shila40 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:55:49

I found good and cheap recommendations for my holiday on travelicita.com/Best_Destinations/Article

Hope that's helpful....

NeonSun Fri 08-Dec-17 12:40:06

Another one for Amsterdam, sadly that you've been there already because this place is really worth visiting during Christmas (we were there two years ago and it was amazing!). Comparing to other countries many interesting places will be open there, besides they make such a beautiful Christmas village on one of the main squares, you really feel there like in a fairytale smile
From our experience I can recommend Estonia too, Tallin is another nice place for spending Christmas holidays. There are many interesting places to see and visit greentourbaltic.com/tourcats/tallinn/ and like in case of Amsterdam not all of them will be closed during that time. There also will be amazing Christmas market, I really recommend to visit it, also many interesting events and concerts devoted to Christmas too.
Lithuania and Latvia can be good choices too, also France, Paris in this case is one of the most romantic places ever smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: