Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a European lake holiday

(30 Posts)
WisestIsShe Tue 03-Oct-17 13:48:05

DH, DD(11) and I are interested in a mountain/lake holiday in August next year. We usually self catering in France or similar but fancy a bit of a change next time.
Where have you been that you'd recommend?

Ricekrispie22 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:03:05

Landal Greenparks are very similar to Centre Parce, but cheaper, more spacious and relaxed. They have several parks dotted over the Alps, but I would recommend Landal Katschberg in the Carinthia area of Austria where you have warm lakes in a pleasant mountainous setting. Highlights at the park include pony trekking, a summer toboggan run and an indoor pool. There is lots to do in the area if you want to leave camp, including one of the longest water slides on the banks of a local lake. The name escapes me at the moment but I'll look it up.
www.landal.com/parks/katschberg/in-and-around-the-park

WisestIsShe Tue 03-Oct-17 19:55:21

That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for Ricekrispie22. Thank you! flowers
I'm going to have a good look through the website now.

irregularegular Tue 03-Oct-17 20:01:01

Slovenia! Specifically Lake Bled and Bohinj if you want lakes with your mountains, but I'd recommend travelling about a bit. It's a beautiful, friendly, little country.

Sallylondon Tue 03-Oct-17 20:10:36

I came on to say Slovenia too. Lake Bled is just beautiful and surprisingly warm to swim in (thermal springs). Ljubljana is about 1hr away and a dinky and very walkable capital city. Really recommend. Much cheaper than Austria too. Accommodation in Bled is limited so you’ll need to book in good time if you want to travel there in August.

NotPennysBoat Tue 03-Oct-17 20:41:23

Sorry to hijack, but can you tell me a bit more about Lake Bled? Is there a good town to base yourselves? Presume rent a car?

LoniceraJaponica Tue 03-Oct-17 20:49:57

Lake Garda:

Stunningly beautiful
Great food
Loads to see and do
Fab weather

Wolfiefan Tue 03-Oct-17 20:51:02

YY to Lake Garda

Laquila Tue 03-Oct-17 20:54:32

Garda and Como are beautiful but the lesser-known Italian lakes, Idro and Iseo, are also lovely. We stayed at a gorgeous campsite on Idro a few years back, which was quiet even in August.

OlafLovesAnna Tue 03-Oct-17 21:00:01

Lake Constance- we went this summer to Lindau and stayed with 3 kids in the Youth Hostel there.

LIZS Tue 03-Oct-17 21:01:33

Annecy or Lake Garda

Sallylondon Wed 04-Oct-17 11:14:28

notpennysboat there is only the one town at Bled, Bled itself. The lake is only around a mile long and the town is at one end with the main beach at the other end. There is some accommodation in small villages around it, but the majority is in Bled town itself. I’ve visited without a car, but it would slightly limit what you can see in the area. Parking is not easy; it’s a small resort and can get a bit choked up - you have to be prepared to walk a bit. The scenery is absolutely stunning though...

iseenodust Wed 04-Oct-17 11:20:02

Zell am See Beautiful little town with lots of activities on the water on the mountains.

CrabappleCake Wed 04-Oct-17 11:20:09

I came on to recommend Lake Bled and and Bohinj (pronouned Bocken). Both are beautiful. We were there in August last year and it was busy and Lake Bled. Preferred Bohinj - there's great hiking, swimming, boat tours, biking, pizza places - not a lot to do at night - but a limited choice of restaurants and bars.

Lake Bled has a bit more going for it in terms of stuff like some play stuff on the Lake - it's gorgeous though and thermally heated so nice to swim in.

The country is really small - most things are only about 90 minutes to 2 hours drive away so you can hire a car and look round caves and castles and stuff.

Really loved it as a destination.

GemmaB78 Wed 04-Oct-17 11:32:37

Yet another vote for Slovenia and Lake Bledlow. Utterly glorious!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 04-Oct-17 11:35:16

Some useful recommendations and thanks for
Bohinj (pronouned Bocken)
Often wondered!

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 04-Oct-17 11:36:44

It's not pronounced like that.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/forvo.com/word/sl/bohinj/amp

MargoLovebutter Wed 04-Oct-17 11:38:17

Lac du Chalain in France. 2 hours north of Geneva. Beautiful lake with a campsite at either end of it. You can camp in a tiny tent, or stay in a log cabin or pretty much anything in between.

Hillingdon Wed 04-Oct-17 11:38:53

Italian Lakes without a doubt. The pictures don't do it justice and not baking hot during the summer holidays although they will have their moments.

CrabappleCake Wed 04-Oct-17 11:44:36

OK - it's not quite Bocken - fair dos.

But it's also not 'Bo Hinge' which is how I was mystifying the locals...

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 04-Oct-17 12:04:42

Bo hinge 😂

It's a very easy to pronounce language. Much simpler than English. You just need to know your letters. 'Nj' is one letter NYUH.

noramum Wed 04-Oct-17 13:53:46

Lake Constanz in Southern Germany. Lots to do in the area.

Obviously weather is less stable than Italy or Slovenia but it is one of the sunniest areas in Germany.

allegretto Wed 04-Oct-17 13:55:53

Another vote for Lake Konstanz. So much to do.

WisestIsShe Wed 04-Oct-17 20:17:24

Lots of great ideas here, thank you. I'm finding that I look at one, thing ooh that's it and then when I check out the next suggestion, thinking it again!

Increasinglymiddleaged Thu 05-Oct-17 05:52:45

Austria is massively underrated as a summer destination. Anywhere in the Tirol is my advice. The chairlifts/ cable cars make the mountains very accessible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now