Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best (non tacky) resort in Menorca

(20 Posts)
AndIAskMyself Tue 18-Jul-17 19:03:58

So we've narrowed down that our next holiday will be in September, our son will be 2, and we're keen on Menorca. But we have the following requirements:

- A resort that isn't too big and full of English pubs. Around 10 nice restaurants would be nice - looked at Santo Tomas but not sure if that might be too quiet?
- Somewhere not too hilly because our son will only be 2
- Apartments with a kids club would be nice
- Apartments that aren't too dated though

We either want to go half board (ideally) or self catering

OnyK Tue 18-Jul-17 21:34:07

We stayed in Cala Blanca several years ago, but that might also be too quiet, unless it's a bit more developed than it used to be. There was an Irish bar, but it was full of Spaniards, not Brits/Irish!

lookingforsomething Tue 18-Jul-17 21:37:18

We have been to the San Valentin hotel several times which is great for families. The resort is not too touristy . i can't remember the name of the area now as it's a while ago, but you can google it.

lookingforsomething Tue 18-Jul-17 21:37:44

Son Bou

CarriMarie Tue 18-Jul-17 21:44:40

I think Cala Galdana would fit all your requirements.

Comedyusername Tue 18-Jul-17 21:50:51

We did Cala Galdana when our boy was 6 months old. Stayed in a fairly basic apartment (next door to the adults only hotel) with a nice pool and close to the sandy beach. We had a great time. I remember there was a big hotel by the beach, with nightly entertainment, which might tick your boxes

Tigresswoods Tue 18-Jul-17 21:51:52

Isn't Son Bou nudist?

musicmum75 Tue 18-Jul-17 21:55:52

Tigresswoods only the far end! I have been going to Son Bou since I was a little girl. We go every year now as my mum owns an apartment there. I really recommend it. Cala Galdana is my second favourite. Santo Tomas is lovely but very very quiet.

If you go to Son Bou try to stay some where at the bottom of the hilll like Club San Jaime, Son Bou Gardens or Club Royals. The ones at the top like San Valentin are a very long way from the beach.

Falconhoof1 Tue 18-Jul-17 21:59:37

We stayed in Sa Caleta a few years back and enjoyed that. Small place but short bus ride to Cuitadella and had nice restaurants.

Falconhoof1 Tue 18-Jul-17 22:00:30

Hotel was Blanc Palace which had a kids club and was very nice.

Falconhoof1 Tue 18-Jul-17 22:01:06

But it was hilly!

tissuesosoft Tue 18-Jul-17 22:01:50

Son bou- valentin or royal son bou holiday club

busyboysmum Tue 18-Jul-17 22:03:27

Gala Galdana is lovely. We usually stay in Cala Blanca as we love Cuitadella and always hire a car and go there in the evenings.

thatsthewayitgoes Tue 18-Jul-17 22:03:46

Son bou is lovely - we stayed there last year. Very central and easy to explore lots of the island from there x

Fourmagpies Tue 18-Jul-17 22:12:01

Not Cala'n Forcat! To be fair, Talayot apartments where we stayed weren't too bad though it was October so end of the season, but I wouldn't go back. Son Bou seemed nice.

budgiegirl Fri 21-Jul-17 21:08:32

I like Son Bou - we usually stay in a villa or apartment at the top of the hill for stunning views, but it is quite a long walk to the beach, and a steep climb back up.

The San Valentin looks nice, but is at the top of the hill. But I'm pretty sure they have a courtesy bus to the beach/shops

The Royal Son Bou is well located , easy walking to the shops/restaurants and the fabulous beach .

budgiegirl Fri 21-Jul-17 21:12:42

We also like Playas de Fornells, very pretty, and there are a couple of aparthotels there. Not sure about kids clubs.

A few restaurants and bars (perhaps 5 or so), and a nice beach within walking distance.

There are also some fabulous fish restaurants in the nearby fishing village of Fornells, it's quite a walk, but doable if your DS is in a buggy, and you can always get a taxi back again. It's very pretty in the evening when all the lights are on.

AndIAskMyself Tue 17-Oct-17 13:40:06

So lots of people recommended Son Bou and Cala Galdana. In Son Bou I've found a pretty cheap place that looks quite nice - Son Bou Playa Gold. Has anyone been?

Any tips for places to go/things to do in Son Bou?

Poppys Thu 02-Nov-17 18:40:32

We stayed in Santo Tomas for two years running when our DC were 2&4 and then 3&5 and the resort was perfect for our needs. The resort is compact and flat so easy with a pushchair and the beach is lovely. Santo Tomas has a few nice beach front restaurants but if you are planning to go half board then you might not need loads of restaurants. We stayed AI at the Mestral & Lleiburg apartments which was perfect with little ones. Good luck!

budgiegirl Tue 14-Nov-17 22:38:01

There's not a huge amount to do in Son Bou itself, quite a few restaurants and bars though, and a few tourist shops.

The beach is lovely, very long and nice sand, a couple of beach bars/cafes, watersports and a floating obstacle course.

There's usually a bouncy castle etc in the evenings for little ones.

There's a large swimming pool at the Club San Jaime if you fancy a change from the apartment pool, with a bar/restaurant that does decent food, and a couple of large water slides. They also do evening entertainment there as well (tribute acts etc) if you are into that sort of thing.

If you want to go elsewhere on the island, then you can get a bus to the main towns, or it can be worth renting a car for a couple of days, as there are some lovely places to explore on the island. The capital Mahon (Mao) is nice, with boat trips round the harbour, and Cuitadella at the far west is lovely as well. There are any number of small coves and beaches to explore, they say there are 365 beaches, one for every day of the year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now