Talk

Advanced search

End of Monarch

(46 Posts)
PetalMettle Mon 02-Oct-17 04:53:16

Sad to see this. I really liked them. flowers to any MN’ers who work for them and best of luck to anyone with booked travel

PetalMettle Mon 02-Oct-17 04:56:31

Here’s the page for anyone with future bookings monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

CamperVamp Mon 02-Oct-17 05:15:35

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

Oh dear sad

Lots of families will be affected for half term, I imagine.

AuntieStella Mon 02-Oct-17 06:17:13

There's been a thread running in chat since yesterday.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3048529-collapse-of-an-airline

I'll link this one to it, as well.

PetalMettle Mon 02-Oct-17 06:25:28

Ah sorry couldn’t see one. Should’ve searched but my sleep deprived mind didn’t think of it!

HalleLouja Mon 02-Oct-17 06:36:38

We were supposed to be flying at half term. I put it on my credit card so should be ok that claim back. Feel sad for Monarch though.

PetalMettle Mon 02-Oct-17 06:41:52

Hope you can get new flights

AuntieStella Mon 02-Oct-17 06:44:17

The thread in 'chat' will go pfft idc. Not a bad idea at all to have one in the topic too.

The Monarch group had about 2750 staff, according to the Beeb and, even though they must have known all this was in the cards, it's particularly bad news for them to wake up to.

PetalMettle Mon 02-Oct-17 06:46:21

I think it’s been mooted a few times over the years - most recently before Xmas last year. I thought then they’d got some huge investment and would be ok but clearly not.

Timefor2 Mon 02-Oct-17 06:51:29

Sad news. I liked Monarch, always had great experiences with them - particularly when traveling with little children.

AliceBanned Mon 02-Oct-17 06:51:37

Flown a fair few times with Monarch - always reasonable - always reliable - lovely staff. Very sad to see it go. sad

HalleLouja Mon 02-Oct-17 07:06:01

We are probably staying over here now as we were staying with family so hadn't booked accommodation and other flights are ££££.

AuntieStella Mon 02-Oct-17 07:09:40

Check the CAS website Halle - the repatriation flights appear to be for all passengers

The rescue for those abroad appear to be a separate operation (govt backed?) to the arrangements for those yet to travel. You should get a flight on the same day as you planned to travel back if you can use that scheme.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 02-Oct-17 07:11:02

Money is guaranteed to be refunded if:

You've booked with Monarch as part of a package holiday OR
You've paid on your credit card OR
You paid some other way and have travel insurance to cover this.

If you've paid on a debit card and have no travel insurance, you might struggle.

AuntieStella Mon 02-Oct-17 07:11:36

monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-am-currently-abroad/

It says repatriation for all customers abroad who are due to fly back to UK on or before 15 October (whether ATOL protected or not)

ClumsyFool Mon 02-Oct-17 07:45:34

We're on holiday currently and due to fly back home this week so awaiting the info to go up about our flights. Not all of today's flights have been updated yet though so it will understandably be a while yet before we know about ours. Feel awful for all those employed by Monarch, horrible situation.

DropZoneOne Mon 02-Oct-17 07:49:29

Sad news, I hoped they'd get bailed out again or parts of it bought out - guess it was just too expensive to rescue.

Opens the door for Jet2 to move into the Gatwick slots, they added Stansted this year and are growing rapidly.

Feel for the employees waking up to the news their jobs (and pensions) have gone. Many will have worked there for years and years.

KosmoKramer Mon 02-Oct-17 07:51:53

You will get your money back if you paid with a debit card. It's called the Visa Chargeback scheme. I got every penny back when Low Cost Holidays went bust.

DropZoneOne Mon 02-Oct-17 07:52:34

Clumsy hold tight - CAA are organising repatriation flights but it's a huge operation.

Unexpectedbaby Mon 02-Oct-17 08:28:17

Due to be flying this week sad

Booked with debit card so called the bank this morning and they require direct communication to the customer from monarch informing of liquidation and that I should speak to the bank.

No communications as of yet. God knows if it will happen

CamperVamp Mon 02-Oct-17 08:38:56

Unexpected: did you just book flights, direct with Monarch?

Unexpectedbaby Mon 02-Oct-17 08:48:09

@CamperVamp yeah unfortunately so

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 02-Oct-17 09:19:19

Unexpected check your travel insurance and look at alternative flights quickly. Also look on the CAA and Moneysavingexpert websites for advice.

We were booked to fly with Monarch on Thursday this week and on hearing the news this morning, I booked alternative flights with another airline from the same airport on the same day, but these are quickly selling out sad.

Our travel insurance covers scheduled airline failure, so between that and the credit card, we should get something back but not sure if we will get everything back as new flights obviously £££s more than old ones. We have to change the times of our car hire, UK car parking and cat sitter, but fortunately can still go on Thursday as planned.

goldensyrupisshit Mon 02-Oct-17 09:26:16

Such sad news for all employees and those who have lost their holidays. I am currently trying to find out repartition info as I have family whom are due to fly home on Wednesday but the info is very limited. I’ve told them to try and enjoy the rest of their holiday and I will update them with the info when it comes through.

tickingthebox Mon 02-Oct-17 09:57:54

I'm finding it slightly bizarre looking at twitter where people are complaining that Monarch "aren't giving them any information" - they have gone bust FGS, they aren't there anymore to give information out confused. The government are repatriating everybody who is out of the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now