Talk

Advanced search

Driven from Calais to Costa Brava?

(8 Posts)
MiniCooperLover Thu 05-Oct-17 07:50:36

Our plan is to stop on the way down after about 8 hours drive but I’m not sure where to stop? I’m aiming for a hotel near the A75 so we don’t deviate off our route but where? We just want somewhere for sleep, no need for anything fancy. DH suggested doing it in one go but I just don’t see how that’s good for us, worried about his being tired while driving. Any suggestions welcome

MiniCooperLover Thu 05-Oct-17 07:58:09

Apologies the title should say Driving, not driven ..

wifeyhun Thu 05-Oct-17 08:33:22

I would stay in the Clemont Ferrand area. Gerzat, Issoire or even Millau would be a possibility and it is a lovely town to spend the evening. Have done this route lots.

There is a B&B hotel just off the motorway at Gerzat. Would also recommend Ace hotel Issoire it is right near the motorway and has a big supermarket next to it.

MiniCooperLover Thu 05-Oct-17 08:54:40

Thank you, that’s really helpful. Where did you stay on the way home?

wifeyhun Thu 05-Oct-17 09:16:26

What route are you planning to use?

We always usually avoid Paris, so if driving down from Calais, we do Rouen, Evreux down to Chartres thus completely avoiding Paris. So on the way back a stop in Bourges which is nice little town or Orleans, then we can head back up to Chartres on to Evreux.

fussychica Thu 05-Oct-17 20:06:17

We drive down from Caen to Andalucia and always make our first stop at the Ace hotel just outside Poitiers. Clean, brilliant value and a supermarket and restaurant across the road. If you want beauty rather than functional you could stop in Rocamadour exactly 8 hours from Calais apparently. Have dinner at the Belvedere overlooking the town.

If we aren't making a scenic tour we might stop in Pamplona or Olite, just over the Spanish border as our second stop which leaves a doable final drive for us but not necessary for you.

poorbuthappy Fri 06-Oct-17 21:24:33

You can google specifically hotels near the main motorways in France. I found this after an horrendous search for our hotel 1 year which I thought was 5 mins off motorway and wasn’t.

poorbuthappy Fri 06-Oct-17 21:25:03

Oh and we usually do 8/4 hour day split for the south of France.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now