Talk

Advanced search

Aparthotel Playa Mar in Puerto Pollensa

(9 Posts)
KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Mon 19-Jun-17 06:56:08

We are booked to go here soon as I'd read nice things about the resort and thought the hotel looked good.

I'm now - typically - coming across some very mixed reviews of the place. I wondered if anyone had stayed here and could hopefully tell me the positives! I'm a bit worried now.

Also, any tips for things to do or where to go would be very appreciated.

Icequeen01 Mon 19-Jun-17 07:53:33

We stayed there a couple of years ago. If you have young children they will love it. For us it wasn't so great as our DS was 14 at the time. We said that had we gone there 7 years earlier he would have been in paradise. The pool area has a couple of slides and is really good for small children but was very crowded in August.

My overall feelings about the hotel were mixed. The spa area was lovely and was a lifesaver for us all to get away from all the little people to give our ears a rest smile

The food was ok, not great and a little repetitive, but certainly not awful.

The entertainment was Butlin's style but loved by the little ones - not so much our 14 year old who was cringing smile

The rooms were, I have to say, the most disappointing part of our holiday. DS effectively had to sleep on the floor as the bottom of the sofa pulled out. It actually gave him backache! The kitchenette is the smallest area I have ever seen! I doubt you could cook a meal in there. That didn't bother us as we ate out each night but may cause a problem if you want to self cater. The room also needed a bit of an upgrade as it was looking tired.

The staff were fab and couldn't do enough to help.

The Pine Walk which is just a couple of mins walk from the hotel is just gorgeous for an evening stroll and we loved walking along late at night.

I'm sure you will have a lovely holiday there. I think there are always compromises on holiday unless you can pay for a 5 star hotel! Have fun.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Mon 19-Jun-17 08:15:45

Thank you flowers.

We have an ASD DD who is 18 and not interested in usual teenage stuff, so she won't mind. DS is 8 and will probably lap it up.

We are AI, but suspect we will be going down to the main beach quite frequently so will eat away from the hotel too. I'd not planned on that, but I would imagine that will work better for us.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 19-Jun-17 08:23:37

We stayed there about 4 years ago. The rooms needed an upgrade then so I hope they've been done. Very basic. The hotel is ok but don't know how it got 4 stars. The pool area is ok but very overcrowded, food was fine just repetitive. The reps are a bit full on. Ok if you like constant dances round the pool and water polo. It's not as bad as Butlins or some other family resorts. The beach down the end of the road is quiet and a nice escape. My 8 year old at the time loved it all.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Mon 19-Jun-17 08:32:19

Thanks chestnuts. It was a very 4* price grin.

I don't mind busy but it's a pain if there isn't anywhere to put your stuff when you go into the pool. I can't be doing with getting up at 4am to reserve sunbeds. This is why I think we'll head to the beach. DS will probably like some of the entertainment.

We're there in the first week of August, so probably crazy busy.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 19-Jun-17 08:49:55

It was a bit of a sunbed dash to be honest. They unlock them and everyone stands around waiting to grab them. It was ok to be honest, there was no trouble or big drinkers. Just a bit crowded and basic (but then so are a lot of hotels in Europe). You'll be fine. The Pine walk is lovely, there is a nice square at the end of it surrounded by restaurants where all the kids play; you can get air conditioned buses into Pollensa old town and Alcudia. There is a lovely beach at Formenter. I would get a car and visit Deia, Soller, Palma. There is a wooden train from Palma to Soller that's beautiful. Caves of Drac worth a visit.

Icequeen01 Mon 19-Jun-17 19:21:03

Glad Chestnut's views are the same as mine. You always worry that someone else is going to come along with a completely opposite view! One thing that we did do whilst we were there was go out on a boat (I think it was a Thomson organised trip. We sailed around the Island and stopped to go snorkelling and swimming and my DH and DS got the chance to do a little fishing. It was a really lovely day and I guess we were with about another 20 people who were good company. Not a boozy trip, more for families.

I would definitely recommend getting a car to explore the area.

Makemineacabsauv Thu 22-Jun-17 22:21:32

Can only agree with ice queen! It was a bit too much Brits abroad for us as it's a British only hotel. People getting up at silly o'clock to reserve sunbeds etc. We wouldn't go back! But the spa area was fab and great to get kids out of the midday heat! You will still have a fab holiday as it is what you make it.
The big pirates night out is amazing and well worth the money but the waterparks are a bit busy and full of groups of lads from Magaluff having fun - but off putting for kids. Apparently there's also a waterpark in Alcudia but we didn't try that! Some lovely restaurants in town and one across the road / another one down the road, to your right if you stand with your back to the front door of playa mar, but like a fab wee deli.

SSYMONDS Thu 22-Jun-17 22:27:03

We were here a couple of years ago. It's a v Brits abroad resort, but we actually had a lovely time. Our kids are young and loved kids club, there's two good restaurants (ask at reception - a good small Italian- name is something to do with love I think, and one around to the right of the hotel called sol something - really excellent and good price. We hired a car for a couple days (easy and cheap) and went to interesting places around the island- palma, mosquit beach etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now