Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much money do I need to take to Turkey?

(9 Posts)
savasana Sun 25-Jun-17 17:56:25

We're going to Turkey (Dalaman) for 4 days. Two adults. B&B. How cheap/expensive will it be to eat out on average?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sun 25-Jun-17 19:47:53

We normally allow £100 a day for food and drink for 2 adults and 2 children. We aren't big drinkers, just a few beers and a bottle of wine.

savasana Sun 25-Jun-17 20:31:05

Oh ok, less than I was expecting! Thanks

Elmo230885 Sun 25-Jun-17 20:56:28

Not sure on what to advice re: amount as the only time I've been to Turkey I was all inclusive but when we went into the local town the shop keepers wanted English money or Euros rather than their own Lira. Not sure if restaurants and bars etc would be different
Sorry I know that's not what you asked

savasana Mon 26-Jun-17 07:09:16

Oh! Interesting! Haha that's just added to my uncertainty! More research required ...

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Jun-17 07:14:11

I wouldn't pay with Pounds or Euros in local restaurants & shops. You will be skewered over the exchange rate.

Unless you are sure to get a great conversion rate in the UK, I would just take the minimum amount of cash and then just withdraw Liras from cash machines.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 26-Jun-17 14:16:21

I agrew with CoteDAzur, it's always best to use lira. Shopkeepers may prefer sterling or euro but that is because they will get a better deal. Sometimes it is better to book trips in sterling but for eating and drinking and in local shops lira is best. You will get a better rate out there.

Elmo230885 Tue 27-Jun-17 18:06:03

Oops sorry
Didn't mean to make it more complicated, I think it depends on the resort. We went to a very small place, Sarigerme I think ( not sure about the spelling!)

Elmo230885 Tue 27-Jun-17 18:08:18

And everything was so cheap I wasn't particularly bothered about the exchange rate. TBF they tended to ask for a higher equivilant in Lira than in pounds/euros I guess so they can hold on to them until they get a good rate.
This is just my limited experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now