Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

suggestions please, looking for . . .

(17 Posts)
imsorryiasked Sun 01-Oct-17 08:43:44

. . . A holiday for next year, preferably 10-14 days in the summer holidays, but could do a week at easter / half term if necessary. Maximum £2000 for travel and self catering accommodation for two adults and one child (9).
We've always gone to Greece and had beach holidays but ds is now bored of this and wants to "go exploring". Highlights this year were kayaking on a river and visiting a ruined Castle (in Greece).
However it was 30 degrees plus and while that's lovely for the beach its too much for me to do anything very active!
So, suggestions for any alternatives? Don't really fancy euro parks or similar as we prefer quiet locations, although having said that some activities in the immediate area would be good. A kick in the right direction would be appreciated. Or local airport is Gatwick and Channel tunnel is do-able too.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 01-Oct-17 13:29:16

Last year we stayed at the Forest of Dean with my sister's family. My newphew was 10 and the activities on camp and in the surrounding are were right up his street. He keeps talking about that holiday.
www.forestholidays.co.uk/locations/heart-of-england-holidays/forest-of-dean-holidays/things-to-do
www.forestholidays.co.uk/locations/heart-of-england-holidays/forest-of-dean-holidays/whats-nearby

RhonaRugMuncherr Sun 01-Oct-17 13:31:27

What about Cambrils in Spain? Short flight to Reus. Location is about 1.5 hourish from Barcelona and Port Adventura theme park is nearby

imsorryiasked Sun 01-Oct-17 17:34:22

Thanks Rice, I'll have a look at that later.
And Rhonda, I did look at Cambrils as a resort but want sure there was enough to do there? Unfortunately none of us can "do" theme park rides so that's not a plus for us.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 01-Oct-17 17:40:25

Gothenburg. Lots of exploring opportunities, fantastic cycling, kayaking, sailing. Probably only a week's holiday really rather than 2 but great public transport from there to Norway so you could explore there as well.

MrsKnightley Sun 01-Oct-17 17:51:26

Split. Lots of history, islands and easy links into Bosnia and to Dubrovnik.

RhonaRugMuncherr Sun 01-Oct-17 18:14:21

Cambrils is fairly quiet, however it's a good base if you wanted to visit Barcelona, Salou, Tarragona, Montserrat.

You can get to Salou in around 30 mins via bus or ferry. Salou has typical tourist attractions and the beaches are nice. There's two water parks in the area, aquapolis and caribe - would that interest your DC?

imsorryiasked Sun 01-Oct-17 18:39:23

Yes water parks are definitely his thing. Well have another look.
DH & I have been to Split although not for a long time.
And Gothenburg is not in my radar at all so well definitely instate that.

PeasAndHarmony Sun 01-Oct-17 18:45:46

Have a look at an operator like Inghams for ideas on a lakes or mountains holiday.

We went to the Alps in Summer, was absolutely gorgeous, loads of activities like walking, cycling, climbing and it was warm but not too hot. Hotels were all fab too.

expatmigrant Sun 01-Oct-17 18:54:07

Look at Mark Warner or Neison if you're a sporty family. We all like cycling, sailing and tennis as well as chilling, so it has worked for us. Not cheap but it is almost all-inclusive

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 01-Oct-17 19:07:43

Would you drive? We love Le Banquet in the Dordogne. Think it might be within your budget. Weather not reliable in Easter or even May though. My two boys aren't the sitting round on a sunbed type either. It's 3 shared gites run by a lovely English couple who live on site but aren't intrusive. It's the capital of prehistory so loads of tourist attractions based around that. Caves, castles, canoeing on the river, crazy golf and aquarium and fab tree-top ropes park nearby, central for all amenities but lovely rural beautiful countryside. LeBanquet is beautiful, a river runs through it and it is so relaxing. Lovely shared pool which never feels crowded and sun beds for all. Fab games room with table tennis, table football, darts, pool table. Nice like-minded people.

We live in the north west and drive down in 2 day using the Eurotinnel and stopping in Rouen In a Novotel.

Www.lebanquet.com

We've been twice and will go back again in a year or two as still haven't seen everything in the area. Fancied a change this year so going to Majorca but will definitely be back another year

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 01-Oct-17 19:08:11

Oh, it was recommended to me by a couple of people on here. Great recommendation!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 01-Oct-17 19:18:34

Just checked prices, probably a tiny bit out of your budget for 2 weeks. Was more affordable last year when we first went.

imsorryiasked Sun 01-Oct-17 20:53:18

Thanks for all the suggestions, sadly we're not particularly sporty - swimming, kayaking (no rapids!) and walking is about it.
Le Banquet looks amazing - could maybe squeeze the budget for a week's stay and drive down and back, can't get flights cheap enough so will investigate further.

FairyPenguin Tue 10-Oct-17 16:54:37

How about a twin-centre holiday - walking in the Dolomites and then exploring around Lake Garda?

FairyPenguin Tue 10-Oct-17 16:55:33

PS Although Italy is hot in August, it's much cooler up in the mountains so walking is perfectly feasible!

CardinalSin Tue 10-Oct-17 18:17:41

Was going to recommend the Dordogne too. Just randomly looking at gites available for 2 weeks in July for 3 people, there are plenty. E.g. this one. Just over £600 for 2 weeks. Drive down there and you've got plenty of money left. There's plenty to do in the area (I particularly recommend canoeing down the Dordogne), and nice quiet areas too. There are cheap gites with pools too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now