Talk

Advanced search

Must see's in Northern Ireland! Ideas, please?

(25 Posts)
Draylon Thu 21-Sep-17 11:51:47

Seriously considering going to NI with DSs, 16/18 in October half term for 6-7 days.

What would you recommend we see and do? Boys are fine with sightseeing/walking. Won't want to go coasteering or similar!

TIA

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 21-Sep-17 12:09:34

Obvious cliches but

Giant's Causeway
The new(ish) Titanic museum
Apparently the Crumlin Rd prison has opened as a tourist attraction. Might be interesting to teens?

angemorange Thu 21-Sep-17 12:23:48

Live in NI - would recommend obvious North coast haunts - Portstewart Strand, Mussenden Temple, Giants Causeway, if into Game on Thrones Dark Hedges, Ballintoy Harbour.

Belfast for shopping/live music/theatre/eating out etc.

Ulster Museum in Belfast good for a wet day (and free!) also a few art galleries etc dotted about.

Maudlinmaud Thu 21-Sep-17 12:31:21

Hi. Lovely time of the year to visit.
Clichés are great, a real treat for sure.
The bus tour in the city is good. Also around Halloween time they offer the ghost walk and a tour of friars bush cemetery off botanic. I've done these and found them really interesting but I'm into old church yards etc. Haven't seen any advertising for them this year so maybe investigate that.
The Belfast arts festival is running until the 28 October and is always lots of fun.
Maybe a wee jaunt up to Derry/LondonDerry would interest you.
NI is a lovely part of the world.

Draylon Thu 21-Sep-17 14:13:14

Would you recommend a drive to Donegal? I believe it's about 2 -2.15 mins from Belfast. We don't mind long drives!

Maudlinmaud Thu 21-Sep-17 14:43:33

Draylon it's not a long drive, we drive up most weekends in the summer, although different direction and it's fine not particularly scenic but nice enough. If you want to see Donegal go for it.

Draylon Thu 21-Sep-17 15:27:39

OK, now thinking 3-4 days staying in Belfast, then 4-3 days in (London)Derry!

Maudlinmaud Thu 21-Sep-17 15:46:57

Derry is a good Base for heading over the border into Donegal. Really close. The peace bridge is a nice walk and then you can explore the walls. Lots happening around Halloween time too. They have a massive party on the night.
Great plan Draylon I'm slightly jealous and I live here.

Draylon Thu 21-Sep-17 15:57:21

Ooh, thanks! Am getting excited!

PoppyPopcorn Thu 21-Sep-17 16:08:10

Morelli's ice cream parlour in Portstewart is amazing. Carrick-A-Rede if they've a head for heights and Dunluce Castle and The Dark Hedges if they're into Game of Thrones.

sukitea Tue 26-Sep-17 19:28:45

If going to Derry be sure to do the Derry-Castlerock train trip. Michael Palin deemed it one of Europe's best.

sukitea Tue 26-Sep-17 19:34:03

Sorry meant to add that we went to NI one Oct half term and weather was like winter, so I wouldn't factor in North Antrim coast until nearer the time to see what it will be like. I would plan mostly indoor stuff to account for weather; Ulster Museum, Crumlin Road gaol, Titanic Experience etc. Hop on/off bus weather permitting.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 26-Sep-17 19:36:40

Derry is beautiful
Also lots of festivals and things on (check out energia on facebook)

Cakescakescakes Tue 26-Sep-17 19:45:39

If any of you are Game of Thrones fans then this is worth seeing at the minute..
visitbelfast.com/whats-on/event/game-of-thrones-tapestry

Cakescakescakes Tue 26-Sep-17 19:46:58

Also St George's Market in Belfast on a weekend morning for brunch.

Maverick66 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:54:48

Northern Ireland is a great place to visit lots to see and do.
Crumblin Road Jail is a must but double check availability as they do Halloween tours around this time of year. Boys will love it.
Definetely do a bus or taxi tour of Belfast and def a taxi tour of Derry.
I would recommend you split your time between the two cities.
Ulster museum usually has something going on.
Great places to eat and drink.
Recommend Avoca shop and coffe shop close to Victoria Square for a really tasty lunch.
Great shops in both Belfast and Derry.
Plenty of places to stay from fab hotels to self catering apartments and Air BnB.
Check what's on in the theatres.
Opera House, Waterfront and Lyric in Belfast or Millenium Forum Derry.
Take a day trip to Dublin on the train.
As I say lots and lots to do.

MiniAlphaBravo Tue 26-Sep-17 20:03:54

North coast is stil spectacular when weather is cold so I def would plan to do the north coast but wrap up warm. I personally wouldn't want to just stay inside. Benone beach, mussenden temple, portstewart, drive or walk up binevanagh, maybe even ferry to rathlin island weather permitting. Derry walls and museum and maybe a show at the millennium.
I don't know Belfast well.

Have fun! People are so friendly and there are now some lovely places to eat and drink.

EvelynWardrobe Tue 26-Sep-17 20:06:57

Dunluce Castle is great, so is the Causeway if you like outdoorsy stuff.

If you're NT members Mount Stewart and Castle Ward are fab.

Belfast International Arts Festival is on during October.

sukitea Tue 26-Sep-17 20:47:36

I haven't been to Mussenden temple, what exactly is there to do there? Also is it walkable from the train station?

EvelynWardrobe Tue 26-Sep-17 20:52:46

Nothing to do at the temple itself, but it's part of a nice walk where you can also take in Downhill House.

northdownmummy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:52:47

For kids on a rainy day W5 in Belfast is amazing. I love the north coast best on wild stormy days, the causeway then down to Dun Severik

EvelynWardrobe Tue 26-Sep-17 20:53:37

Sorry, 'nice' was a bit of a limp description, the views are amazing and the ruined house is great for exploring.

MiniAlphaBravo Tue 26-Sep-17 21:32:17

You can walk to mussenden from castlerock and there's a station there.
The temple is quite interesting and there are lovely views.

Draylon Thu 28-Sep-17 14:14:36

Thanks everyone, I am researching all your suggestions!

HeteronormativeHaybales Thu 28-Sep-17 14:19:11

Yes to W5 - went down well with my then 10 and 7yo boys. I wasn't as impressed with the Titanic exhibition as I'd expected to be, tbh, although it was certainly a good way to spend a morning.

Giant's Causeway went down a treat. Boys also loved going on the ferry to Rathlin Island - it was a VERY windy day and the ride was hair-raising to say the least shock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now