Talk

Advanced search

Portugal in January help

(15 Posts)
canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 18-Oct-17 18:37:05

We are going to Portugal in January with 2 young dcs. It's a very very quiet time of year for us in business and we like to go away then as it's cheap. I booked very very cheap flights to Faro (hence why we're going there!) but have never been to Portugal before so looking for recommendations.

Well aware this is very out of season, we don't mind! Just looking for a bit of winter sun, and a fun, low key holiday as a family after all the Christmas madness (restaurant trade, so working all hours).

We'd ideally like a 2 or 3 bed villa, in a complex is fine, would prefer a pool, either private or shared. Some other facilities (restaurant/bar/kids play/etc) would be beneficial but not essential at all. Alternative would be either full board or AI hotel with good facilities. We will have a hire car, so travelling not an issue.

Also looking for recommendations of places to go and things to do, where to eat etc.

Thanks all!

Ricekrispie22 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:52:59

Carvoeiro is fantastic out of season and particularly good for families with small children. www.carvoeiro.com/Top%2010%20activities%20for%20kids
It's an just under an hour from Faro airport.
Bellevue Apartments is made up of just 12 properties, so it has a small-scale, secluded feel. You’re a few minutes’ walk from the beach, and you can stroll to Carvoeiro’s fish restaurants, cafés and markets in 5 minutes. Apartments are light and airy. The shared pool is on two levels, with the half moon shaped children's section set above the circular main pool, this is a quiet, private area. The surrounding palm trees provide welcome shade from the sun, as well as privacy from neighbouring buildings.

busyboysmum Fri 20-Oct-17 13:10:57

Oasis Parque is a good development to stsy on out of season as it has a large indoor heated pool.

It's close to Alvor, Lagos, Portimao and Praia da Rocha all worth a visit as is the castle at Silves inland.

We always hire this villa: www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8155222

It's great value and has everything including beach towels provided.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 20-Oct-17 13:33:40

I live in carvoeiro, and although quiet it is the start of the winter let season where we get lots of older couples who stay for 2/3/4 months, so it's not deserted (plus there are all us residentssmile).

It will be too cold to swim in an outdoor pool, even if it's heated you can't guarantee the temperature will be warm enough, it depends on so many factors, so treat it as a bonus if you can

Daytime temps can be in the 20s but drop quickly as the sun goes down, so make sure you have adequate heating in your accommodation (log burner or aircon that can also be heating)

Also make sure you have layers of clothing and start putting them on before about 3 o'clock as once you get cold here it's hard to warm up again

Saying all that, my favourite time here is from now until spring - we can have some really beautiful warm days, and you can park and get into restaurants, all the things that are more difficult in summer!

Happy to answer any questions

LoniceraJaponica Sat 21-Oct-17 16:13:50

At that time of year I would be looking at somewhere with an indoor pool.

magentastardust Sun 22-Oct-17 01:01:42

You are best to look at a gold resort type place with indoor pools, will be too cold for swimming in outdoor pools and sea at that time of year.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 22-Oct-17 10:54:46

Monte santo in carvoeiro has an indoor pool

busyboysmum Sun 22-Oct-17 11:58:20

Costa shouldn't your user name be "galaoplease"?

Wishing I was in Portugal right now. Such a lovely time of year there and so rubbish here.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 22-Oct-17 15:19:25

smile
It's beautiful here today, sitting out having a (late) lunch. We did have some wet and windy days last week but the forecast is prettt settled for this week, around 25 and sunny most days

Costacoffeeplease Sun 22-Oct-17 15:19:53

Pretty settled!!

busyboysmum Sun 22-Oct-17 16:14:09

Ahhh. Lovely. We tried to get last minute flights out for half term but although we could get ones out all the ones coming home were sold out. Possibly because of Monarch.

My dad's ashes are scattered in the grounds of our old villa so we try to.get over at least once a year.

canihaveacoffeeplease Mon 23-Oct-17 08:16:23

Oh lots of replies, thank you all!

Carvoeiro looks and sounds absolutely perfect, and thanks for the tips about indoor pool, temperatures etc. We’re from Scotland so reasonably hardy but not swim outside in January hardy I think!

Wisteria1979 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:22:15

Costacoffee can you recommend some nice restaurants please? smile

Costacoffeeplease Mon 23-Oct-17 10:02:27

Oh yes, depends on what you're looking for but A Vela, Ele Ela (nearly always have to book) Maxime's, Casa Algarvia, Casa de Bife, Jota Lita, A Galé, these are all in the village.

O Farol on Rocha Brava, Bella Vita on Clube Atlantico are a short drive from the village and a bit more expensive but worth it

Onze gets good reviews but I haven't been yet

The best ice cream is at Gelados e companhia which has entrances from the in and the out road - there are huge queues here in summer!

Wisteria1979 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:05:11

That’s great thank you!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: