Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Battlefields trip - from Scotland

(6 Posts)
Makemineacabsauv Sat 21-Oct-17 21:25:16

Have promised dc that I’ll take them, would rather Oct than April but am aware that it will be the centennial year of the armistice so may be very busy/expensive. What’s the cheapest/best way to do it?! Can’t decided between driving and overnight ferry or flying and doing a tour.
Anyone got any tips?

Lidlfix Fri 27-Oct-17 17:41:30

Been taking school parties from Scotland for a few years now - I know that’s different from organising the trip yourself but the centenaries are having a massive impact on numbers and costs. Many of the anniversaries of the April dates are past Anzac Day, Somme etc so I’d opt for April.

We have had to book far earlier in the 14-18 window than in previous times. The hoteliers etc are very worried that post 18 there’ll be a significant dip. So are cashing in. They know that it will be a heartbeat before the road to WW 2 becomes the focus.

I’ll still take my Wee S1s as I love it - overnight coach and all.

Flights to Brussels are a great price and train to Ypres should be straight forward or hire Car at the airport? There are plenty of companies who do say trips to Somme etc if you wanted lifted and laid for Thiepval etc

jocktamsonsbairn Fri 27-Oct-17 18:01:07

Brilliant thanks, I might leave it till 2019 then and hope that it doesn’t get too mad with WW2 anniversary.,

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 27-Oct-17 18:23:04

Are they particularly interested in WW1? I really recommend Normandy, it might be quieter, there are lots of different WW2 locations. There is also the Bayeux tapestry, and Bayeux itself is a nice old town. It can be somewhat intense touring battlefield sites, but there is quite a mix in Normandy, and quiet in October.

If you are driving then consider stopping at Dover castle for a day, go to the tunnels for the WW2 experiences. Get Scottish Heritage membership and after the first year you can visit English Heritage sites for free, otherwise about £50 for a family. You will go through the Somme area on the way to Normandy. Obviously it depends on whether they want to see particular places for family reasons.

Lidlfix Fri 27-Oct-17 19:13:30

Make mine- the tour companies are predicting that 2019 will be very quiet. I think you’ll have a much more moving experience with your DC minus the flute bands, motorcycle tours etc that have been drawn due to the centennial commemorations. Waiting that year means you’ll have the place to yourself give or take some coach parties and school groups. I can’t wait to take my DH and DC.

jocktamsonsbairn Tue 31-Oct-17 21:49:32

Thabks, think I will wait as it does make more sense and I’d rather not go when it’s jam packed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now