Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Algarve October half term 2018 - by the sea??

(14 Posts)
MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Sat 21-Oct-17 13:35:30

Hi all, we just got back from a short break to Majorca and had a great time. It was amazing to be swimming in the sea every day!

I really want to go to Portugal next year in October half term. BUT, I wondered if the sea would be too cold to swim in? I was planning to be by the coast, but there seems no point if we can't get in! Surely I'd be better looking for somewhere with a heated pool?!

I was looking at Alvor or Carvoeiro as resorts.

Thanks!

magentastardust Sun 22-Oct-17 01:00:03

Portugal is on the Atlantic coast and the sea is freezing for swimming in during summer never mind Autumn/Winter. Warm enough for sitting on the beach but reckon it would be pretty chilly swimming in the ocean. What about Southern Spain -Costa Calida always has a lovely warm sea ?

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Sun 22-Oct-17 09:16:04

Thanks, I will take a look!

Fecks Sun 22-Oct-17 15:13:16

Sea is freezing in July, far too cold for me.
In October you would need wetsuits. Also it can be very windy, it's great for surfing and kite surfing.

PurpleAlerts Sun 22-Oct-17 15:20:34

Hi- I am sitting on a beach in the Algarve right now and have just had a lovely swim in the sea. I am here a lot and can confirm that the sea is always warmer in October than in July and August! Something to do with a gulf steam I think!

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Sun 22-Oct-17 15:30:31

Haha! Quite the mixed bag then. I suspect it will depends on the individual then, but definitely an option.

No1HolidayPlanner Sun 22-Oct-17 17:57:09

Alvor is a lovely resort😊

PurpleAlerts Sun 22-Oct-17 21:08:27

We are in Praia da Luz- also lovely!

User36367292 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:52:58

Sea is fine once in. Warmer in oct than earlier in the Summer.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 24-Oct-17 08:20:53

Thanks guys. I don't fancy going as far west as Praia, but I think Alvor looks like it might not be all resorts, resorts, resorts. Even if we only went for 5 days, I think I might have enough of that environment!

Although now I'm wondering about going back to the Med. Was looking at Ibiza but it seems ferociously expensively in comparison!

jamaisjedors Thu 26-Oct-17 18:45:14

I am quite hardy (swim in Ireland) but could not go in the sea either time I visited Portugal (July/August).

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 30-Oct-17 13:21:20

We have just got back from a week at Praia da Luz and it was fantastic. We all swam in the sea every day and it really wasn't cold at all. We are so going back next year! One of the best beach holidays we have ever had!

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Mon 30-Oct-17 13:38:36

Thanks everyone. It's broadly reassured me, although we're now also considering Sardinia - going to see what the flights are like (times/costs) I think.

Slartybartfast Mon 30-Oct-17 13:47:21

we went in the middle of october to Algarve, the waves were fantastic. so just wave jumping basically. the temperature was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now