Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland Paris

(26 Posts)
crazycrofter Wed 11-Oct-17 21:22:05

We're in France at half term and the children (age 11 and 13) want to do Disneyland. Unfortunately we can only afford one day there.

We think we should do the main park not Studios. I appreciate we'll never get round it all but does anyone have any tips for which rides we should focus on?

Also, are there fireworks every day?

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 11-Oct-17 21:26:34

The best rides for teens are in the studios but the magic is in the other park. Can you not try a half day in each? The magic kingdom could be fine if you are not standing in queues and only do a few rides.
Can't say about fireworks as not been for years.

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 11-Oct-17 21:30:07

Best rides in the park are runaway train in frontier land and the ghost train also frontier land i think

Space mountain is over rated and hurt my neck.
I love it's a small world for magic.
Avoid all rides in fantasy land huge queues for a 30 sec ride plus is for little kids.
I did enjoy the star wars ride

In the studios hotel ride is awesome and the rock and roll rollar is also excellent.

Dailystuck71 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:17:45

You have to do Buzz Light Year. It's such good fun. Work out what rides and things you want to see in both parks and see if you can manage both.

Look at fast pass options. Plan, plan and plan some more. A good time to get on some popular rides is when parades are on. Finish the day with the fireworks.

You can download maps from the dibb website. Work out your must do rides. In the studios we love ratatouille and also like to met Spider-Man. A couple of the shows are very good too but DS is younger than yours. Once those things were done we'd go to the main park as coasters aren't our thing. There are lots of videos on YouTube so you can see rides/what to expect.

TittyGolightly Thu 12-Oct-17 07:20:23

The light show and fireworks are every day at park closing time. You really need to get a spot at least an hour before that to get a good view during off peak times, so not sure about peak times like half term.

You will be allowed into the park at 9:30am but won't be able to ride anything until 10am. Dlpguide.com has loads of helpful info about rides.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 08:22:53

Use fast passes.
Best rides for your kids are rock n roll roller-coaster (studios) tower of terror, (studios) runaway train(magic kingdom), space mountain (magic kingdom).
Agree you must do buzz lightyear ride (magic kingdom), see a parade and see the fireworks.
If you manage all that you're doing well

crazycrofter Thu 12-Oct-17 10:12:22

Thanks! So do you think we need to do both parks in one day? We weren't planning to - we thought it would be too rushed.

Bonelessbanquet Thu 12-Oct-17 10:15:33

My 8yo prefers studios due to tower of terror etc, get them to have a look at all the rides and pick their must do's and make the plan. I'd go to studios first thing, then to magic kingdom for the good rides there and the fire works. Have fun!

KitKat1985 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:24:50

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I wouldn't do both parks in one day. I'd personally just do magic kingdom as that's the 'signature' park, and look online at what rides you want to prioritise doing on the day. I think you would end up missing loads at each park if you tried to do both parks on one day.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 11:31:36

Kit kat has a good point its a lot to fit in one day. The magic is in the magic kingdom but the best rides are in studio it's a tricky decision

2tired2bewitty Thu 12-Oct-17 11:45:08

Download the app, it shows the real time wait times for each ride which is helpful for planning on the move.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 11:45:54

Yes planning is key as queue times can be 70 minutes for tower of terror etc

crazycrofter Thu 12-Oct-17 11:46:49

I suppose at the moment they don't really know what rides there are - they've never been to a major theme park so I don't think their ride expectations will be high. I think I'd rather not show them both parks and let them see what they're missing as dd is already a bit disappointed we can only go for one day. If I plan a day based around the big rides at magic kingdom would we fit them in? Is it best to get fast track passes?

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:10

There are 4 lands in magic kingdom you still won't do all the rides. If we do 5-7 rides in a day we're happy. Some rides like small world have no queues. Yes definitely use the fast pass system. Read up on it and download the app. You can only get one fast pass at a time.

TittyGolightly Thu 12-Oct-17 11:55:28

We've gone 4 times for 5 days each time and there are still things we haven't done!

Madeyemoodysmum Thu 12-Oct-17 18:24:19

From what you've said about your kids not been to big theme park I'd say your safe to stick to magic kingdom then.
Mine are theme park experts and would not be content with that but in your case they should have plenty of fun.

LeavesinAutumn Mon 16-Oct-17 17:25:10

When people say the magic is in magic kingdom what do the mean? I have never done Disney what makes it magical!

TittyGolightly Mon 16-Oct-17 17:31:34

The castle?

chiocesarenevereasygirlsworld Mon 16-Oct-17 19:24:27

Most of the characters are in the magic kingdom.
The parades are there.
The theming is much more detailed. Castles fantasy land etc.

In the studios it's mainly massive warehouses. Ok it's decorated but not the same at all. The rides in the studios are much better though. The also only have a small parade and no way near as good or magical.

LeavesinAutumn Tue 17-Oct-17 14:35:42

Really only the castle? Can't be surely?

KitKat1985 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:13:55

Well, the Magic Kingdom is very much based around children's fantasies, and decorated accordingly. So you have most of the characters there, and the rides around 'magical' Disney films like Peter Pan etc, and the castle, not to mention the fireworks and the parades. As a adult or teen you can probably see through it a bit, but if you just embrace your inner child it still has that Disney magic.

I think the Studios are aimed at a slightly older audience. They're fun, but I don't think they quite have the charm that Magic Kingdom does.

SpeckleDust Tue 17-Oct-17 15:30:02

We went for 2.5 days in the summer holidays with DDs ages 9 and 11 and managed a lot of the rides in both parks but involved a lot of walking and queuing (it was VERY busy).

Depends what your children are into, but we were fairly focused on rides as neither of my DDs were interested in the parades or meeting Disney characters. Younger DD doesn't like scary rides but loved Big Thunder Mountain (definitely worth getting a fast pass for).

As previous posters have said, I think the Studios have better rides but if you only have one day, it might be easier to just do the Disney side and make the most of all it has to offer (plus the Studios close at 6pm).

TheSconeOfStone Tue 17-Oct-17 16:44:35

My two weren't fussed about parades and characters much. The 5 year old preferred the original park and the 8 year old the Studios.

The magic kingdom does have the light show at the end which was great. We were there in Summer half yet and it was really quiet. October half term is really busy from what I have heard so you will need to plan. DH and older DD had a fab time exploring Adventure Ilse (while I took younger child to the Frozen sing a long show, lucky me). That may be a good place to escape the queues for a bit.

chantilly70 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:05:12

Unless your kids are thrill seekers I'd spend all the time in the main park. There is plenty to do there and it is much more visually appealing than the studios. I'd recommend the restaurant next to the pirates of the carribean ride for lunch...if you go on the later side..eg. 3pm you should get a table.. Annettes Diner our favourite place for supper.

Floralnomad Tue 17-Oct-17 22:15:43

It will be heaving be warned . Have a look at the photos online from last Sunday to give you an idea of what queues to expect . Magic Kingdom is what you need if you want fireworks and parades although I agree with pp that some of the best rides are in the Studios . However the studios normally close earlier and don't have a firework end of the day show . In the Magic Kingdom I'd aim for The runaway Minetrain , Pirates of the Caribbean , Soace Mountain , Buzz and Star Wars . If it is busy the fast passes will go early particularly Peter Pan as Fantasy land closes early for the fireworks to be set up . Do any of you have a disability so you qualify for an access pass , if so sort your documentation out before you go , get the pass from City Hall and you will get all the rides done by 2 pm and you can have a leisurely afternoon doing the parades / or do both parks . Enjoy its great .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now