Talk

Advanced search

Tell me more about Algarve Portugal

(37 Posts)
Notonaschoolnight Sat 07-Oct-17 09:08:31

We're generally city break people but every few years I get sick of the research that I put myself through planning one so I try a cheap beach holiday. The date I need to fly leaves me with just a flight to Faro we're in our early 40's and will have our 15dd and 13dd with us.

I want to be able to avoid tacky, 18-30 type areas, I want to be drinking wine in a lovely beach front seafood restaurant, but I don't want too quiet and only want to be an hour ish transfer

My mums the Judith Chalmers of package holidays and said Albuifera old town would work but also mentioned Vilamoura but then thought maybe that's too golf orientated and dd's might be bored

I'm hoping you lovely lot will have some thoughts and suggestions, thanks in advance

Tentomidnight Sat 07-Oct-17 09:21:37

Both the towns you mentioned are very touristy. Head as far west as you can for a quieter experience.. Sagres maybe?

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Sat 07-Oct-17 09:41:53

Vilamoura is teeny tiny. Just a marina really. Not ideal for a whole holiday. We've been going to the Algarve, a non touristy bit, in the mountains, for around 10 years. It is just starting to get a bit of tourism but has avoided it thus far due to distance from the sea (doesn't bother us, we have a house with a pool and hate beaches).

Faro is surprisingly nice for a visit, too. Pretty walled old town, cobbled streets, marina, shops, bars and street cafes. Worth a look.

In my opinion, to get the best from the area, you should hire a car. Uber is in lots of areas now which makes evenings out really easy. Our most expensive journey was €4 for about a 20min journey.

Notonaschoolnight Sat 07-Oct-17 11:38:15

Thank you both will look at Sagres and Faro now and will bear the Uber in mind

Ricekrispie22 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:44:54

Have a look at this..http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/portugal/algarve/articles/Caneiros-Algarve-Portugal-Secret-Seaside/

NinjaPosse Sat 07-Oct-17 13:02:10

Carvoeiro is lovely. If you search on here for it you'll find a few threads. A MNer lives there and has posted a lot of very useful information.

Whitegrenache Sat 07-Oct-17 13:04:47

Olhos du agua is nice. Lovely restaurants
By the sea and quite small and quiet

PissedOffNeighbour Sat 07-Oct-17 13:05:31

Tavira is really lovely and quite close to Faro. Proper Portuguese old town with beautiful beach a boat ride away.

PeasAndHarmony Sat 07-Oct-17 13:09:47

Agree that carvoeiro is lovely out of season (I liked it and I hate touristy places). We had a car and went to some fab beaches and restaurants. I also liked savers but it was quite windy when we were there at Easter.

ivykaty44 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:18:16

I like Cabanas & Travera.

Lagos is a larger town and port, with a fantastical ling beach - but more than an hour ( though not as far as Sagres) more going on here and if you can get an apartment on the Meia Priea side close enough to walk over the footbridge into town.

Incidentally there is a train station this side that runs into faro

misscph1973 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:40:12

All of the Algarve is quite touristy, but still very lovely. I have been several times, and it's definitely nicest to go off season as it quieter. I like Carvoeiro and Ferraguda is lovely too. It's nice to explore by car, driving is easy.

busyboysmum Sat 07-Oct-17 13:43:24

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g642199-d596191-Reviews-Prainha_Clube-Alvor_Portimao_Faro_District_Algarve.html

We love it here. It's right on the beach at Alvor. The beach is the most beautiful beach I've ever been on. In the evening you can walk down into Alvor which takes about 15 minutes and is a lovely little seaside fishing village fairly unspoilt still.

busyboysmum Sat 07-Oct-17 13:50:09

We do however book Direct through HomeAway as you can get a nice little self-catering apartment then.

www.homeaway.co.uk/p8004119?utm_campaign=HAUK_TRV_INQ_HASC_replyBlank_PPS&utm_content=propid_text_o_lprop&utm_term=20171005&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email&haExternalSourceId=edb99e5f-baee-4b54-bf0d-94a99fdc22df+21675ad7-0818-4dca-99c5-448f471a5f0d-hasc

And Google Canico for the most beautiful little beach bar built into the cliffs you've ever seen.

www.canicorestaurante.com/en/canico-restaurant-bar/

Notonaschoolnight Sat 07-Oct-17 16:12:38

Have to admit I gave up on Algarve a couple of hours ago after looking at Albufiera on YouTube no no no, too much going on for me I looked at Faro but rooms are very expensive, so I started looking at Berlin the only other place I can fly from our local airport on the same day

But I've just looked at Alvor on YouTube and I was quite taken with it so now I'm properly confused!!

ivykaty44 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:04:30

I went to alberfiera some 30 years ago and thought it was awful and have never returned

But have often stayed in cabanas and near Lagos in beautiful places

Not been to Berlin so can’t comment - Rome won this year 😋

Notonaschoolnight Sat 07-Oct-17 17:12:14

Snap it's was Rome/Florence and NY for me last year, haven't been away this year yet, but Amsterdam and NY are booked so now thinking about next year

busyboysmum Sat 07-Oct-17 17:13:52

Lagos is also lovely. Albufeira is not for us but we have been going to Alvor for over 30 years now.

I've no idea about Berlin I'm afraid.

Notonaschoolnight Sat 07-Oct-17 17:22:46

Is see that Lagos isn't far from Alvor so I could check that out too, yes I'm definitely thinking Alvor for Whit week and Berlin in the six weeks

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sat 07-Oct-17 17:23:32

When are you planning on going? Alvor is lovely in low season, but might be too busy in the summer. We went with similar aged teens and they liked the area too.

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sat 07-Oct-17 17:25:17

Just read your last post...whit week!

ineedaholidaynow Sat 07-Oct-17 19:27:34

We have been to Carvoiero based on recommendations on MN. Loved it, as did DH and DS(11).

There are many different restaurants to choose from. Also if you are there in the summer season there is entertainment in the square by the beach every night.

There are some lovely beaches around and other small towns to visit.

I wouldn't recommend Albuifera.

Hoppinggreen Sat 07-Oct-17 22:35:57

How about hopping over the boarder to Ayamonte/Isla Canela in Spain?
Only 40 minutes from Faro airport, it's lovely and much less touristy than The Algarve.

Notonaschoolnight Mon 09-Oct-17 07:51:36

Alvor all booked thanks for your help everyone

Costacoffeeplease Mon 09-Oct-17 08:21:11

I'm the mnetter who lives in carvoeiro, only just seen this now, or I would have given some recommendations earlier!

CamperVamp Mon 09-Oct-17 09:28:54

Tavira is lovely.

I shudder at touristy but actually enjoyed staying in Albufeira Old Town.

Lagos?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now