Talk

Advanced search

Have I made right choice - Oslo

(18 Posts)
SteamingPistons Tue 17-Oct-17 17:21:01

Don't know why but I keep getting this feeling of regret for booking a 4 night break in Oslo in January for partners 30th. I think it could be because I am nervous I have made a poor choice and he won't like it. I have sledding/tobogannig, ice skating and sight seeing & museums planned, plus trip to mountains for dog sledding planned. Please tell me Oslo isn't a bad idea

RagamuffinCat Tue 17-Oct-17 17:23:32

Oslo is beautiful - definitely one of my favourite cities. It sounds like you have some amazing things planned for your trip, and won't regret going. Have a fantastic time!

barnet Tue 17-Oct-17 17:28:18

I live in Oslo, it's great when there's snow, which there will be in Jan.

AgentProvocateur Tue 17-Oct-17 17:30:05

We went in October one year before the snow, and even then it was beautiful (but very expensive. Twice as much as you imagine in your worst-case-scenario calculations)

NorthernLurker Tue 17-Oct-17 17:31:13

That sounds wonderful and memorable. Good choice!

Somersetter Tue 17-Oct-17 17:34:18

That sounds amazing - what a fantastic and original trip!

AlternativeTentacle Tue 17-Oct-17 17:35:40

Oslo is fantastic. If he doesn't like it then you should reconsider the relationship smile

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 17-Oct-17 17:37:23

Oslo is great. Go to the ski museum, it was fantastic and the train ride up there was lovely. Take snacks- it's expensive but worth it.

Ideserveaholiday Tue 17-Oct-17 17:41:54

Also the sculpture park is worth a visit.

exWifebeginsat40 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:53:32

Oslo is very expensive - around a tenner for a beer in a bar so you may want to factor this in!

oh, and take the train from the airport (Gardemoen) to the city centre. fast, cheap and no panicking about taxi meters.

i used to work with a lot of Norskis - they can seem a bit standoffish but that’s because they don’t really do small talk. really lovely people though and a beautiful city. enjoy!

Hillingdon Tue 17-Oct-17 17:54:40

Sorry, it wouldn't be my choice. Like a bit of sun

SteamingPistons Tue 17-Oct-17 18:23:51

Costs do freak me out but when I think logically it should be ok as we get breakfast included in hotel. we're not big lunch eaters on holiday so it's probably be coffee and cake in a cafe. I think I will pack snacks in suitcase lol. So it's just dinner and drinks really, although I know that will be mega bucks! I have anticipated taking £400 and then using credit card if we go over. Ice skating skate hire is no more than £20 altogether and I think sledding will be about £40. I will pay for transport online in advance. Excursion, flights, hotel, breakfast and one dinner (as part of excursion) already paid for.

CazY777 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:26:37

Oslo is beautiful in the winter, but be prepared for it to be very cold. I once went on the boat trip on the fjord in December and I've never been so cold. I'm going again in February (but not on that boat trip in the winter ever again!).

CazY777 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:29:08

And buy a bottle or two duty free at the airport.

sakura06 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:42:25

Just echoing what everyone else has said: Oslo is lovely, but the most expensive place I have ever been. Eye-wateringly expensive. The Fram and Viking Ship museums are 2 of the best museums I’ve been to as well though.

CottonSock Wed 18-Oct-17 08:59:07

I got used to the prices, you just are best accepting it and not making the currency conversion to be honest. It's only 4 days. I went in summer but thought it was a great city.

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:21:28

just reiterating that the train from the airport into the city is the best way to transfer - i don’t know if you can prebook but you can get an idea of the cost.

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:23:17

www.visitoslo.com/en/transport/transport-airport/oslo-gardermoen/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now