Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about driving from UK to Europe with 9yo & DH

(13 Posts)
StillTryingHard Fri 06-Oct-17 18:46:18

We've never taken the car to Europe and up for anything - but am not unearthing many ideas on google, so thought I'd turn to my trusty MN crew for half term ideas.

Where would you drive to, which route would you take? Intend to use booking.com to find last minute places to stay, as figure too cold to camp.

allegretto Fri 06-Oct-17 18:51:28

Erm Europe is a really big place! Could you be more specific?

StillTryingHard Fri 06-Oct-17 18:57:54

haha blush - this is how rubbish I am allegretto and probably why I can't find any useful info....

Okay - Well I've been looking at France -obviously, getting the euroshuttle to Calais. Don't really fancy south of france. And would ideally love a city. Berlin, Amsterdam, Germany and Holland generally appeal. As do Nordic countries.

Small countries really appeal too - always thought it would be fun to tick them all off the list. By that I mean Monaco etc.

I just find it overwhelming...DH and I are already arguing about it... especially as he's just realised his passport has expired and is grumpily making a passport speedy appointment.

StillTryingHard Fri 06-Oct-17 18:59:07

Am also realising this sounds like an ad for b.com and wish I hadn't included that link now!

FunnyBird Fri 06-Oct-17 19:02:25

We often drive to Germany. Stop somewhere like Bruges or Ghent or Reims, Trier, if you don't want to drive too far in one go.

We visit Freiburg, Stuttgart, Heidelberg, Wurzburg, Munich in the south. And Cologne, Koblenz, Munster further north. Maybe Aachen on the way home.
Berlin is obviously worth a trip, but a lot further. Have not driven that far.

poorbuthappy Fri 06-Oct-17 21:21:36

We drive to France every year. Can’t afford to fly!!
Have done South middle and north!
Doing centre parcs Belgium next Easter and south of France next August

Do your research. It’s easy. grin

notacooldad Fri 06-Oct-17 23:50:39

I prefer to fly out partner prefers to drive. I let them crack on with it.
We drove to France (Brittany) every year for 12 years when the kids were young.
We've also driven to a few ski resorts and to Chamonix a few times.
We've driven to Belgium a couple of times as well.
This was with two kids from the age of 3 and 6 until a couple of years ago aged 14 and 17.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:46:55

Calais to Amsterdam is an easy drive of 3.5 hours non-stop. However, with a child I would break this with an overnight stay at Efteling which is a superb family theme park just over the Dutch border.

noramum Sun 08-Oct-17 11:30:35

When we drive to our parents in Germany we stop normally in Belgium (Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp for my mum) or just after the border to Germany when we drive to PIL.

If you want a city break I wouldn't use the car or drive, stay outside and take public transport into the city. Berlin is murderous if you don't know how to navigate it, similar to all larger cities. My PIL live in Hamburg and we never take the car, they live roughly an hour south from the city center and then take public transport.

I still remember a drive to Amsterdam nearly caused my parents not to speak to each other for 2 days thanks to a disastrous attempt to find car parking.

DD was just 10 this Summer and she was ok with ipod for storytapes and 2 DVDs but we were all glad that the drive was over as bad weather meant it took longer and despite decent breaks there is only so much you can endure.

For just one week I would choose one location and stay and make trips around. You waste too much time driving otherwise.

Headfullofdreams Fri 20-Oct-17 11:17:15

What do you like doing?

We did a Europe road trip this summer. Was great. We drove all the way to Italy, a lot of driving but we had a great time. Depends how much time you have. If you are short of time then stick to Northern Europe.
Holland is great, esp if you like cycling. Duinrell is a great place to stay for a few days.

TheSconeOfStone Fri 20-Oct-17 15:40:49

We have driven to Brittany, near Paris, Belgium and The Netherlands.

Very successful holiday this year with 3 nights near Antwerp then 8 nights at Duinrell near The Hague. Had a great day at Efteling them
Park. Will definitely do Efteling/Duinrell again.

HarrogateMum Thu 26-Oct-17 17:20:52

Don't forget a tag for the French toll roads they're great. Www.saneftolling.co.uk

StillTryingHard Mon 30-Oct-17 09:20:40

Just wanted to come back & thank
Everyone for the helpful advice. We followed it (the advice!) & drove to Amsterdam area, stopping one night in Ghent in a quirky hostel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now